[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I like it, much better than those pretty bad ones included in the preview.

Although, the Wired quote states about not building it in a computer, about it being real... then the video and subsequent explanation goes on to tell you how it's a ten exposure composite stitched together blah blah blah... so made in a computer then.

Not really. that's how your eyes would see the image when they made it. cameras have issues seeing this. they probably could have gotten away with 3 exposures, but 10 makes for better depth when you can do it, which in a studio situation you can.

It's just multiple exposures to create a HDR image (all RAW files are HDR's just with less depth) then tone mapped to a standard presentable image looking like what we would see when looking at it.

you know as opposed to me doing that same image in 10 minutes with 3DSMAX and a projector light and volumetric fog/light effects. 

• Like 1

If you want to know when the build comes out or not...  keep an eye on Gabe's twitter:

http://twitter.com/gabeaul

He will let us know when the build comes out or not.  

If you don't have twitter account, then check the Insider app on your device and Gabe will post a blog about new build release.

The only one I would like changed back to the old one is the icon for Music. I liked the headphones a lot more then that silly CD

It's not a CD. it's much better and make a lot more sense than that, and unlike headphones the new music icon represents something that is uniquely music. 

Though I can see how younger people don't recognize it, heck I'm a generation to young 

It's not a CD. it's much better and make a lot more sense than that, and unlike headphones the new music icon represents something that is uniquely music. 

Though I can see how younger people don't recognize it, heck I'm a generation to young 

So if it's not a CD, what is it then?

Is it something I should recognize as a 70'ies baby?

So if it's not a CD, what is it then?

Is it something I should recognize as a 70'ies baby?

It's a vinyl disk :D

Well, I finally managed to get the latest build installed - went back to a VM since the laptop wasn't cooperating. 10 is getting more asinine with every build! I can't have Frankenmenu in "Screen" (what a frickin joke!) mode in "desktop mode"? I can't access Start settings in "tablet mode"? Way more complicated than 8, and far harder to navigate than it should be. I'll give it a few more tries, but if this is what they're foisting upon us, there's no way I'm upgrading. Now if I can just get 8 back on my laptop, so it can have a functional OS. I've been against the whole mode concept from the beginning, but isolating different controls in different "modes"? What brainless jackass came up with that? I want the free effortless flow I had in 8 back, not this rigid compartmentalized  . . . abomination.

I intend to give it a better lookover later - and any suggestions are appreciated, but at the moment I'm of the opinion that this is complete garbage.

~

Well, I finally managed to get the latest build installed - went back to a VM since the laptop wasn't cooperating. 10 is getting more asinine with every build! I can't have Frankenmenu in "Screen" (what a frickin joke!) mode in "desktop mode"? I can't access Start settings in "tablet mode"?

What are you talking about? 

~

What are you talking about? 

My initial impressions of the latest build, now that I've successfully got it running? Maybe my opinion will change with a bit more time spent, but at the moment I just don't see how I can possibly use this thing.

~

My initial impressions of the latest build, now that I've successfully got it running? Maybe my opinion will change with a bit more time spent, but at the moment I just don't see how I can possibly use this thing.

I mean I don't understand the issues you're mentioning.  What frankenmenu in "screen"?  Start settings in tablet mode?  Is there something wrong with your install? 

Does anyone else think when Satya Nadella said there would be some tough choices ahead that he might be talking about the Start Screen? Here's my reason for that notion. All the icons being white doesn't seem practical and at the same time multi-colored icons on the Start Screen doesn't seem feasible either. I mean I know they haven't introduced them yet, but the larger (Interactive) Live Tiles seem worth keeping. If they keep those, but have the regular icons with no background for everything else. I would like that. I know there might be others that don't. It does seem kind of like a corner they are in.

My No. 1 complaint is Microsoft is clueless as to what settings to hide and what to show on first glance. They end up hiding the most required settings and the unneeded settings are vomited on your face.

In it's current near-final state, Windows 10 looks like it will do whatever Microsoft wants to do to your PC in the background while giving you the middle finger.

What settings are vomited in your face exactly?  And what most required settings are hidden?   Maybe it's just me but I haven't noticed this, the only stuff "hidden" is the advanced settings still left that use the old popup dialog boxes or control panel, due to time they can't put everything into the new settings app, but having said that, the most used and needed settings are already in the new app.

Strange to see square pictures come back now, but I'm not complaining. I really want a new build.

~

I mean I don't understand the issues you're mentioning.  What frankenmenu in "screen"?  Start settings in tablet mode?  Is there something wrong with your install? 

I'd actually be thrilled if there were something wrong with my install, but I doubt that's the case. Frankenmenu is my term for the abysmal Menu/Screen hybrid 10 uses. It seems the only way I can activate Frankenmenu's "Screen mode" (a poor imitation of the real Screen) is to use tablet mode, which is unacceptable. I don't want the Menu in any mode or on any machine! I can't right-click on the taskbar to access the settings for Start in tablet mode, which is also unacceptable. What is the point of having the taskbar visible in tablet mode if it doesn't have all the same functions as in desktop mode?

