[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Over miles of horizontal scrolling? Absolutely. 

I think it should be removed from both and be put in settings where it belongs. Probably coming soon.  Falls under "polish" which they're still doing. 

Click a letter. 

Miles? The full-screen presentation allowed much more room than the thin strip, so far less scrolling was needed. So little scrolling was actually needed, unlike the confined view we're getting. Why restrict the view to an inch or two wide on a 23" screen? This kind of presentation is useful on phones, but not on tablets or desktops.

You're in favor of fewer choices and fewer ways of doing things?

Letters: Oh, so they finally have that working. I'm used to it from Windows Phone, but clicking wasn't working on earlier builds when I tried it. I still think inline lists are only good for phones.

Edit: Trying it on the laptop, and with siah1214's suggestions its slightly more tolerable. I still miss fullscreen All Apps and Charms, though. I still may not upgrade unless there's some Universal Apps that are good enough to offset being stuck with Frankenmenu.

You can see the arm on the player. 

Came to say this and add.  Also a white turntable with black 45rpm disc complete with label and center hole (for stacking).  I'm guessing an early Beatles single

Miles? The full-screen presentation allowed much more room than the thin strip, so far less scrolling was needed. So little scrolling was actually needed, unlike the confined view we're getting. Why restrict the view to an inch or two wide on a 23" screen? This kind of presentation is useful on phones, but not on tablets or desktops.

I much prefer 10's method of grouping tiles than 8's.  In 8 you could make a group as big as you wanted and it would expand to the right, however, if you made that group small (so if I only had 2 tiles in it) the space under it was wasted.  In 10 you can fit a lot more in one screen and still have it all grouped together.  I wish the spacing was tighter and you could fit 2 wide tiles together but it looks like that's coming. I love it on my 24" 1080p monitor because you can have a bunch of columns and groups, it feels a lot more flexible and personal 

Ultimately I feel as though 10's start screen is a much better use of space.  Most 8 start screens I saw were just a massive block of tiles in one big group.  10 makes it much easier to sort them and not have nearly as much blank space. 

Keep playing with it, I think ultimately you'll like it. 

I agree, its spacing and vertical orientation is much better.  Its a little less fun than the horizontal, but much more practical.  Vertical lists just made more sense.

I like the new record icon for Music too. In fact, I like the soft, yet edgy nature of most of the new ones.

Because it makes no sense. They themselves said that they want Windows 10 in the hands of as many people as possible and are even making the free upgrade possible on pirated versions of Windows. Why would they cater to known pirates but not people who beta tested their OS?

I have always owned fully licensed copies of MS OS's. If you're an insider, why can't they just give some kind of serial number verification for the free upgrade? Why would they just leaves us out in the lurch?

I guess it's not a huge deal, because I can just clean install Windows 8.1 when they go RTM and then just be set for the upgrade when it's avilable.

Here's the thing:

1. It is NOT being made available for pirates running pirated versions of their software.  Microsoft isn't that stupid to give people something because they stole their previous version of Windows.
  2. If you're beta testing the OS, it's because you volunteered to.  No one made you do it.  So why would they now give it to your free just because you volunteered to beta test it.  Whether you gave feedback or not is irrelevant, since your feedback wasn't logged as being posted by you personally.
  3. No one is being left out in the lurch. You act like Microsoft is now going to remove all versions of Windows from your computer forever or something.  What are you, running Windows XP, and now you want the OS they release 14 years later to be free for you?  That is what makes no sense, frankly.
  • Like 4

Goodbye Windows Insiders. It's not me, it's you.

Come Windows 10 RTM, I've decided that I think it's time to leave the Windows Insiders program. This program has turned out to be quite a guise after users submitting so much feedback, that Microsoft, quite frankly, has ignored, and it turn is now shipping a product that is not what people wanted, especially on mobile. Looking through the feedback on touch mode, and tablet applications, you'll see thousands of people all saying the same things - the UX sucks, and isn't the right way forward. I agree. The touch UX is awful, and ignoring that feedback will be nails in the coffin for Microsoft. What good is the program, if Microsoft is going to ignore top feedback? 

