[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Checked the Feedback app, and it's amazing how many requests there are regarding being able to set a custom color for the title bars. Amazing that Microsoft still hasn't responded to this. Why can't there just be a simple toggle in Settings? Something like "apply accent color to title bars," and be done with it?

Checked the Feedback app, and it's amazing how many requests there are regarding being able to set a custom color for the title bars. Amazing that Microsoft still hasn't responded to this. Why can't there just be a simple toggle in Settings? Something like "apply accent color to title bars," and be done with it?

Well, it took them so long to align/center the window controls for win32 apps to match winrt/store apps, who's to say they don't add that option/default but just haven't gotten around to it yet?

It also seems build numbers just jumped up to 10500 last night, the first reported RTM branch build was 10192.  Unless the 10500 builds are for future redstone previews.

There's a crap ton of feedback Microsoft never responded to. They've ignored feedback with the OneNote application, and pretty much have told users who prefer the Windows 8.1 app to go **** themselves.

Note that this method will ask you to select .inf driver file directly, not folder.

Let me know how it goes :)

it worked on my Windows to Go drive (I use that rather than messing with partitions or VHDs).

I'm gonna upgrade my 10130 image to 10162. thanks for the help.

There's a crap ton of feedback Microsoft never responded to. They've ignored feedback with the OneNote application, and pretty much have told users who prefer the Windows 8.1 app to go **** themselves.

The whole Insider thing turned out to be nothing more than just having early access to the OS. What is the point in even writing feedback, when we in the end turn out to be nothing more than the average lab rats. Just... disappointing.

I was a deeply passionate guy for anything Windows, but no more. I feel burned out and a very invaluable user. Thanks Microsoft, I guess, I got what I deserved for so blindly having a passion for your products which the people in charge of them don't seem to give a ###### to fix.

Never heard of this. Technet keys are retail keys, not volume license keys. Only MAK/KMS is volume license. Technet did offer MAK keys, but it was for Enterprise editions only, so if you used Standard, Pro or Ultimate as as your 7/8.x install you are using a retail key,

If you used a Technet key that was a retail key and not the MAK key (WIndows 7/8.x Enterprise only) it should be fine.

Technet keys were not quite the same. They could be used with retail media but they were valid for up to 10 different devices instead of 1.

The whole Insider thing turned out to be nothing more than just having early access to the OS. What is the point in even writing feedback, when we in the end turn out to be nothing more than the average lab rats. Just... disappointing.

I was a deeply passionate guy for anything Windows, but no more. I feel burned out and a very invaluable user. Thanks Microsoft, I guess, I got what I deserved for so blindly having a passion for your products which the people in charge of them don't seem to give a ###### to fix.

You guys seem to be assuming that you were the only ones giving feedback, and everyone was saying the same things.  I dunno man, just going by reading about Windows 8.1 I can tell you that doesn't happen.

They can't implement everything, sometimes it's coming in later builds, sometimes the feedback is just dumb. I've had a few pieces of feedback that was later implemented... basically what I'm saying is just chill and stop acting so entitled.

They can't implement everything, sometimes it's coming in later builds, sometimes the feedback is just dumb. I've had a few pieces of feedback that was later implemented... basically what I'm saying is just chill and stop acting so entitled.

Entitled? Sigh. :huh:

Not to mention the full-screen "All Apps" interface and its available features that are still not implemented.

Entitled? Sigh. :huh:

Well I mean there was tons of feedback submitted and a lot of it was implemented. I definitely thumbed up stuff that got implemented. So I'm not sure why you think it was all pointless. 

And Microsoft also ignored the #1 voted on item on UserVoice: the return of Aero Glass. 50,000 votes which mean nothing to Microsoft apparently.

Its clear a lot of highly popular feedback gets sent to /dev/null

"Windows Insider" is just a marketing program. A genius one, I admit. 

If it were truly about beta testing we'd have at least view access to Microsoft's internal bug tracker. And Microsoft would actually publish the changelogs, and not keep them private until Wzor leaks them. 

We'd be able to download the checked debug builds off Connect.

We'd have access to the private mailing list for Connect.

We'd be able to choose different branches. 

And we'd be able to get Canary builds. 