Why am I forced into discrete "modes" in the first place rather than having easy access to all functions as in 8.x?

It still uses the tiny sidebar for all apps, which has never been acceptable.

It seems with every build Microsoft gets further away from a usable OS.

~

I'd actually be thrilled if there were something wrong with my install, but I doubt that's the case. Frankenmenu is my term for the abysmal Menu/Screen hybrid 10 uses. It seems the only way I can activate Frankenmenu's "Screen mode" (a poor imitation of the real Screen) is to use tablet mode, which is unacceptable. I don't want the Menu in any mode or on any machine! I can't right-click on the taskbar to access the settings for Start in tablet mode, which is also unacceptable. What is the point of having the taskbar visible in tablet mode if it doesn't have all the same functions as in desktop mode?

Why am I forced into discrete "modes" in the first place rather than having easy access to all functions as in 8.x?

It still uses the tiny sidebar for all apps, which has never been acceptable.

It seems with every build Microsoft gets further away from a usable OS.

Settings > Personalization > Start behaviors > Use full screen Start when in desktop
So that's problem # 1 out ot the way. It you hate the Start screen in 10 compared to 8.1 can't help you, it's a substantial improvement in my book, horizontal scrolling was extremely unfriendly.
The settings for Start are now in Settings (where they belong, not some awful touch-unfriendly popup dialog) so why are you trying to get to them by right clicking the taskbar?
Not all of them have migrated yet (the big one being taskbar position) but is it such a big deal to pop out of tablet mode for a second to change them, presumably after you've
hooked up a mouse and keyboard so you don't have to peck around with your finger tor those tiny touch targets?

Also the all apps list is much more touch friendly than the full screen "all apps" list since you can get to everything with your thumb. I don't know why people hate it so much, I think it's much better UX across the board. Lists just make more sense. 

You sound like the people that hated 8 when it first came out. I loved 8, I love 10 more.  I'm really looking forward to what it's going to look like this time next year. I've got it on a tablet and laptop that I both use every day and I think it's perfect on both. 

~

Settings > Personalization > Start behaviors > Use full screen Start when in desktop

I'll check that out.

So that's problem # 1 out ot the way. It you hate the Start screen in 10 compared to 8.1 can't help you, it's a substantial improvement in my book, horizontal scrolling was extremely unfriendly.

Miles of vertical scrolling is an improvement?

The settings for Start are now in Settings (where they belong, not some awful touch-unfriendly popup dialog) so why are you trying to get to them by right clicking the taskbar?

Because that's one way to access them in "desktop mode"? Why have something work in one mode and not the other, when the method of access is available in both?

Not all of them have migrated yet (the big one being taskbar position) but is it such a big deal to pop out of tablet mode for a second to change them, presumably after you've

hooked up a mouse and keyboard so you don't have to peck around with your finger tor those tiny touch targets?

I'm not a fan of being forced into discrete modes in the first place. Unnecessary complication of a system that worked fine. But if we must have them, functions need to be available in both.

Also the all apps list is much more touch friendly than the full screen "all apps" list since you can get to everything with your thumb. I don't know why people hate it so much, I think it's much better UX across the board. Lists just make more sense. 

LIst All Apps is asinine no matter the interface method. You have to roll the scroll wheel incessantly when using a mouse, and you need much more flicking with touch (not that I've used 10 on a touch-capable device - that would be masochistic.) Lists just take far too long - the fullscreen version, which let you visually scan with less scrolling, was far more efficient.

You sound like the people that hated 8 when it first came out. I loved 8, I love 10 more.  I'm really looking forward to what it's going to look like this time next year. I've got it on a tablet and laptop that I both use every day and I think it's perfect on both. 

I love 8, and virtually everything that made it so great for me has been excised from 10. I really see no reason to upgrade whatsoever. Hopefully further play will change my mind, but the lack of proper Start Screen and the terribly limiting concept of "modes" are likely deal breakers for me. 8 was so much more fluid, elegant and efficient.

10 really does seem like Frankenstein's monster in OS form.

Edit: Attempting to install on the laptop again to give it a more detailed testing.

Miles of vertical scrolling is an improvement?

Over miles of horizontal scrolling? Absolutely. 

Because that's one way to access them in "desktop mode"? Why have something work in one mode and not the other, when the method of access is available in both?

I think it should be removed from both and be put in settings where it belongs. Probably coming soon.  Falls under "polish" which they're still doing. 

LIst All Apps is asinine no matter the interface method. You have to roll the scroll wheel incessantly when using a mouse, and you need much more flicking with touch (not that I've used 10 on a touch-capable device - that would be masochistic.) Lists just take far too long - the fullscreen version, which let you visually scan with less scrolling, was far more efficient.

Click a letter.