[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

One glitch I've found on 10162 is that if you have a slideshow set as your wallpaper, seems the taskbar/Start menu/notification center gets "frozen" as the first generated accent color (if you turn that on), or upon rotation, it will just switch to the default gray/black. But the 1px border accent color changes like it should. So clearly the algorithm isn't working. Hoping that gets a fix by RTM.

Also, are anyone else's app icons updating entirely on their own? I just noticed the Calculator icon on the taskbar changed, it's now just a white icon with no specific background. Mail did this, until today, when it changed back to small, white icon on a predetermined background. Is this Microsoft still experimenting with the app icons? Because I think the larger, white ones with no background look best.

One glitch I've found on 10162 is that if you have a slideshow set as your wallpaper, seems the taskbar/Start menu/notification center gets "frozen" as the first generated accent color (if you turn that on), or upon rotation, it will just switch to the default gray/black. But the 1px border accent color changes like it should. So clearly the algorithm isn't working. Hoping that gets a fix by RTM.

I don't see this on my build using a slideshow of pictures of fixed colors and having "Automatically pick an accent color from my background" turned on.  I'm not aware of any changes to that specific area since 10162.  Anybody else seeing that behavior?  We simplified/improved color update notifications a long while ago this release, so I'd expect them to stay in sync unless something wonky was going on.

• Like 1

Generally there are enough people and enough sources of feedback in the world that it's hard to respond to all of it excellently: that'd take an incredible amount of people.  Things are noted.

Then why did Microsoft stick with such a poor release of OneNote, when everyone was asking for the functionality of the 8.1 app back?

I don't see this on my build using a slideshow of pictures of fixed colors and having "Automatically pick an accent color from my background" turned on.  I'm not aware of any changes to that specific area since 10162.  Anybody else seeing that behavior?  We simplified/improved color update notifications a long while ago this release, so I'd expect them to stay in sync unless something wonky was going on.

Seems to happen when I lock my PC. When I log back in, the accent color has changed in accordance with the wallpaper, but the taskbar/Start menu/notification center go back to the default gray/black.

Then why did Microsoft stick with such a poor release of OneNote, when everyone was asking for the functionality of the 8.1 app back?

They want uniformity, right? However, I agree this Windows 10 version of OneNote is horrible.

Hmm... Now the slideshow is changing the accent color like it should. Either it's a random UI glitch, or I'm just misunderstanding how it works (maybe it picks two accent colors? One for the taskbar, one for the 1px border?)

I've also seen this, I had no idea what the cause was until you posted. 

It switched to the default dark gray after I applied a third party skin - which has a slideshow'd wallpaper and changing the accent color did not change it from dark gray (specifically, the start menu).

Dot: I don't think delving into every decision made by anybody is conducive to a forward-looking constructive discussion, let alone trying to figure out major corporations. :)  Plus hey, I have no more idea than you, and I've been paying way less attention since that's way far away from me.  Based upon comments here, y'all want me paying attention to the things I do pay attention to. :)

Quillz: Yes, they are different values.  They're more closely aligned in Windows 10, but they're still separate concepts within Windows.  If there's some specific problems/concerns in this arena mention how to reproduce that here or via PM (or make a new thread, since I'd hate to bore the fine denizens of this thread).  I'm heading down to SDCC tomorrow night (Thurs 7/9) but could take a look at anything specific before then.

While at that, it's literally just broken, it refuses to properly start up. This is the second time without any reason it went bonkers.

"Sorry, something went wrong. We were unable to sign you in. Please try again later." while "Try again" or 'waiting later' fixes nothing.

(sigh) 

BI has called Nadella's recent write-down as Ballmer's mistake and that they are "moving on". They are still building phones, right? Or am I missing something?

http://www.businessinsider.com/satya-nadella-just-undid-steve-ballmers-last-big-mistake-2015-7

Dot: I don't think delving into every decision made by anybody is conducive to a forward-looking constructive discussion, let alone trying to figure out major corporations. :)  Plus hey, I have no more idea than you, and I've been paying way less attention since that's way far away from me.  Based upon comments here, y'all want me paying attention to the things I do pay attention to. :)

Quillz: Yes, they are different values.  They're more closely aligned in Windows 10, but they're still separate concepts within Windows.  If there's some specific problems/concerns in this arena mention how to reproduce that here or via PM (or make a new thread, since I'd hate to bore the fine denizens of this thread).  I'm heading down to SDCC tomorrow night (Thurs 7/9) but could take a look at anything specific before then.

Another slideshow glitch: sometimes, like right now, the wallpaper ends up never changing. I have it set to every 30 minutes, it's now been on the same wallpaper for 2+ hours. Although this seemed to happen with Win7 and 8, too.

