[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Sigh. The actual workflow has nothing to do with it being a preview or not. It is a complete trash compared to the previous Windows Update. Barely shows any information, offers next to no control... These things will NOT be fixed for release, if ever.

Every item in your post above is more than likely influenced by the fact that you're using an OS that hasn't RTM'd yet.

Every item in your post above is more than likely influenced by the fact that you're using an OS that hasn't RTM'd yet.

It is RTM-ing today. Want to bet that it will still be like the way it is now? They have done next to no changes since the first Insider preview.

The key going forward for MS, if they hope to still be in mobile OS' (they'll have apps everywhere regardless so that's plan B for mobile really), is to just focus on a few models and let OEMs fill in the gaps.   MS shouldn't have really low end Lumias, IMO, like the 4xx and 5xx, let OEMs target that market for you, heck the new 640 is as low as they should ever go. 

A nice business targeting midrange device is next on the list, again, let the OEMs fill in the rest of the gaps between something like the 640 and any future midrange and flagships.    Heck, why not even partner with some OEM from time to time and have them make a model for you?  Google does it with the Nexus, so it might be worth doing, helps your OEM partners out.   Another thing is to finally add more hardware support, it's too much QUALCOMM only, time to add support for MediaTek SoCs IMO.

The problem with MediaTek SOC is their refusal to be a 'good participant' in the ecosystem resulting in what we see in the Android world - until MediaTek open up to the same degree as Qualcomm, I don't blame Microsoft for not supporting them.

• Like 1

It is RTM-ing today. Want to bet that it will still be like the way it is now? They have done next to no changes since the first Insider preview.

So you think the RTM ships with all the debug code, test environments and redundant options? You don;t have the RTM version in your hand as you're not an OEM.

Wonder if we'll see a new build today?

Gotta wonder. They said we'd see one this week and this week is also RTM. I wonder if the next one will be pre-RTM or RTM.

Just like to remind people that there has been 11 more internal releases with hundreds of builds since what you're running now, so RTM could be a completely different beast.

https://buildfeed.net/

• Like 2

Nope, not beta...and doesn't seem to have the Arkham Knight optimizations from 15.6.  I'm kind of disappointed.

The download page clearly says it's a Technical Preview.

• Like 1

This makes me question if you have even used it at all or maybe one or two early builds.

They fixed 300 bugs just between 10158 and 10159. That's just for one single build.

That post just showed everyone that you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the preview builds. I seriously doubt you have tried more than a couple early builds and just stuck on Windows 8 like Dot is.

This makes me question if you have even used it at all or maybe one or two early builds.

They fixed 300 bugs just between 10158 and 10159. That's just for one single build.

That post just showed everyone that you have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to the preview builds. I seriously doubt you have tried more than a couple early builds and just stuck on Windows 8 like Dot is.

I was talking about Windows Update.

The problem with MediaTek SOC is their refusal to be a 'good participant' in the ecosystem resulting in what we see in the Android world - until MediaTek open up to the same degree as Qualcomm, I don't blame Microsoft for not supporting them.

Still, lots of OEMs are using MediaTek now over Qualcomm, and probably do so because they can get good lower prices, it wouldn't hurt to add support for at least a few of the most used chipsets as a bone to your OEMs.

Sigh. Can't update, as Windows Update is being blocked from checking for new stuff by a driver that keeps failing to install. :(

Sigh. Can't update, as Windows Update is being blocked from checking for new stuff by a driver that keeps failing to install. :(

Try clearing out the Windows Update stuff with ccleaner?

Try clearing out the Windows Update stuff with ccleaner?

Did some fooling around and fixed it. Had to go into Device Manager and upgrade the driver manually from there. Not even the tool to hide updates was helping before that. Now the driver update is gone from Windows Update. So it is 100% some issue with either WU itself or the Settings app not being able to properly update the driver.

Then I had to purge the WU cache as the driver was still showing there and the Check for Updates button was completely gone.

A question, Why are they jumping build numbers so much? They were going alright till 10166

What do you mean? 10162>>10166 is not a huge jump.  :/

A question, Why are they jumping build numbers so much? They were going alright till 10166

Jumping? 10162 and 10166 are just 4 apart, they are past that internally but won't release something to insiders that has major issues.

• Like 1