[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Clean installs will require a windows 8 key to update to RTM(non insider builds) so both person will need a windows 8 license to do so. If they both use the same windows 8 license, you might end up with a blacklisted license or one of the devices will be deactivated. Though as I said before I'm not sure if it's possible to use a windows 8 key on a clean install, it might be required to reinstall windows 8 and upgrade to windows 10 in order to use your windows 8 license.

Keep in mind if you clean install a windows 10 insider build you can keep running windows 10 for free without the need for any license but you will be stuck with insider builds and forced updates and will only stay activated when the admin of the pc is logged in with a microsoft account that's registered as a insider.

So I registered a few exra account and joined the insider program with them, if I ever need a windows 10 copy for a friend I can use those microsoft accounts, though they will be stuck as insider which means forced updates.

Wait,wait...(Both are Insiders with Insider builds).

Both of them will have to force-update to post-RTM builds?

I've seen the ''Stop Insider Builds'' option,is it unusable?

This is totally retarded. I had the same issue. Hopefully MS will ease up on the whole "Everything Updates/lack of feature" direction.

Microsoft really shouldn't force driver updates.

Wait,wait...(Both are Insiders with Insider builds).

Both of them will have to force-update to post-RTM builds?

I've seen the ''Stop Insider Builds'' option,is it unusable?

If you stop insider builds your license will expire since each license is valid for X months and Y builds and you will be required to have a windows 10 license key*. As example, the current build is valid till somewhere in october before the license expires. When you update to a newer build license for that build will expire in september or november.

*Hopefully it will also accept windows 8 license keys because otherwise we would have to do a clean install of windows 8 first and then upgrade to 10...

Could you share wallpaper?

Which resolution? I have a 8k resolution source file :p

Also it's a mod of my Day walpapper, I used a different background color :p(Cyan and blue instead of just Cyan)

Here's the 4k resolution version I use on my zenbook pro:

B3gjVGj.png

Which resolution? I have a 8k resolution source file :p

Also it's a mod of my Day walpapper, I used a different background color :p(Cyan and blue instead of just Cyan)

Original resolution would be best for me. Coincidently, I'm also using a tweaked version of your Day wallpaper but with a similar blue tint.

If you stop insider builds your license will expire since each license is valid for X months and Y builds and you will be required to have a windows 10 license key*. As example, the current build is valid till somewhere in october before the license expires. When you update to a newer build license for that build will expire in september or november.

*Hopefully it will also accept windows 8 license keys because otherwise we would have to do a clean install of windows 8 first and then upgrade to 10...

Now the killing question...

I don't stop the updates delivering...

But,is the build updating optional as before? (installing)

Now the killing question...

I don't stop the updates delivering...

But,is the build updating optional as before? (installing)

No, nonthing is optional when running a insider built, if MS wants you to install a new build you have no choice, if MS wants to install a million updates you gotta enjoy them, if MS wants you to dance on your table you might consider to ask yourself if you're actually sober.

Original resolution would be best for me. Coincidently, I'm also using a tweaked version of your Day wallpaper but with a similar blue tint.

I can sent the original XCF if you want in a pm :p

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 insider, does this upset my eligbility for rtm when it comes out? just thinking now wether to drop back to my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 insider, does this upset my eligbility for rtm when it comes out? just thinking now wether to drop back to my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I was asking the same thing a few days back and still don't really know the answer to this. I did see an official looking post somewhere though that said "you need to have Windows 7 or 8.1 installed and running in order to qualify for the upgrade". Looks like I am in the same boat as you and will need to revert to 8.1 in order to upgrade. Either that or I may stay an Insider...

I would assume, that as an insider running Windows 10 through a valid Outlook account, that it would count? It seems to best way is to wait and see.

I would assume, that as an insider running Windows 10 through a valid Outlook account, that it would count? It seems to best way is to wait and see.

My understanding is that those of us that did clean installs will have the choice to stay on 10 and remain an Insider or stop being an Insider and wait until the 29th release and upgrade from 7/8.1.

My understanding is that those of us that did clean installs will have the choice to stay on 10 and remain an Insider or stop being an Insider and wait until the 29th release and upgrade from 7/8.1.

If that is the case, makes me compelled to drop back to Windows 7, do a nice clean install, get my drives sorted and be all ready for the free upgrade.  I don't own a copy of 8.1 sadly I was with OSX when that came out.  Pleased to say I have a retail copy of Home Premium for Windows 7 however.

