[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

That was an option.  The setting was either show all the running apps, or switch immediately.  The latter is the one you hate, but the former didn't require you to swipe back.

Not gonna lie, i don't have a tablet nor have i used one long enough to check the settings. I tried the Surface a few times at the store nd I always got mad at that.

Still want at least 3 things

1: quick task switcher when swiping.

2: back and forward swipe gestures in edge

3: and possibly most importantly they need to fix the keyboard so what it ACTUALLY resized the desktop/app. so that for example on neowin which has a very small footer, the keyboard doesn't go ontop of the browser and make it impossible to see what I'm writing. 

about #3, I don't get it why Windows mobile and Windows still have separate keyboards (at least in tablet mode). The Windows Phone keyboard is far far superior and world flow alone makes it like a 1000 times better.

Going to make a crazy prediction (which I hate doing). Shortly after 5pm EST/2pm PST @GabeAul will tweat out that a new build is being pushed for the Fast Ring insiders. This is based on tweets from him yesterday/today and on previous build announcement release times. I would think since the OS is feature complete, it would be a fairly recent build, so they can catch any last minute bugs from the masses, maybe 10159-10161.

about #3, I don't get it why Windows mobile and Windows still have separate keyboards (at least in tablet mode). The Windows Phone keyboard is far far superior and world flow alone makes it like a 1000 times better.

I don't mind the keyboard itself, now that they "mostly" foxied the swipe key issue where typing fast it would think you where swiping instead of pressing multiple keys after each other resulting in weird letters instead of two correct letters.

Now they just need to fix it so it properly resizes the desktop/windows when it's open and that it doesn't close the keyboard if you hit to low when hitting the spacebar. So annoying. feels like 20% of the time when I type on it I either get an m instead of space or it closes the keyboard and since I don't stop typing as fast as it closes, weird stuff ensues. .

As far as word flow goes, I don't see it working very well on a big 10-11 inch tablet keyboard, but then I don't really use it on phones either. but that's probably because I never train myself to even try and I don't write a lot.  but sure for those that do use and and want to drag their fingers all over the screen I guess it would be nice. but it seems more like a 7-9 inch device feature to me, and those will use windows 10 (for) mobile anyway.

I am well aware that not everything is possible at once, or immediately, but most of this feedback has been there from the beginning of the Windows 10 development cycle. That's what concerns me. Worse, I have reached out via different means of communication with various different peoples with the matter, and have been ignored each time.

Silence doesn't mean ignoring.  Y'all regularly talk about areas I work on and have suggestions/requests on stuff I'm aware of and in some cases working on and/or would like to work upon.  Honestly the most effective way I can have that energy help drive forward excellence is to ignore it so y'all remember to keep providing feedback.  If some random yahoo from MS goes off and says Yes That Will Happen, maybe that means that 10% fewer people will be asking about that via feedback and I can no longer say to my management chain that Feature X is the #1 most requested feature in my area.  That would seem to suck for everybody involved.  Let's not do that.

As regards "from the beginning of": I already briefly addressed that as regards "time being finite".  I wish it wasn't and I for one often squeeze extra time out at the cost of not seeing friends and family, but again: it does a disservice to the people involved on all sides to pretend that the reason why something doesn't happen is because feedback is ignored.  Y'all have good eyes and good input.  Oftentimes I see people note exactly the things I'm noting, and I for one look forward to being able to see what can be done to make Windows more awesome for people.  :)

• Like 3

Has anyone tried the leaked 10151 etc?  I hear good things from 10147 so anything post that should be even better.

I think the leak was only in Chinese. That's all I could find anyways. 10147 has been solid for me, best build so far.

10158 is downloading now Via WU

Going to make a crazy prediction (which I hate doing). Shortly after 5pm EST/2pm PST @GabeAul will tweat out that a new build is being pushed for the Fast Ring insiders. This is based on tweets from him yesterday/today and on previous build announcement release times. I would think since the OS is feature complete, it would be a fairly recent build, so they can catch any last minute bugs from the masses, maybe 10159-10161.

I called it... just 45 minutes late :)

Anyone have any ISO links?

No.. unless you want leaked version..

official ISO will be ready within a few days.

You can download via WU now.  WU update is going smoothly as we speak.

From Windows Blog:

when using the Start Menu, you can swipe up on the left side to open All apps. This also works in Tablet mode, when you have opened up the left side of Start behind the hamburger menu.

WU doesn't find this build for download. I've always been on the fast ring and everything has worked fine until today. Any suggestions?

WU doesn't find this build for download. I've always been on the fast ring and everything has worked fine until today. Any suggestions?

Double check and make sure you still show fast, it reverts after each update.

Installed it in VMware and testing it. So far so good; many of the universal apps have received a lot of polish, UI inconsistencies have been removed, other parts of the UI have been updated - e.g. Win32 app menus. Windows 10 is reaching the fit and finish you'd expect in the RTM build with 10158.

• Like 2

~

I'm getting the same, tried re-installing 10130 from scratch, PC won't see the update, my laptop saw it just fine and installed it, I've tried changing slow<>fast ring, restarting between, tried shutting off other sources, tried restarting the WU service and tried disk cleanup to get rid of WU remnants. Any ideas?

Tried tweeting Gabe Aul, no answer yet. Conveniently the support app shows "Coming Soon" now when it seemed to work before.

Tried running this as well now as Gabe suggested this to another user, still no joy :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/836941?wa=wsignin1.0

Just curious:

Running Windows 10 in VMWare on my desktop.  Went to download/install the latest build.  Started to do a little work on my notebook.  Went back to check on the progress and the VMWare was closed...come to find out that I had Windows 10 set to shutdown after 30 minutes.

So, my question is if Windows 10 knows that it is downloading updates with regards to the "idle timer"?  Make sense?  If you aren't using the computer for x amount of minutes it shuts down/sleeps/whatever.  If your computer is being utilized then it doesn't shutdown.  I swear Windows 7 doesn't shut down as long as it is downloading/installing updates (maybe it does but I've never seen it).

Hey guys, I just updated to the new build and I have a minor annoyance.

After updating, these old broken app shortcuts are stuck in the all apps menu and I have no way to remove them (uninstalling them does nothing). Any help? 

iRqcQOd.png

Are you guys still linked with your MSA?

Yup, using the same e-mail I've been using since November. Only difference I can think of is my PC is using secure boot and the laptop isn't (laptop saw the update and installed it just fine), surely that couldn't be it?

Hey guys, I just updated to the new build and I have a minor annoyance.

After updating, these old broken app shortcuts are stuck in the all apps menu and I have no way to remove them (uninstalling them does nothing). Any help? 

iRqcQOd.png

Tried updating all your apps in the Store beta? Looks like it hasn't downloaded the music preview or updated the store