[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

So the Windows Update to WTP 10 was just a click bait. I hope they somehow manage to keep our license in the hd so we don't have to roll back in 29th.

Roll Back to 7 then upgrade to RTM then do a clean install. I'll be busy :s

Clean install Windows 10 beta builds -> Upgrade to Windows 10 RTM, *BUT* remain on the Insider's Program, and be pushed new beta builds after RTM.

Clean install Windows 10 beta builds -> Upgrade to Windows 10 RTM, *BUT* mandatory roll back to previous licensed install (7 or 8.1) to upgrade to RTM, and leave the Insider's Program.  

Clean install Windows 10 beta builds -> Upgrade to Windows 10 RTM, *BUT* remain on the Insider's Program, and be pushed new beta builds after RTM.

Clean install Windows 10 beta builds -> Upgrade to Windows 10 RTM, *BUT* mandatory roll back to previous licensed install (7 or 8.1) to upgrade to RTM, and leave the Insider's Program.  

If you clean install the beta, how can you "roll back to previous licensed install"?

If you clean install the beta, how can you "roll back to previous licensed install"?

click on rollback button in settings or recovery section. ( can't remember where )..  I remember seeing the rollback button.  (I am not on Windows 10 system, it is in other room.)

or wipe and clean install 7 or 8.1

People shouldn't be so fixated on clean installs anymore, since Windows 7 a "upgrade" has been a clean install + migration.   It's really a clean install that just moves your data and settings back after it's done.  If you still have issues after it a quick refresh/reset will take you back to a "clean install".

People shouldn't be so fixated on clean installs anymore, since Windows 7 a "upgrade" has been a clean install + migration. It's really a clean install that just moves your data and settings back after it's done. If you still have issues after it a quick refresh/reset will take you back to a "clean install".

Whilst that may be true, the migration step, in my experience has not been very reliable between preview builds.

New mail app icon:

28jcwmq.png

I hate the new mail app. It looks like and Android app completely. They have hidden everything behind a hamburger and to switch accounts (unlike 8.1 where it was just a single tap) it takes three taps (the hamburger, the account you are currently in, then the account you want to switch to).

New mail app icon:

28jcwmq.png

I hate the new mail app. It looks like and Android app completely. They have hidden everything behind a hamburger and to switch accounts (unlike 8.1 where it was just a single tap) it takes three taps (the hamburger, the account you are currently in, then the account you want to switch to).

Well, that has been there for quiet some time now.

damn the latest build doesn't work on an HP media center Q6600 build :( meeeeehhhhhhh! it refuses to get past 60% no matter the media!!!! ugh 

That's odd - my current CPU is a Q6600 - what chipset is that HP?

In my case, it's G41 - the CSS (Corporate Stable Stumblebum) of the Core 2 era.  Despite G41 supporting (in this implementation) PCI Express x16, SATA, USB 2.0 (all the hot-button features of the era except AHCI) and every LGA775 Core 2 and derivative in the same socket Intel ever made, being Corporate-Stable meant it was as solid as rebarred concrete; critics panned it because it was as overclockable as said concrete AND the lack of AHCI got G41 its share of dings as well. (Instead, the recommendation - if you HAD to have a G4x chipset - was the far-less-common - but AHCI-supporting - G43.)

This is actually the THIRD Intel CPU this motherboard has seen - Q6600 was preceded by two Celeron DCs; E1200 and E3400 - E3400 supported VT-x, which E1200 lacked.  When the Upgrade Itch came along, I skipped C2D altogether, going with a used Q6600.  (While the previous owner DID overclock, since it was going into this motherboard - which I had originally planned on giving to Mom - overclocking wasn't on the agenda.  Therefore, I figured on it lasting longer than has been typical of Q6xxx - most of which that were purchased retail were overcranked.)

Well, that has been there for quiet some time now.

They updated the mail app and the icon. The UI is different, more android like.

They updated the mail app and the icon. The UI is different, more android like.

Which has been there for a while, we discussed it a couple of pages ago.

That's ######ing stupid, by the moment they offered Windows Technical Preview to 7 users, they should carry away our license. I'm leaving this insider mess when RTM arrives.

That's odd - my current CPU is a Q6600 - what chipset is that HP?

