[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Not really a great "offer" then? Losing the ability to take your Windows 7/8 along with you through all the PCs you build for the ability to have Windows 10 on one PC and never again.

You may wish to purchase a retail license rather than take the free upgrade in that case.

Not really a great "offer" then? Losing the ability to take your Windows 7/8 along with you through all the PCs you build for the ability to have Windows 10 on one PC and never again.

It's no different from upgrading previous Windows releases. The old key is still activated for the upgrade.

That's why it's an upgrade. You UPGRADE your previous version to something new.

If you want to keep your older versions you will have to buy a retail version of Win 10

Yes. You're upgrading the 7/8.1 key.

No. If you upgrade without any prior key, you'll remain in the insider program, and be pushed pre release build like you are now. If you opt out, you'll fall under normal activation procedures. You'll need to upgrade your 7 or 8.1 install, or but a new Windows 10 key.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-insider-program-is-not-a-free-upgrade-path-for-xp-users-to-windows-10

You should stick with Insider then...  if you want free, don't opt out.

You should have listen to keynote that time. 

You should stick with Insider then... if you want free, don't opt out.

You should have listen to keynote that time.

You're going to put Joe User on the Insiders track? You're going to upgrade a production machine to the Insiders track?

Now that I think about it, they are probably being smart about it. Anyone can just sign up to be an insider and install via an ISO and they don't necessarily own ANY Windows licenses. I'll probably try a couple more preview builds and then re-install Windows 8.1 and get my free product key the right way. I don't want to be locked into preview builds after release.

You're going to put Joe User on the Insiders track? You're going to upgrade a production machine to the Insiders track?

So?

You think I have only one device... 

:rolleyes:

Interesting: Microsoft's External Ring has been on 10134 for a while, but they are now back on 10130. Anyway, it's now up to build 10154 or higher for the next preview.

A possible workaround for people having issues with Win10 installing drivers automatically:

Hi,
The following instructions may help you in preventing an unwanted driver being installed over an existing driver. Only use this if the driver being offered is causing system crashes or instability and you know the previous driver was functioning as expected.
(updated 5/4/2015)
First, Uninstall the unwanted driver:
Launch the Device Manager with a right click on the lower left corner of the desktop and a left click on Device Manager.
Located the device driver with the problem driver installed, right click and choose uninstall
In the uninstall dialog, check the box to Delete the driver software for this device if available
 Now run this script
Copy the Script Text below into Notepad and save it on your desktop as "hidedrivers.vbs"
From the Start menu, search for command prompt. In the results, right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
Type cscript %userprofile%\desktop\hidedrivers.vbs and hit Enter.
If a driver update can be hidden, you will see a prompt in the command window to type 

I've got a feeling we'll be getting Phone and PC builds today.

At this point i'll be surprised if we get one this month.  Would really like to start testing with it at work, but I am not going to use some leaked copy and I find 10130 quite buggy.

Will the final version of the Edge browser be released at the same time as Windows 10? It still seems incredibly buggy as soon as you have (even just) a few tabs open...

Will the final version of the Edge browser be released at the same time as Windows 10? It still seems incredibly buggy as soon as you have (even just) a few tabs open...

Not sure about final but MS says they will rename Spartan browser to Edge in the next build. If the Edge isn't buggy by RTM, then it could be final unless they will fix it after RTM if anyone finds a bug or two in the browser. They have a month left before Windows 10 launch.

So i reinstalled my genuine 7 Home Basic, and then updated to 10130. When the final version comes out next month, all i have to do is upgrade, right? Or I have to go back to 7 and then upgrade. :hmmm:

So i reinstalled my genuine 7 Home Basic, and then updated to 10130. When the final version comes out next month, all i have to do is upgrade, right? Or I have to go back to 7 and then upgrade. :hmmm:

If you want to be Insider after RTM, then no need to roll back... just upgrade to RTM then do the clean install if you like.

If you don't want to be Insider after RTM, then roll back to Windows 7 then reserve Windows 10 for July 29th Launch. 

damn the latest build doesn't work on an HP media center Q6600 build :( meeeeehhhhhhh! it refuses to get past 60% no matter the media!!!! ugh 

If you want to be Insider after RTM, then no need to roll back... just upgrade to RTM then do the clean install if you like.

If you don't want to be Insider after RTM, then roll back to Windows 7 then reserve Windows 10 for July 29th Launch.

That's not true. You can update to the RTM build and then disable the Windows Insider program in the update settings, no need to roll back to your previous version of Windows.

Regarding licencing, I'm wouldn't surprise me at all if MS waive a lot of those restrictions as time goes by just to get more and more people upgraded since it will mean more ad revenue streams being clicked on ...

That's not true. You can update to the RTM build and then disable the Windows Insider program in the update settings, no need to roll back to your previous version of Windows.

Yeah but you would then need to provide a valid license or upgrade from your legit previous license (Windows 7/8)

Windows 10 default wallpaper?

W10_Laptop_Start_MiniStart_16x9_en-US_04

(via Wired)

I like it, much better than those pretty bad ones included in the preview.

Although, the Wired quote states about not building it in a computer, about it being real... then the video and subsequent explanation goes on to tell you how it's a ten exposure composite stitched together blah blah blah... so made in a computer then.

Although, the Wired quote states about not building it in a computer, about it being real... then the video and subsequent explanation goes on to tell you how it's a ten exposure composite stitched together blah blah blah... so made in a computer then.

Yes, but how would a full design studio spend all that money and time on the project if they couldn't play around with lasers and lights to make something look computer generated? 

Yes, but how would a full design studio spend all that money and time on the project if they couldn't play around with lasers and lights to make something look computer generated? 

Of course, i'm not saying i wouldn't personally enjoy it myself :p

Yeah with all due respects to the people involved, it could've been done for much cheaper in Photoshop and much faster

I guess there might be video versions of it for marketing which probably justifies the whole thing.

So the Windows Update to WTP 10 was just a click bait. I hope they somehow manage to keep our license in the hd so we don't have to roll back in 29th.

Roll Back to 7 then upgrade to RTM then do a clean install. I'll be busy :s