With Windows 8, we had a series of great blogs behind the development and decision making process, with Windows 10, we've gotten nothing but silence as Microsoft worked to remove everything Windows 8, and replace it with desktop functionality, with many Insiders and non-Insiders alike wondering why. Windows 8.1 feels great to use on tablets, and on smartphones, while touch with Windows 10 feels tacked on, and mostly an afterthought. The full screen UX on Windows 8.1 is an amazing UX that no other OS offers, and now that's gone, replaced with largely desktop workflows that feature buttons, controls, and gizmos all cluttering up your screen. Gone is the rich and dynamic UX - the edge swipes, the radial menus, and the unified Charms. OneNote, for example, now features a desktop only workflow, which is awful to use with touch, and honestly, just isn't as fun as it was with the Radial Menu and chromeless UX. Again, many people have submitted the feedback, and asked for this back (looking at the feedback for OneNote, it is the number 1 request for the app!), only to be met with silence from Gabe Aul, and Microsoft.

The overall appearance of Windows 10 also lacks personality. With Windows 8, we had a rich UI with Metro elements that could be personalized: The Metro elements had colors that could be set to match your desktop wallpaper, or mood, and Start had an excellent selection of static or animated tattoos that gave the OS some life to it. All of these have been removed in Windows 10, and replaced with a largely black, dull, and lifeless UI that leaves much to be desired. Settings is the worst offender, and doesn't match anything in the OS. Legacy desktop applications all feature a bright, colorless titlebar/chrome, and there hasn't been any indication this will be changing any time soon. Again, the feedback was submitted by Insiders for Microsoft to fix this, and again they've been met with silence. 

The biggest straw I have with Windows Insiders is how few builds we were pushed, resulting in little time to test, and submit feedback. Edge, for example, didn't appear in builds until a few months ago, which I feel has resulted in Edge not being up to par as it should, heck even now it still retains it Project Spartan codename. Microsoft promised more builds for fast ring users, a promise which hasn't been kept. As I write this, fast ring users are still sitting on b10130, which is a month old at this point, and I'm starting to doubt whether or not we'll see another build before RTM. The program has been nothing but broken promises after broken promises.

While I have no doubt many will adopt Windows 10, especially on desktops, it's clear that largely overall, Windows Insiders have little part to play in the design process, and that Microsoft will be Microsoft when it comes to developing the next OS. Mistakes will be made, and under the guise of accepting feedback, they'll try to cover up the damage - "Look, we have glass and the Start Menu back!".

There are still things to like and look forward to in the OS. Cortana, for one, will be an excellent addition, along with the Xbox additions, but these features aren't going to have a huge consumer impact on the OS overall, and many businesses will be disabling these features for their workers.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing more changes at Microsoft before long, as people are shuffled around, fired, or forced out, and possibly even the death of the Surface and Lumia lines. Quite frankly, that scares me as they are two great products, now hampered by horrible management, and poor design decisions. Ignoring much of the feedback in this area, coupled with Microsoft's quick abandonment of Windows RT, It's clear to me that Microsoft's way forward on mobile devices is through iOS and Android, and not through their own product line. Windows 10 feels nothing more than a silent exit from the mobile competing arena. Unfortunately, desktops aren't where the competition is anymore. Consumers aren't lining up to purchase the latest Samsung, HP, or Dell desktops. No, they're waiting in line for the newest iPads, iPhones, Galaxies, etc. It's a shame, really, Windows 10, Surface tablets, and Lumia phones could be a real competitor to these devices - people could be waiting in line for Microsoft tablets and phones too, if Microsoft would listen - the feedback is there.

So, I guess this is goodbye, Windows Insiders. It's not me, it's you.

