[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Still, lots of OEMs are using MediaTek now over Qualcomm, and probably do so because they can get good lower prices, it wouldn't hurt to add support for at least a few of the most used chipsets as a bone to your OEMs.

The problem is long term support - look at the number of users who have been left high and dry with no Android upgrades or updates because MediaTek refuse to work within the Linux/Android community to ensure that their hardware is supported to same degree as Qualcomm. Even if Microsoft were to support MediaTek the problem is MediaTek isn't interested in working in an open way meaning there is no way to add support to the Windows NT code base as it current stands.

I hope nobody tries to update their machine to Windows 10 who has Secureaplus installed.. if I don't uninstall it before I update the build, I always BSOD after 70%

A question, Why are they jumping build numbers so much? They were going alright till 10166

Haven't you seen the posts of how they normally jump like 200 builds just for the fun of it! So they have a cute RTM build number!

Yeah, icon was updated yesterday. Though a bug with multiple instances still not.

Music got updated. It's now Groove Music for non English edition as well. But i think they will fix it back just to Music before release.

Weather got updated. Seems they fixed forecast update problem.

News got updated twice today. Didn't notice any changes.

Still no sign of updated Store.

Interesting. I only noticed the app icons changing in 10162. I'm kind of hoping the Mail icon reverts back to "white icon, no background," like Calculator. It looked better due to consistency and the fact the icon was larger.

A question, Why are they jumping build numbers so much? They were going alright till 10166

They barely jumped at all. The last Insider build was 10162, we know that 10163 was an internal-only build, the same is likely true of 10164 and 10165. So four builds later, 10166, was deemed stable enough for Insider release. This is nothing new, Windows gets re-compiled on a daily basis, and only a fraction of those ever see release outside Redmond.

And, as stated, the build number is typically artificially inflated for RTM purposes. Expect a "nice" number, maybe 10200, for the RTM.

And, as stated, the build number is typically artificially inflated for RTM purposes. Expect a "nice" number, maybe 10200, for the RTM.

10200 isn't divisable by 16, also, 10200 has already been compiled internally and they are past that. See - https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1258428-anticipating-windows-10-rtm-would-it-be-build-10400-or-build-10800/page-8#entry596917372

And http://ms-vnext.net/

• Like 1

Did some fooling around and fixed it. Had to go into Device Manager and upgrade the driver manually from there. Not even the tool to hide updates was helping before that. Now the driver update is gone from Windows Update. So it is 100% some issue with either WU itself or the Settings app not being able to properly update the driver.

Then I had to purge the WU cache as the driver was still showing there and the Check for Updates button was completely gone.

Think I had that happen on an earlier build, oof.

Apparently the audio issues some were having are fixed in this new build.

• Like 2

I had audio issues when I first installed 10162, then, without seemingly doing anything, audio started working fine again, a few days ago. Maybe WU installed a driver update, though I don't remember one occurring. Strange.

As far as I know Realtek released a new driver. But i haven't had any problems before. Yet there is still no Creative driver.

No visual fixes as well. Still lots of giant touch menues in desktop mode. Especially in Windows Search, Edge and all editbox context menues in Windows App.

As far as I know Realtek released a new driver. But i haven't had any problems before. Yet there is still no Creative driver.

And according to their website, there won't be one until "Early August"

And according to their website, there won't be one until "Early August"

And that's only for recent cards. Anything else won't see it until october.

With redstone at 10501 I very much doubt we will see them jump to 11200 for 10 RTM which means they are using a new formula for release numbers,

Also, did they remove the WIndows Spotlight feature for Lockscreens? I've just noticed that the option for it isn't there anymore.

They release builds they deem test worthy, the majority are inside only builds cos they either have security problems which make them unsafe to release externally or they have showstopping bugs which they don't want to inflict on us.

Newest build, IE does not crash anymore, and touchpad is working correctly like with 8.1. Office still gets completely messed up and have to reinstall for it to activate.

With redstone at 10501 I very much doubt we will see them jump to 11200 for 10 RTM which means they are using a new formula for release numbers,

Redstone isn't at 10501, since RTM cannot be anything less then 10800 or 11200.

I would venture to say Redstone isn't even on the map right now and all of their resources are focused on RTM of Windows 10 first, especially with a deadline approaching.

I still don't get why they haven't changed/fixed or w/e it takes, the whole divisible by 16 bit for RTM builds?   preview builds have been going out just fine with a whole bunch of build numbers, I don't see the issue here.

I still don't get why they haven't changed/fixed or w/e it takes, the whole divisible by 16 bit for RTM builds?   preview builds have been going out just fine with a whole bunch of build numbers, I don't see the issue here.

It's logical and important to the implementation they use, and there's not a fantastic reason to walk away from it.  Change for the sake of minor glamour is not really a good thing.  Consider HRESULT, for example:

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HRESULT

Having bits available to play with is very useful. :)

Those bits simply aren't important for the "throw-away" daily builds.  You only really care about/need them for Real Official Builds.

• Like 1

Redstone isn't at 10501, since RTM cannot be anything less then 10800 or 11200.

I would venture to say Redstone isn't even on the map right now and all of their resources are focused on RTM of Windows 10 first, especially with a deadline approaching.

Could have sworn I read Redstone/Threshold2 was at 10501

None of the issues I had in build 10159 has been fixed.

• Snap is still broken
  • Project My Screen is still listed under Storage (in Settings) as taking over 13GB of space
  • Settings and Disk Cleanup detect a few gigabytes of temporary files that just don't get deleted
  • Dragging an Edge tab to a new windows causes the new window to open with just the Edge logo showing.
  • Pasting text in wordpress.com's Visual editor still causes a weird glitch where a lot of japanese characters appear.

All issues that only appeared in 10158.

Oh, and if I use myAppFree, clicking a link to an app's listing on the Store leads to an error page. I forgave it at first because it was in Beta stage, but now it's the only Store, and it's no longer considered Beta (at least in its name).

I'm really fearing this will be completely broken by July 29th.

All of these are still here in build 10166, with the exception of the fourth bullet.

In fact, bullet no. 2? seems to have gotten worse, with even more apps having messed up sizes.

Curious if anyone has encountered this bug before I send it in through the feedback.

My latest insider build of Windows 10 has suddenly begun to hang, no BSOD but simple things like using the taskbar can begin a 20second hang before it loads the action, the notification area suffers the same issue.  When in file explorer resizing the window or opening folders can again cause a strange hang?

I am in the process of backing up things, to do a clean install of Windows 10, and will see if the problem persists.  If it does I'll get a formal report put in for the feedback group.  

However if anyone has had the same issue, please do drop your viewpoint in here!

Soooo on 10162 I have zero options to change rings for slow or fast and cannot get the new build. I'm signed in with my registered account too.

post-27687-0-69999600-1436482330.png

post-27687-0-19577900-1436482338.png