[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Welcome to the future!

Was running OK for me last night and my lockups with windows explorer seem to be gone too.

It actually runs way smoother and kills me less with update pop-ups.

Next week's gonna be the OEM launch so...quite ok for a continuum OS (assuming half of Insiders will join the post-RTM builds testing).

Yeah I know, I just wish they had a verification system so that I don't have to erase Windows 10, reinstall Windows 8.1, then do an upgrade.

I don't think we will need to do that with the RTM version... the system may ask you for a windows 7/8 key in order to upgrade to RTM and then verify that is not a blocked pirated key to activate windows 10.

A question just crossed my mind...

I'm an Insider and I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider Technical Preview build 10166...Could I be ready for the RTM if I install the same build I'm running now after July 29?  (on another device-clean install)

A question just crossed my mind...

I'm an Insider and I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider Technical Preview build 10166...Could I be ready for the RTM if I install the same build I'm running now after July 29?  (on another device-clean install)

Yes, consider the fact that microsoft does probably not know when build 10166 was installed on that device, so you're the same as someone else who's just late at upgrading to RTM and had build 10166 installed before july 29.

I'm of course not totally sure this is the case, I'll be when it's the 29th and I've been proven correct :p

Last week I was demonstrating Windows 10 for a customer on my all in one touch screen computer. I was showing him things, then I opened the mail app and I didn't have my account setup yet, and all it said was add account, so the customer taps "Add account" and starts entering his Gmail credentials into the mail app... I was like... umm.. stop ... let me enter mine.

"EPIC FACE PALM!"

I guess the above the average users view on security, which is pretty much non-existing.

• Like 2

Last week I was demonstrating Windows 10 for a customer on my all in one touch screen computer. I was showing him things, then I opened the mail app and I didn't have my account setup yet, and all it said was add account, so the customer taps "Add account" and starts entering his Gmail credentials into the mail app... I was like... umm.. stop ... let me enter mine.

"EPIC FACE PALM!"

LOL..

Get off the computer, Warwagon! Let me do something for you..

[push Warwagon off the chair]

[sit down]

[installing the toolbars] 

[get up and give the controls to Warwagon]

Enjoy it, Warwagon!

:p

• Like 3

LOL..

Get off the computer, Warwagon! Let me do something for you..

[push Warwagon off the chair]

[sit down]

[installing the toolbars] 

[get up and give the controls to Warwagon]

Enjoy it, Warwagon!

:p

Can you even comprehend giving someone else s computer's mail app your Gmail credentials.

It actually runs way smoother and kills me less with update pop-ups.

Next week's gonna be the OEM launch so...quite ok for a continuum OS (assuming half of Insiders will join the post-RTM builds testing).

I spoke too soon, still getting Explorer lockups when I start up, I've reported it but it may be due to either beta drivers for my mobo or from the RC2 of Avast 2015

Can you even comprehend giving someone else s computer's mail app your Gmail credentials.

Nope.  I don't use gmail. I have an account but it was setup because of the phone.. so I don't use it.  I put my outlook account on my phone instead.

Yes, consider the fact that microsoft does probably not know when build 10166 was installed on that device, so you're the same as someone else who's just late at upgrading to RTM and had build 10166 installed before july 29.

I'm of course not totally sure this is the case, I'll be when it's the 29th and I've been proven correct :p

Thanks,another question:

Let's say I'm already RTM on this PC,what stops me to extract my ESD from the installed OS and make it ISO as I could boot from it on other devices?

Once with it,shouldn't we get a product key or something?

Anyone have iTunes appearing twice when pinned to taskbar? I've tried uninstalling and removed all the Apple directories and looked in the AppData shortcuts and found no duplicates.

I have that problem with Skype. I have tried pinning the running instance etc. Still have that problem.

Nope.  I don't use gmail. I have an account but it was setup because of the phone.. so I don't use it.  I put my outlook account on my phone instead.

Using an Android phone but not using Gmail. YOU ANIMAL!!!

• Like 2

Thanks,another question:

Let's say I'm already RTM on this PC,what stops me to extract my ESD from the installed OS and make it ISO as I could boot from it on other devices?

Once with it,shouldn't we get a product key or something?

You would be runnig 1 license on 2 devices in that case, the previous device will be deactivated in that case, same story as migrating from win 8 device A to B.

I bought a win 8 key back in the days, never got a win 8.1 key so I expect we won't get a win 10 key either. 

You would be runnig 1 license on 2 devices in that case, the previous device will be deactivated in that case, same story as migrating from win 8 device A to B.

But what about the previous case we've talked about?

Will the new device get a different license?

Same here, I prefer outlook :p And outlook works fine in the latest gmail app :p

Microsoft have not said but here is would I think they will do

Say you have a qualified machine, called COMP1, running Windows 8.1. You upgrade that to Windows 10 using the up Windows Update upgrade tool. For that to work you will need to use a Microsoft Account. Microsoft will do its activation checks, which takes a number of hardware IDs and creates a unique hash. It then associates that hardware hash with your Microsoft Account. So you can then wipe the hardware and do a clean install from the ISO and when you connect your Microsoft Account it will activate because the hardware hash will be the same.