- Dot

Come Windows 10 RTM, I've decided that I think it's time to leave the Windows Insiders program. This program has turned out to be quite a guise after users submitting so much feedback, that Microsoft, quite frankly, has ignored, and it turn is now shipping a product that is not what people wanted, especially on mobile. Looking through the feedback on touch mode, and tablet applications, you'll see thousands of people all saying the same things - the UX sucks, and isn't the right way forward. I agree. The touch UX is awful, and ignoring that feedback will be nails in the coffin for Microsoft. What good is the program, if Microsoft is going to ignore top feedback? 

With Windows 8, we had a series of great blogs behind the development and decision making process, with Windows 10, we've gotten nothing but silence as Microsoft worked to remove everything Windows 8, and replace it with desktop functionality, with many Insiders and non-Insiders alike wondering why. Windows 8.1 feels great to use on tablets, and on smartphones, while touch with Windows 10 feels tacked on, and mostly an afterthought. The full screen UX on Windows 8.1 is an amazing UX that no other OS offers, and now that's gone, replaced with largely desktop workflows that feature buttons, controls, and gizmos all cluttering up your screen. Gone is the rich and dynamic UX - the edge swipes, the radial menus, and the unified Charms. OneNote, for example, now features a desktop only workflow, which is awful to use with touch, and honestly, just isn't as fun as it was with the Radial Menu and chromeless UX. Again, many people have submitted the feedback, and asked for this back (looking at the feedback for OneNote, it is the number 1 request for the app!), only to be met with silence from Gabe Aul, and Microsoft.

The overall appearance of Windows 10 also lacks personality. With Windows 8, we had a rich UI with Metro elements that could be personalized: The Metro elements had colors that could be set to match your desktop wallpaper, or mood, and Start had an excellent selection of static or animated tattoos that gave the OS some life to it. All of these have been removed in Windows 10, and replaced with a largely black, dull, and lifeless UI that leaves much to be desired. Settings is the worst offender, and doesn't match anything in the OS. Legacy desktop applications all feature a bright, colorless titlebar/chrome, and there hasn't been any indication this will be changing any time soon. Again, the feedback was submitted by Insiders for Microsoft to fix this, and again they've been met with silence. 

The biggest straw I have with Windows Insiders is how few builds we were pushed, resulting in little time to test, and submit feedback. Edge, for example, didn't appear in builds until a few months ago, which I feel has resulted in Edge not being up to par as it should, heck even now it still retains it Project Spartan codename. Microsoft promised more builds for fast ring users, a promise which hasn't been kept. As I write this, fast ring users are still sitting on b10130, which is a month old at this point, and I'm starting to doubt whether or not we'll see another build before RTM. The program has been nothing but broken promises after broken promises.

While I have no doubt many will adopt Windows 10, especially on desktops, it's clear that largely overall, Windows Insiders have little part to play in the design process, and that Microsoft will be Microsoft when it comes to developing the next OS. Mistakes will be made, and under the guise of accepting feedback, they'll try to cover up the damage - "Look, we have glass and the Start Menu back!".

There are still things to like and look forward to in the OS. Cortana, for one, will be an excellent addition, along with the Xbox additions, but these features aren't going to have a huge consumer impact on the OS overall, and many businesses will be disabling these features for their workers.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing more changes at Microsoft before long, as people are shuffled around, fired, or forced out, and possibly even the death of the Surface and Lumia lines. Quite frankly, that scares me as they are two great products, now hampered by horrible management, and poor design decisions. Ignoring much of the feedback in this area, coupled with Microsoft's quick abandonment of Windows RT, It's clear to me that Microsoft's way forward on mobile devices is through iOS and Android, and not through their own product line. Windows 10 feels nothing more than a silent exit from the mobile competing arena. Unfortunately, desktops aren't where the competition is anymore. Consumers aren't lining up to purchase the latest Samsung, HP, or Dell desktops. No, they're waiting in line for the newest iPads, iPhones, Galaxies, etc. It's a shame, really, Windows 10, Surface tablets, and Lumia phones could be a real competitor to these devices - people could be waiting in line for Microsoft tablets and phones too, if Microsoft would listen - the feedback is there.

