[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

This build is looking and feeling really nice. My only real annoyance now is the window UI. Why are they going with white title bars and why do they not visibly change when the window gains/loses focus. I guess the shadow and 1 pixel outline are OK but I wish they would do something like make it go transparent or change to a grey when inactive. I seem to remember older builds changed to darker when inactive. Other than that, I think they've done a really nice job.

Oh, and another super minor annoyance is why they seemed to have redone all icons except the DVD drive icons which are still the Windows 7 style.

EDIT: I plan on using 10 as long as possible and then clean installing Windows 8.1 to get my free upgrade. When are you guys doing it? If release is July 29th, should I just install 8.1 on the 28th and install the upgrade app or do it sooner than that?

The latest few builds apparently let the app developer now color the title bar to whatever they want. So hopefully, we'll see that get done. (It should, I agree the white/gray title bars look pretty bland). 

I've found a problem, seems like others have too...

There's 5 updates which are getting stuck for some users, including me, the updates include KB3070677 which is required to be offered the update to 10158, so it's not offering the update to those users, I've tried uninstalling the updates and reinstalling them but they're still shown as "Requires a restart to finish installing", gonna try changing from automatic and see if I can install one at a time in case they're interfering with each other, see below:

23vkbnm.png

If anyone else is not being offered the update, can you check in your update history in Windows update and see if those updates above are shown with that status, if so, you should be able to uninstall those updates, restart and see if they'll install properly, then see if it offers the update properly.

Hmm.. Since I can't quite test Windows 10, because my PC sucks, I was hoping someone could test a program for me. It's called "WhatPulse".

I'm still a little confused on how we'll be able to retrieve our serial key if we wipe our PC? Are they emailing it to us? Windows 7 and Windows 10 are the only OS's I've ever been excited for, well besides XP.

I heard Windows 10 has trouble with Steam/Visual Studio 2012/NVidia Drivers. Can anyone confirm this?

LOL, Let me get this right, you want us to willingly install a program which is clearly a keylogger?!

Why I have nothing when I do a right click on a fil and "send to" ?

Very Strange !

French Windows 10 build 10158 OS

mini_159188Sanstitre.jpg

How does one remove the stupid "Ask me anything" message on Cortana's textbox? I REALLY don't need to have that much space wasted by that. Would rather eliminate Cortana altogether if it is not possible.

How does one remove the stupid "Ask me anything" message on Cortana's textbox? I REALLY don't need to have that much space wasted by that. Would rather eliminate Cortana altogether if it is not possible.

You can remove the textbox off the taskbar if you want....  right-click on the taskbar and change the options in the search section in the menu.

Everything was OK initially, but the prior bug with "new notifications" (can't open notifications) came back, along with Edge flicker on, then off when launched, and the start menu button on taskbar inoperative. I just put back "Classic Shell" and "start" works great....the others are minor for my desktop use but hopefully this is not an issue with RTM.

One neat thing I noticed......I prefer local account when working and did not like the idea of having to use my MS account to get previews in the future. I was able to install build 10158 with a local account complete...and it worked great. In settings I had to set up my MS account for the previews and validate via another one of my e-mail accounts...went well...then I noticed the above problems. The option was available to log in with a local account after machine registration...which I did and I am back to local account and it uses my MS account PIN to sign in locally.....I actually like this....we have choice....... :D

The last two builds have not allowed me to use Edge/Spartan on a normal basis...but I did notice on this build I was able to import bookmarks from "Explorer"...........would be nice if we could import bookmarks from an HTML file from other browsers....in  RTM maybe?.......Cheers

I'm glad the bookmark bar can be arranged however we want in this build (instead of alphabetically), and it'll actually save. I've still gotta go through the rest of them and rearrange them too.

You can remove the textbox off the taskbar if you want....  right-click on the taskbar and change the options in the search section in the menu.

Holy crap. Amazing! Thank you. Looks beautiful now.

I had installed 10158, both over 10147 and clean, and both times it didn't recognize my wireless card as a Qualcomm Atheros, instead seeing it as a Realtek RTL8192DE.

10130 and 10147 see the card as what it should be
4day8r4.png

10158 doesn't.
RI3xUiR.png

Maybe this means that we will start seeing more builds now until the official release?

Since they are polishing the OS now, I assume with every build there would be fewer and fewer blocking bugs.

Hopefully they fixed the 24-bit/32-bit sound issues.

They have improved the whole sound stack in Windows 10, so I guess that's where those issues come from. I think I've seen other people with audio-related issues as well, especially old audio hardware not working properly with it.

~

I've found a problem, seems like others have too...

There's 5 updates which are getting stuck for some users, including me, the updates include KB3070677 which is required to be offered the update to 10158, so it's not offering the update to those users, I've tried uninstalling the updates and reinstalling them but they're still shown as "Requires a restart to finish installing", gonna try changing from automatic and see if I can install one at a time in case they're interfering with each other, see below:

23vkbnm.png

If anyone else is not being offered the update, can you check in your update history in Windows update and see if those updates above are shown with that status, if so, you should be able to uninstall those updates, restart and see if they'll install properly, then see if it offers the update properly.

I had this problem too. I tried uninstalling the updates, restarting, re-installing and still they said "Requires a restart...". I tried re-installing Windows 10 10130 and now the updates say "Successfully installed on..." however build 10158 still isn't showing for me in Windows Update. Don't know what else I can do.

They have improved the whole sound stack in Windows 10, so I guess that's where those issues come from. I think I've seen other people with audio-related issues as well, especially old audio hardware not working properly with it.

It didn't occur in 10130, it's something recent. Plus I have modern audio hardware, so that's not an issue either. A lot of other people are having these issues in this build.

10159 might fix issues with those updates not installing through WU and some issues with apps not starting.  I upgraded my VM from 10130 to 10158 and no store apps, or the store itself, would open, you'd see the app for a split second and then it'd be gone.

Since then I ditched my VM, also uninstalled VirtualBox, as I plan to move to VMWare Player later.  I'll need to wait for slow ring ISOs though.

Nothing on Windows Update for me either and none of the June updates install correctly as was mentioned by PsychoKilla earlier.