In my case, it's G41 - the CSS (Corporate Stable Stumblebum) of the Core 2 era.  Despite G41 supporting (in this implementation) PCI Express x16, SATA, USB 2.0 (all the hot-button features of the era except AHCI) and every LGA775 Core 2 and derivative in the same socket Intel ever made, being Corporate-Stable meant it was as solid as rebarred concrete; critics panned it because it was as overclockable as said concrete AND the lack of AHCI got G41 its share of dings as well. (Instead, the recommendation - if you HAD to have a G4x chipset - was the far-less-common - but AHCI-supporting - G43.)

This is actually the THIRD Intel CPU this motherboard has seen - Q6600 was preceded by two Celeron DCs; E1200 and E3400 - E3400 supported VT-x, which E1200 lacked.  When the Upgrade Itch came along, I skipped C2D altogether, going with a used Q6600.  (While the previous owner DID overclock, since it was going into this motherboard - which I had originally planned on giving to Mom - overclocking wasn't on the agenda.  Therefore, I figured on it lasting longer than has been typical of Q6xxx - most of which that were purchased retail were overcranked.)

it has AHCI support

That's ######ing stupid, by the moment they offered Windows Technical Preview to 7 users, they should carry away our license. I'm leaving this insider mess when RTM arrives.

They do carry away your license. Dot Matrix is wrong. It goes like this:

If you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, your license is used to activate Windows 10 Previews and you can upgrade to the Windows 10 RTM as soon as available, step out of the Windows Insider Program, and have a nice stable environment.

Only if you did at some point a clean install, you'll have to revert back to a legit Windows 7 or 8.1 installation and upgrade to Windows 10. But only if you don't want to continue in the Insider Program. For those that do, the RTM will be just another preview build for the things that come beyond Windows 10 and the build will expire after a while like Preview builds do today.

• Like 2

Microsoft has come out with some really bad icons recently (not the recycle bin and folder, the music and maps and games etc)...

I still like WP8(.1) start screen design much-much-much better. That had it's own personality. For me this looks like a cheap wp8-clone launcher for android, or any media center software UI. (I know the old background option is there too, I'm talking about this transparent tile design)

I don't see what's so bad about the new icons. The only one that looks a little lame is the calculator, everything else looks fine to me.

I still like WP8(.1) start screen design much-much-much better. That had it's own personality. For me this looks like a cheap wp8-clone launcher for android, or any media center software UI. (I know the old background option is there too, I'm talking about this transparent tile design)

Luckily this doesn't bother you at all because you still have the old style.

The only one I would like changed back to the old one is the icon for Music. I liked the headphones a lot more then that silly CD

Any chance we get a new official build today?

For the desktop you mean?  I doubt it, I don't think they've ever released desktop and mobile builds back to back, I'm betting it'll be next week, Monday or Tuesday before the month ends.

Anyone try the newest leak?  I haven't bothered to look for it at this point, I'm just going to wait for RTM and upgrade my 8.1 devices.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but why did they go to the trouble of updating the Control Panel icons (I know they were technically updated a couple builds ago) if they were planning to completely scrap it? Are the icons used in other places as well?

Or was the whole "they're going to remove the Control Panel" an inaccurate rumor that the Internet caused to explode, as usual?

Any chance we get a new official build today?

Not a single person here would know the answer to that. A couple like to imply they do, but in reality just report whatever Gabe Aul said on his Twitter page.

I was saying maybe today only because of how much they were talking about that new Hero wallpaper for Windows 10 yesterday. Joe Belfiore said it would be on desktop "shortly" and Gabe Aul then confirmed it's already in a "future build" when someone asked for a download link to the wallpaper. He implied it was a preview build. I just thought MAYBE today for a PC release since they are actually making people wait for that wallpaper after teasing the hell out of it. I don't see them making people wait a month for another build to get that wallpaper. Next week at the latest.

Gabe Aul said they don't like doing two releases in one day. I don't think he ever said anything about mobile one day then PC the next never happening. He said Fridays and Mondays are usually days they prefer not to release anything, but to never say never.

Truth is, nobody has a clue and they could release anything at anytime. I just went by how they were teasing the hell out of that wallpaper.