- Dot

I'm glad Microsoft decided to focus more back on the Desktop users, after all, we were pretty much neglected with Windows 8/8.1.

• Like 1

They way they did the music icon, it could represent vinyl, CD and hard disk. All depends on the age of the user.

Just my opinion

Well it's music so it's not a HDD. and it has an arm so it's a vinyl. of course younger kids who never seen a vinyl will think if it as a CD with a reflection or something because they don't know. But the actual representation is of a vinyl on a player. 

Came to say this and add.  Also a white turntable with black 45rpm disc complete with label and center hole (for stacking).  I'm guessing an early Beatles single

That was exceptionally specific. I think you "may" be taking the iconography a bit far but hey :)

Here's the thing:

1. It is NOT being made available for pirates running pirated versions of their software.  Microsoft isn't that stupid to give people something because they stole their previous version of Windows.
  2. If you're beta testing the OS, it's because you volunteered to.  No one made you do it.  So why would they now give it to your free just because you volunteered to beta test it.  Whether you gave feedback or not is irrelevant, since your feedback wasn't logged as being posted by you personally.
  3. No one is being left out in the lurch. You act like Microsoft is now going to remove all versions of Windows from your computer forever or something.  What are you, running Windows XP, and now you want the OS they release 14 years later to be free for you?  That is what makes no sense, frankly.

Well, you should do your research before typing an angry self righteous post. Microsoft IS making Windows 10 available to "unlicensed" copies in an effort to get it onto as many machines as possible.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-launches-this-summer-targets-current-pirates-with-free-update/

?

I've run every legal version of Windows since 3.11. Yes, I do believe we testers deserve a free Windows 10 upgrade. If they are making it free to 7/8 and users AND pirates they could at least make it available for free to insiders. You mean to tell me that you think that while they are opening the upgrade to pirates, beta testers should not get the upgrade? That is what makes no sense.

What I think they should do is allow Windows 10 Insiders to input their Win 7/8 product key and it will generate a Windows 10 key. I usually like to clean install my new OS's and I don't want to have to roll back and install Windows 8.1 and then do an upgrade. in the case of Windows 10, I clean installed it so once it goes RTM I would have liked to have been given a product key somehow and just upgrade to it.

As it stands now, I have to reinstall my LICENSED copy of Windows 8.1 and wait for release then do the upgrade.

EDIT: General question to everyone. My last few versions of Windows were from when I was a TechNet member . Am I correct in assuming that a TechNet product key will still upgrade to Windows 10?

- Dot

TLDR Version : "Microsoft doesn't listen to me specifically, my ideas are best ideas and my needs are more important then everyone elses so I must stomp my feet and pout"

I think Windows 10 is coming along nicely, and no one forced you into the insider program. You complain about stuff way too much.

TLDR Version : "Microsoft doesn't listen to me specifically, my ideas are best ideas and my needs are more important then everyone elses so I must stomp my feet and pout"

Lol, no. Go look at the feedback app, and listen to the posts made here - the feedback is all the same - mobility is lost on Windows 10, Windows 10 lacks a decent look and feel, it's incomplete, etc -  and Microsoft has done nothing to correct it. This is all top feedback submitted, and nothing has come as a result.

Well, you should do your research before typing an angry self righteous post. Microsoft IS making Windows 10 available to "unlicensed" copies in an effort to get it onto as many machines as possible.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-launches-this-summer-targets-current-pirates-with-free-update/

?

I've run every legal version of Windows since 3.11. Yes, I do believe we testers deserve a free Windows 10 upgrade. If they are making it free to 7/8 and users AND pirates they could at least make it available for free to insiders. You mean to tell me that you think that while they are opening the upgrade to pirates, beta testers should not get the upgrade? That is what makes no sense.

