[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Finally got rid of that bloatware OneDrive. Now This PC looks clean.

qSdXNPE.png

I wish they change the terrible Open Settings icon.

The default Photo Viewer app is terrible. Makes all my photos look blurred. Is that hard for Microsoft to notice it?

Well this sucks, every single Modern app (except Music & Video) refuses to launch. Makes this build pretty useless for me. I'll try a refresh later today.

In the last build you could resize that part of the Start Menu like any other Window.. can you still do that? You could also "start typing" like Windows 8.1 and results showed up in the start menu.

It won't let me make it thinner.

Also I started typing and nothing happened

Well this sucks, every single Modern app (except Music & Video) refuses to launch. Makes this build pretty useless for me. I'll try a refresh later today.

You gotta love "Windows Softwares".

Also how is OneDrive bloatware? It's a very nice addition to the OS.

It is set to default upload my files to Microsoft server. Those who like cloud storage, power to them. I hate to waste my bandwidth and pay for expensive cloud storage when I can do the same with a cheap hard drive locally.

One Drive is literally forced on us. Can't wait for EU to have another go at Microsoft.

• Like 2

Maybe because you removed the Cortana icon from the taskbar?

I couldn't do it before I removed it either.  

Once I start using it full time, I may use tiles. Maybe. I figure i'll give it a chance.  

I didn't give Windows 8/8.1 Start a chance at all, but with 10's, it's smaller so I may just use it.  

Lol, no. Go look at the feedback app, and listen to the posts made here - the feedback is all the same - mobility is lost on Windows 10, Windows 10 lacks a decent look and feel, it's incomplete, etc -  and Microsoft has done nothing to correct it. This is all top feedback submitted, and nothing has come as a result.

And when I said it,it was my misunderstanding...

Hi

WU (Windows 10 build 10130) not show the new build. I have the fast ring.

Do you have a solution ?

Thanks

I cant get the Phone Companion app to load for me, shame, everything else works fine :(

Well, either that or they just don't care / apparently have bigger fish to fry, whatever that may be. I'm assuming they're not incompetent. Windows could really use something like OS X's Preview.app

You might try different GPU drivers.  I've seen a lot of people complain about various recent MS apps when it was just their GPU drivers.

You could just not put files into OneDrive to upload then.

Or not log into his microsoft account since he does't like cloud anyway

or turn of the one drive sharing (still allows remote access to your files)

or turn on traffic limiting in windows 10.

or any number of things. 

What I don't get is that so many are so ecstatic that MS added native support for touchpad so drivers don't do much anymore but the OS is supposed to handle all the touchpad functionality.

so now I have

1. over sensitive touchpads that causes constant accidental clicks when I'm just moving the cursor.

2. no properly working palm detection. 

3. no support for advanced touch pad features like gestures or hot spots. 

sure the actual movement "may" be slightly better, but... where the controls for sensitivity and functionality that's removed form the drivers...

also in the process the touchpad on the detachable keyboard/dock on my Lenovo Miix2 11 now doesn't work. it install the driver but the touchpad won't work. even the keyboard only works for a while after you dock it. 

Hmm.. Since I can't quite test Windows 10, because my PC sucks, I was hoping someone could test a program for me. It's called "WhatPulse".

I'm still a little confused on how we'll be able to retrieve our serial key if we wipe our PC? Are they emailing it to us? Windows 7 and Windows 10 are the only OS's I've ever been excited for, well besides XP.

I heard Windows 10 has trouble with Steam/Visual Studio 2012/NVidia Drivers. Can anyone confirm this?

What I don't get is that so many are so ecstatic that MS added native support for touchpad so drivers don't do much anymore but the OS is supposed to handle all the touchpad functionality.

What touchpad vendor is yours? Synaptic? Have you tried a driver directly from their site and not the OEM?

This build is looking and feeling really nice. My only real annoyance now is the window UI. Why are they going with white title bars and why do they not visibly change when the window gains/loses focus. I guess the shadow and 1 pixel outline are OK but I wish they would do something like make it go transparent or change to a grey when inactive. I seem to remember older builds changed to darker when inactive. Other than that, I think they've done a really nice job.

Oh, and another super minor annoyance is why they seemed to have redone all icons except the DVD drive icons which are still the Windows 7 style.

EDIT: I plan on using 10 as long as possible and then clean installing Windows 8.1 to get my free upgrade. When are you guys doing it? If release is July 29th, should I just install 8.1 on the 28th and install the upgrade app or do it sooner than that?

so now I have

1. over sensitive touchpads that causes constant accidental clicks when I'm just moving the cursor.