"They didn't listen to me specifically, so they aren't listening to anyone!"

<yawn> I am getting more apprehensive about the launch as we approach it. It just won't be complete in time, which could be a disaster, or could be fine for a while. The fact that they still have so many UI inconsistencies is not promising.

• Like 1

And Microsoft also ignored the #1 voted on item on UserVoice: the return of Aero Glass. 50,000 votes which mean nothing to Microsoft apparently.

Its clear a lot of highly popular feedback gets sent to /dev/null

"Windows Insider" is just a marketing program. A genius one, I admit. 

If it were truly about beta testing we'd have at least view access to Microsoft's internal bug tracker. And Microsoft would actually publish the changelogs, and not keep them private until Wzor leaks them. 

We'd be able to download the checked debug builds off Connect.

We'd have access to the private mailing list for Connect.

We'd be able to choose different branches. 

And we'd be able to get Canary builds. 

They definitely aren't done with the window style, as seen with that color registry hack that was reported awhile back. Besides, Aero glass should not be the deciding factor for an OS

Well, it took them so long to align/center the window controls for win32 apps to match winrt/store apps, who's to say they don't add that option/default but just haven't gotten around to it yet?

It also seems build numbers just jumped up to 10500 last night, the first reported RTM branch build was 10192.  Unless the 10500 builds are for future redstone previews.

Yeah, given how long that change took, I still have hope they'll allow for a simple way to choose the title bar color. Heck, I'd even be okay with 10-20 predefined colors, at least offer SOMETHING.

How is it amazing? Maybe it's not top priority for launching a bug free OS. I'm assuming that since you can do it in the registry, it will come eventually. The looks of the OS is far from why I use it, performance is key, so is ease of use. However most of the complaints are superficial at best, most of which are about icons, the most customizable feature of every Windows OS.

How is it amazing? Maybe it's not top priority for launching a bug free OS. I'm assuming that since you can do it in the registry, it will come eventually. The looks of the OS is far from why I use it, performance is key, so is ease of use. However most of the complaints are superficial at best, most of which are about icons, the most customizable feature of every Windows OS.

That's what I'm hoping, too. I'm doing the Registry edit right now, and it doesn't appear to cause any major UI issues. (Interestingly, even Aero Lite is still working in Win10, though it clearly doesn't appear to have been updated for Win10).

I agree that it's certainly not a priority, but it's one of the top feedback requests. And doesn't seem like it would be something difficult to implement. (Though maybe it is, I'm not a programmer).

Exactly.

They can't respond to all feedback for every build. They had their roadmap already established and did double blind tests on some things to see how people responded. I'm sure that feedback and bugs were the things they focused on the most for this release.

Now they have a lot of feedback that can be used for the future and we may see some of that put into new double blind tests after RTM. That will be the real test in how they respond to feedback. However, don't expect all feedback to be responded to either. It's a difficult balancing act.

Quick question, and I think I asked it late last year with build 9841 or 9860 but... sometimes Windows 10 likes to turn my monitor on. It doesn't happen very often, but I'm worried about burn-in. Like if I'm not home, maybe out on vacation... I leave it on because I might want to remote in or something... Reckon I can unplug the monitor, but should I have to? Windows 7 never did it, and there's no good reason. Like I'll be watching a movie on my TV, and the monitor will pop on for no good reason. Watching the movie on the computer I mean, with the second monitor (i.e. the TV) playing the movie. I have Windows duplicating the display because the monitors are a few feet apart and 32" in size difference (23 and 55) so extended display just doesn't fit for what I want to do. But sometimes I just want to do desktop stuff on the TV, so I'll go from my nice wired mechanical keyboard and trackball to the K400 in my recliner -- that's how I'm typing this, matter of fact. So, maybe an unorthodox setup, but, wondering if maybe anyone else has had that happen, and what you did. Oh, build 10162. Running it as my main -- it was in a VM, but the host got hosed and I decided to jump into Windows 10 early.

The question now remains whether this is the final-final or only a RTM candidate

why would they have jumped the build number though if it was just a candidate?

there's already been a couple candidates passed by and they didn't jump the build number like this

I was told 10500 is past RTM Redstone version.  Probably 10208?

ah, that would make sense