What I think they should do is allow Windows 10 Insiders to input their Win 7/8 product key and it will generate a Windows 10 key. I usually like to clean install my new OS's and I don't want to have to roll back and install Windows 8.1 and then do an upgrade. in the case of Windows 10, I clean installed it so once it goes RTM I would have liked to have been given a product key somehow and just upgrade to it.

As it stands now, I have to reinstall my LICENSED copy of Windows 8.1 and wait for release then do the upgrade.

EDIT: General question to everyone. My last few versions of Windows were from when I was a TechNet member . Am I correct in assuming that a TechNet product key will still upgrade to Windows 10?

You have been told many times now that MS is not giving away Win 10 to pirates. Why do you keep repeating this lie?

Insiders get Win 10 for free just like everybody else, as long as they have a valid version of Win 7/8.x.

?

Repeat after me: THEY ARE NOT LICENSING PIRATES!

• Like 1

You have been told many times now that MS is not giving away Win 10 to pirates. Why do you keep repeating this lie?

Insiders get Win 10 for free just like everybody else, as long as they have a valid version of Win 7/8.x.

I believe someone running Windows 10 insider preview can stay in the preview after RTM and they won't need a valid Win7/8 key to keep getting Windows 10 insider builds, if they then drop out of the preview they then need a valid Win7/8 key to stay on Windows 10.

I believe someone running Windows 10 insider preview can stay in the preview after RTM and they won't need a valid Win7/8 key to keep getting Windows 10 builds, if they then drop out of the preview they then need a valid Win7/8 key.

True, but with that option you can't keep running a stable version of Win10. The preview builds will keep coming.

So not the best option for your main pc

True, but with that option you can't keep running a stable version of Win10. The preview builds will keep coming.

The builds are timed bombed along with that, so you have no choice but to install new builds when they are released.

I can see pirates opting to stay in the 'slow ring' though thus staying on windows 10.

/

- Dot

Sooooo...you felt the need to post this here?  Maybe it is you and not them?

• Like 3

Sooooo...you felt the need to post this here? Maybe it is you and not them?

He had to post it because we hadn't been told how much he despises Windows 10 for tablets and how wonderful Windows 8.1 was for that matter.

He had to post it because we hadn't been told how much he despises Windows 10 for tablets and how wonderful Windows 8.1 was for that matter.

You can say what you want but he has some valid points.

It's not just him bringing these points up, If you look at the feedback app, there are loads of people making these same comments.

Win8.1 was wonderful to use with touch, I understand the desktop crowd wasn't to happy, but to just abandon most of the nice touch features is pushing it way back to the other side. We don't even have a full screen browser anymore!

• Like 2

?

First of all, I'm in no way angry, and certainly not self-righteous.  You do realize that in fact your attitude is more that way than mine, right?

So, if you had a Technet subscription (I did too, actually), you have all this software needed to do a proper upgrade to Windows 10.  Actually, even though I can't download from them, they do update license keys for Windows. I got keys for 8, 8.1 and 10 TP from my Technet Product keys page.

Secondly, they are not making Windows 10 available to pirates.

I agree, it would be great to allow Windows 7/8 users to generate a new key and get an ISO to download for Windows 10.  But that's probably not going to happen. 

As far as Window

Well it's music so it's not a HDD. and it has an arm so it's a vinyl. of course younger kids who never seen a vinyl will think if it as a CD with a reflection or something because they don't know. But the actual representation is of a vinyl on a player. 

OK, Mr. Know-It-All, I guess I have to explain why I think it was done in a way to represent vinyl, CD and hard disk. Even though I think it's a little obvious:

There are older model CD players that had an arm that stuck out above the disc that would resemble a record player. When looking down on it

What's the inside of a hard disk look like? The actual disk and the arm that reads the data. Looks like a record player doesn't it?

See where I'm coming from now? Also, you 100% sure that it can only represent a vinyl? Can you prove that? I said it was JUST MY OPINION. Didn't say it was 100% fact. So take the "have to prove this guy wrong" attitude elsewhere. You constantly do that to people here and it gets old.