Anyone else notice if you double click a photo and it opens up in the photos app, sometimes if you hit the X it closes like it should and sometimes for no reason it brings you back to the recent photos in the photos app.

If that is the case, makes me compelled to drop back to Windows 7, do a nice clean install, get my drives sorted and be all ready for the free upgrade.  I don't own a copy of 8.1 sadly I was with OSX when that came out.  Pleased to say I have a retail copy of Home Premium for Windows 7 however.

Yeah same dilemma for me. Despite the UI things I hate, Windows 10 for me is still far better than 8.1 so I am a little more inclined to remain an insider so I don't have to revert back to 8.1. I can opt in on the slow ring and not have to worry too much about running into major bugs. I could maybe live with 8.1 for a while if I knew how the upgrade went for insiders. If insiders have to go back to 8.1 and use the upgrade app and wait until the 29th like everyone else that's one thing. However, I read that not everyone will even get it on the 29th and it will be rolled out staggered. I might just like to keep running 10 when it goes RTM and stay an Insider and never have to run 8.1 again.

Yeah same dilemma for me. Despite the UI things I hate, Windows 10 for me is still far better than 8.1 so I am a little more inclined to remain an insider so I don't have to revert back to 8.1. I can opt in on the slow ring and not have to worry too much about running into major bugs. I could maybe live with 8.1 for a while if I knew how the upgrade went for insiders. If insiders have to go back to 8.1 and use the upgrade app and wait until the 29th like everyone else that's one thing. However, I read that not everyone will even get it on the 29th and it will be rolled out staggered. I might just like to keep running 10 when it goes RTM and stay an Insider and never have to run 8.1 again.

I think it's maybe possible to download the windows 10 rtm iso and choose for upgrade instead of install from the iso if upgrade is available in the windows 10 iso.

Also it might be possible to do a clean install of windows 10 with a windows 8 key. I was able to modify the windows 8.1 iso to have it accept my windows 8 upgrade key on a clean install :p

I think it's maybe possible to download the windows 10 rtm iso and choose for upgrade instead of install from the iso if upgrade is available in the windows 10 iso.

Also it might be possible to do a clean install of windows 10 with a windows 8 key. I was able to modify the windows 8.1 iso to have it accept my windows 8 upgrade key on a clean install :p

I have thought ( as have others ) that surely we will be able to use our valid Windows CDKEYS, to register a RTM copy of Windows 10.  But since I use OSX for my daily work, it's no loss to me to wipe this machine back to Windows 7 before the 29th, and just be ready for the upgrade.  I've supported the insider program for a good period, and wish all the best for Windows 10.

Does anyone know if Windows 7/8.1 installations licensed through the now defunct TechNet will be valid for the upgrade to 10?

Mine is a TechNet key too and I was told it WILL be valid.

I REALLY hate the media sometimes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/10/free-windows-10-charges

Gordon Kelly and his "'Free' Windows 10 Now Looks A Terrible Deal" article 

and

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2945796/microsoft-windows/microsoft-to-provide-free-upgrades-to-windows-10-for-2-to-4-years.html

Gregg Keiser  and his article "Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years"

:no:

and

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2945796/microsoft-windows/microsoft-to-provide-free-upgrades-to-windows-10-for-2-to-4-years.html

Gregg Keiser  and his article "Microsoft to provide free upgrades to Windows 10 for 2 to 4 years"

Media is becoming stupid and misinformed lately, I stopped reading tech articles from main stream media for that reason. Only tech news site I take serious is tweakers(dutch) at the moment.

Edit: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/26/free-windows-10-upgrades-danger/

Oh god he even used the word guinea pigs....I will stay faaaaaar away from forbes lol, It's embarassing to see these kind of sensational nonsense articles on forbes :/

and

Just imagine the articles when Windows 10 releases in a few weeks if it isn't perfect.

I am having difficulty getting update kb3070677 to install, the computer will reboot, and fail around 50%, then reboot.  Upon checking updates, it offers to install the update and the cycle continues. 

Anyone else notice if you double click a photo and it opens up in the photos app, sometimes if you hit the X it closes like it should and sometimes for no reason it brings you back to the recent photos in the photos app.

I'll check this later when I'm back home. Can you provide any more information? Is this an upgrade or a clean install of build 10166? Does it happen with every image format?

I'll check this later when I'm back home. Can you provide any more information? Is this an upgrade or a clean install of build 10166? Does it happen with every image format?

Upgrade.. Only been using jpg