(sigh) 

BI has called Nadella's recent write-down as Ballmer's mistake and that they are "moving on". They are still building phones, right? Or am I missing something?

http://www.businessinsider.com/satya-nadella-just-undid-steve-ballmers-last-big-mistake-2015-7

Nadella's email said it clearly, they're still making phones, first party devices.   They're just going to make less, which makes more sense to do.  It's the same issue HTC had, and the same issue that Samsung has now, too many models flooding the market, you need to consolidate into a few, 3-4 and not 10+.

Also other good changes too, like pulling out of carrier deals that haven't been working, I hope this means no more Verizon exclusive releases, that never went well.  They should've been releasing carrier unlocked phones directly, like the Nexus line, then they can upgrade them without issue to.

Also, are anyone else's app icons updating entirely on their own? I just noticed the Calculator icon on the taskbar changed, it's now just a white icon with no specific background. Mail did this, until today, when it changed back to small, white icon on a predetermined background. Is this Microsoft still experimenting with the app icons? Because I think the larger, white ones with no background look best.

Yeah, icon was updated yesterday. Though a bug with multiple instances still not.

Music got updated. It's now Groove Music for non English edition as well. But i think they will fix it back just to Music before release.

Weather got updated. Seems they fixed forecast update problem.

News got updated twice today. Didn't notice any changes.

Still no sign of updated Store.

Nadella's email said it clearly, they're still making phones, first party devices.   They're just going to make less, which makes more sense to do.  It's the same issue HTC had, and the same issue that Samsung has now, too many models flooding the market, you need to consolidate into a few, 3-4 and not 10+.

Also other good changes too, like pulling out of carrier deals that haven't been working, I hope this means no more Verizon exclusive releases, that never went well.  They should've been releasing carrier unlocked phones directly, like the Nexus line, then they can upgrade them without issue to.

Yeah, Apple has only 2 models, and it works well for them.

Also avoiding the OEM bloat, you might have carrier locked phones, but Microsoft has enough power to have the final say over what software gets pre-installed.

but Microsoft has enough power to have the final say over what software gets pre-installed.

But they clearly do not which is why you have WP8 users still waiting for 8.1 updates, etc. Microsoft have no power in the mobile market when it comes to carriers. 

But they clearly do not which is why you have WP8 users still waiting for 8.1 updates, etc. Microsoft have no power in the mobile market when it comes to carriers. 

Maybe the solution is to speed up the roll out of Microsoft stores and sell phones directly to the customers along with financing deals so then the consumer purchases then phone then picks up the SIM card separately. At some point Microsoft need to realise that the carriers aren't their friend and have been actively working against them the moment they showed interest in returning to the smart phone market. Apple learned early on that you need to walk around with a big stick and beat peoples heads in at carriers or otherwise you'll never get anything achieved.

Yeah, Apple has only 2 models, and it works well for them.

Also avoiding the OEM bloat, you might have carrier locked phones, but Microsoft has enough power to have the final say over what software gets pre-installed.

Apple sells more than just 6 and 6S. They are also selling 4S, 5C and 5S in India.

Fun fact: iPhone 4S is giving tough competition to low end Android brands here. :laugh:

Software update and carrier bloat are two different things?

The key going forward for MS, if they hope to still be in mobile OS' (they'll have apps everywhere regardless so that's plan B for mobile really), is to just focus on a few models and let OEMs fill in the gaps.   MS shouldn't have really low end Lumias, IMO, like the 4xx and 5xx, let OEMs target that market for you, heck the new 640 is as low as they should ever go. 

A nice business targeting midrange device is next on the list, again, let the OEMs fill in the rest of the gaps between something like the 640 and any future midrange and flagships.    Heck, why not even partner with some OEM from time to time and have them make a model for you?  Google does it with the Nexus, so it might be worth doing, helps your OEM partners out.   Another thing is to finally add more hardware support, it's too much QUALCOMM only, time to add support for MediaTek SoCs IMO.

It's still locking up for me.   Two machines, I can try the third but I think I'll just report it since no one else can get it to fail big like that.

How lovely. My Windows Update is completely broken. It is trying to install a driver for the touchpad and crashes every time it does. Not only that, but I cannot check for any other updates, can't do any other flipping crap in that stupid bug ridden piece of cow poo that they intend to release as a final version.

How lovely. My Windows Update is completely broken. It is trying to install a driver for the touchpad and crashes every time it does. Not only that, but I cannot check for any other updates, can't do any other flipping crap in that stupid bug ridden piece of cow poo that they intend to release as a final version.

How many times can people say this? IT'S A PREVIEW.

How many times can people say this? IT'S A PREVIEW.

Sigh. The actual workflow has nothing to do with it being a preview or not. It is a complete trash compared to the previous Windows Update. Barely shows any information, offers next to no control... These things will NOT be fixed for release, if ever.