However if you have another computer, called COMP2, and install and login with that Microsoft Account it will not activate as the hardware hash is different. 

I would hope Microsoft will provide some kind of device management interface on the Microsoft Account services site. 

One question that needs to be answered is how will Microsoft deal with people with multiple computers that are eligible for the free upgrade to 10 associated with a single Microsoft Account.

It would suck if they said "only one device license can be associated with an MS account". :/

Oh yeah! I am a party animal! Bring it on!   :p

Anyway, It's a personal choice...  no one can NOT force me to use it.  :p

Say you have a qualified machine, called COMP1, running Windows 8.1. You upgrade that to Windows 10 using the up Windows Update upgrade tool. For that to work you will need to use a Microsoft Account. Microsoft will do its activation checks, which takes a number of hardware IDs and creates a unique hash. It then associates that hardware hash with your Microsoft Account. So you can then wipe the hardware and do a clean install from the ISO and when you connect your Microsoft Account it will activate. 

However if you have another computer, called COMP2, and install and login with that Microsoft Account it will not activate as the hardware hash is different. 

I would hope Microsoft will provide some kind of device management interface on the Microsoft Account services site. 

One question that needs to be answered is how will Microsoft deal with people with multiple computers that are eligible for the free upgrade to 10 associated with a single Microsoft Account.

It would suck if they said "only one device license can be associated with an MS account". :/

That is what puts me on thinking too...

What if I make another Insider account (now) and connect it in build 10166?

For me I keep getting the taskbar, and file explorer hanging, no explorer.exe crashes just as if the whole computer pauses for a few seconds.

Sigh. Can't update, as Windows Update is being blocked from checking for new stuff by a driver that keeps failing to install. :(

This is totally retarded. I had the same issue. Hopefully MS will ease up on the whole "Everything Updates/lack of feature" direction.

Ain't online 24/7 :p

And if you were to install a insider built after july 29 you can upgrade to windows 10 rtm with the windows 8 key but that would deactivate the license on other devices that use the key. Also I'm not sure if it's possible to do a clean install of windows then and upgrade to rtm with a windows 8 key, it might be required to to clean install windows 8 and then upgrade to 10...

No if you use windows 8, 8.1 or 10 you will still use the same windows 8 license which is only works at 1 device at a time. So you cannot use the license on 1 device which then is upgraded to windows 10 and then use the license again on a device to install windows 8 because that would in theory deactivate your windows 10 license on the other device.

But in most cases it's possible to use a 1 device license on multiple devices but you risk having your key blacklisted when they notice the key is being used on multiple devies for a longer period of time. In most cases it's not a problem to have 1 key used on 2 devices for a period of around 2 weeks to copy over files and such but if you use 1 license on multiple devices for a few months it's probably will end up blacklisted.

Now I got in mind another thing.

Two persons - two MS accounts.

1 of them has 10166 now,and upgrades to RTM on July 29...with his own account.

The other 1 will clean install the 10166 later,after July 29,with his own account,can he be eligible for the upgrade as his friend?

Say you have a qualified machine, called COMP1, running Windows 8.1. You upgrade that to Windows 10 using the up Windows Update upgrade tool. For that to work you will need to use a Microsoft Account. Microsoft will do its activation checks, which takes a number of hardware IDs and creates a unique hash. It then associates that hardware hash with your Microsoft Account. So you can then wipe the hardware and do a clean install from the ISO and when you connect your Microsoft Account it will activate because the hardware hash will be the same.

Microsoft is not gonna link the windows 10 license to a device or a account I think since that would only cause trouble. I think a windows 10 license will be linked to your windows 8 license. And they will just periodically check the amount of device id's that use your windows 8 license(on a windows 8, 8.1 or 10 install) if the amount of id's is more then the tresholds allowed for your license your key will probably blacklisted. A key being blacklisted isn't the end of the world, contact MS support and it will be white listed again, but keep in mind to only use it at the amount of devices it was meant for.

Now I got in mind another thing.

Two persons - two MS accounts.

1 of them has 10166 now,and upgrades to RTM on July 29...with his own account.

The other 1 will clean install the 10166 later,after July 29,with his own account,can he be eligible for the upgrade as his friend?

Clean installs will require a windows 8 key to update to RTM(non insider builds) so both person will need a windows 8 license to do so. If they both use the same windows 8 license, you might end up with a blacklisted license or one of the devices will be deactivated. Though as I said before I'm not sure if it's possible to use a windows 8 key on a clean install, it might be required to reinstall windows 8 and upgrade to windows 10 in order to use your windows 8 license.

Keep in mind if you clean install a windows 10 insider build you can keep running windows 10 for free without the need for any license but you will be stuck with insider builds and forced updates and will only stay activated when the admin of the pc is logged in with a microsoft account that's registered as a insider.

So I registered a few exra account and joined the insider program with them, if I ever need a windows 10 copy for a friend I can use those microsoft accounts, though they will be stuck as insider which means forced updates.