2. no properly working palm detection. 

3. no support for advanced touch pad features like gestures or hot spots. 

sure the actual movement "may" be slightly better, but... where the controls for sensitivity and functionality that's removed form the drivers...

also in the process the touchpad on the detachable keyboard/dock on my Lenovo Miix2 11 now doesn't work. it install the driver but the touchpad won't work. even the keyboard only works for a while after you dock it. 

I in particular am ecstatic over the vastly improved touchpad/trackpad support because my two notebooks include touchpads and trackpads - not mice OR touch.  The advanced-gesture support is part of the driver (that means the issue is on Lenovo and their suppliers - NOT Microsoft).  It beats the heck out of having to purchase extra hardware (which you DID have to do before Windows 10 and the Insider program came along).

This new build is pretty flawless unless you run a Creative Sound blaster Z series card (like I do, but Creative is going to release win 10 drivers next month) and if you have one of those, the sound will randomly not work with applications (or at all)... At least Nvidia has proper video drivers out for it now.

Sound blaster X-Fi support was worse though, at least I can get my card to work most of the time.

What touchpad vendor is yours? Synaptic? Have you tried a driver directly from their site and not the OEM?

Windows grabs the driver directly. on my laptop it's elan, but again it's doesn't help when all the sensitivty settings have been removed form the driver an put into windows but windows has no way to configure them.

the miix2 has synaptics, but it doesn't matter where you get the driver from since windows will install it, then tell you the device doesn't exist and ask you if you want to uninstall it. 

their remake of the touchpad/mouse system is a mess currently, they replaced a badly working system with a system that has potential but isn't even close to being done and ready to replace the system they killed. 

I in particular am ecstatic over the vastly improved touchpad/trackpad support because my two notebooks include touchpads and trackpads - not mice OR touch.  The advanced-gesture support is part of the driver (that means the issue is on Lenovo and their suppliers - NOT Microsoft).  It beats the heck out of having to purchase extra hardware (which you DID have to do before Windows 10 and the Insider program came along).

Except in the past my touchpads worked fine and had gesture support. and then microsoft replaced it with a new unfinished subsystem and didn't replace the features they where supposed to. gesture support was supposed to be OS level functionality, that was part of the "greatness". but there's  no gesture support, and no way to tweak sensitivity among many other failures of this new system that has nothing to do with drivers. 

Windows grabs the driver directly. on my laptop it's elan, but again it's doesn't help when all the sensitivty settings have been removed form the driver an put into windows but windows has no way to configure them.

the miix2 has synaptics, but it doesn't matter where you get the driver from since windows will install it, then tell you the device doesn't exist and ask you if you want to uninstall it. 

their remake of the touchpad/mouse system is a mess currently, they replaced a badly working system with a system that has potential but isn't even close to being done and ready to replace the system they killed. 

In the case of my notebooks, there are two different ODMs (though both notebooks are HP) - Alps and Synaptics.

The issue is on either Synaptics or HP in your case (just as it is in my case with my Synaptics-based touchpad); not Microsoft.

I will ALSO wager that the driver you are getting from Synaptics (or Lenovo) is a driver for an older version of Windows, and thus is considered "legacy" and thus gets rejected.  (I have the same issue with the GPU driver in the older notebook - the latest driver for it goes back to Vista - decidedly a non-starter.

It's why I posted that rant on the issue in The Soapbox - as much as Creative got whacked concerning "lick-and-promise" drivers in Vista and later, what the trackpad/touchpad ODMS have done, and for far longer, is worse - why are we letting them get away with it?

This build is looking and feeling really nice. My only real annoyance now is the window UI. Why are they going with white title bars and why do they not visibly change when the window gains/loses focus. I guess the shadow and 1 pixel outline are OK but I wish they would do something like make it go transparent or change to a grey when inactive. I seem to remember older builds changed to darker when inactive. Other than that, I think they've done a really nice job.

Oh, and another super minor annoyance is why they seemed to have redone all icons except the DVD drive icons which are still the Windows 7 style.

EDIT: I plan on using 10 as long as possible and then clean installing Windows 8.1 to get my free upgrade. When are you guys doing it? If release is July 29th, should I just install 8.1 on the 28th and install the upgrade app or do it sooner than that?

I suggest waiting on the clean install until a week or so before. That way you can get a fresh upgrade, and you can image your Windows 10 with all your apps installed. Just my thought.