[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

just a quick question. Will I be able to do a clean in stall on Windows 10 then activate it with my windows 8.1 key? I'm on windows 7 now, but don't want to activate/install windows 8.1

just a quick question. Will I be able to do a clean in stall on Windows 10 then activate it with my windows 8.1 key? I'm on windows 7 now, but don't want to activate/install windows 8.1

I think if you reserve your copy of Windows 10 from your Windows 7 machine, you will have that option to either upgrade or do a clean install. It should auto-activate then.

I am having difficulty getting update kb3070677 to install, the computer will reboot, and fail around 50%, then reboot.  Upon checking updates, it offers to install the update and the cycle continues. 

Why are you needing to install that? That was released back in June, just download the latest ISO and update using that.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso

I think Microsoft is also looking to do an Apple and make the bulk of their money from the Store, Apple sells OSX cheap and makes their money from iTunes. I also think it's strange how the support app came and seems to have "disappeared", I think this will be one of the optional chargable parts of Windows, you will be able to get a support subscription using this app and the Store.

I am having difficulty getting update kb3070677 to install, the computer will reboot, and fail around 50%, then reboot.  Upon checking updates, it offers to install the update and the cycle continues. 

Resolving this, went to the insiders page and noticed build 10162 is available to download, I am running 10130.  Hopefully upgrading to this build will sort the issue. 

@Psy - For some unknown reason I thought new versions was seeded via updates and have been busy enjoying the weather on the bike :) that is my excuse for this momentary derp.  :)

Upgrade.. Only been using jpg

Oops, I got tied up with other stuff. I'll check it out tomorrow, but I always do a clean install, so results may differ.

Cheers!

Start crashes and doesn't open on build 10166. Great job Microsoft, can't wait for RTM! It'll be golden!

/s

Seriously, I thought we were past this?

We are past this. You're the one lagging. ;)
  • Like 2

Start has crashed on me for the last couple of builds.....I use classic shell anyway...all is good.......

@warwagon....happy B day ..... :)

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. No idea how to fix it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

So u were able to recreate it too?

Weather, News, Sport and Finances got updated again. And again no release notes.

Maybe just bug fixes and performance tweaks then, if you don't see anything new, feature wise, then what do you expect from the release notes?  If all they say is "general bug fixes" then that's not exactly helpful in the end.

No, nonthing is optional when running a insider built, if MS wants you to install a new build you have no choice, if MS wants to install a million updates you gotta enjoy them, if MS wants you to dance on your table you might consider to ask yourself if you're actually sober.

But...How's it a RTM permanent license for Insiders if it requires post-RTM builds to continue?

Are any AMD card users on the newest build with the newest 15.7 preview drivers?  Have you guys noticed any change to performance and stability?  I think many of the issues after upgrading between builds is that they might have tweaked APIs and other low level things which don't work well with older drivers.  Now that things are locked down going into RTM that should all be fixed.

Anyone have a bug where when you sign in sometimes the desktop icons get reset to a massive size? Logging out and logging back in fixes it for me.

Anyone have a bug where when you sign in sometimes the desktop icons get reset to a massive size? Logging out and logging back in fixes it for me.

Sounds like a video driver/DPI issue to me, have you tried reloading the latest?

Are any AMD card users on the newest build with the newest 15.7 preview drivers?  Have you guys noticed any change to performance and stability?  I think many of the issues after upgrading between builds is that they might have tweaked APIs and other low level things which don't work well with older drivers.  Now that things are locked down going into RTM that should all be fixed.

The 15.7 drivers are a continuation of the Catalyst Win 10 WU branch drivers. If the problems existed with the last few AMD WU versions then chances are that they will exist in 15.7 too. 

The Win 10 branch has generally been very solid for my AMD card. Much better performance.. this is partly due to AMD being forced into fixing some overhead issues. Another aspect being that they were also forced to fix some long-standing stability bugs due to pressure from MS as it was affecting the stability of Windows 10.

There is still a lot more that needs fixing but overall an improvement.

You have an AMD card don't you?

Sounds like a video driver/DPI issue to me, have you tried reloading the latest?

I'll try!

The 15.7 drivers are a continuation of the Catalyst Win 10 WU branch drivers. If the problems existed with the last few AMD WU versions then chances are that they will exist in 15.7 too. 

The Win 10 branch has generally been very solid for my AMD card. Much better performance.. this is partly due to AMD being forced into fixing some overhead issues. Another aspect being that they were also forced to fix some long-standing stability bugs due to pressure from MS as it was affecting the stability of Windows 10.

There is still a lot more that needs fixing but overall an improvement.

You have an AMD card don't you?

Nvidia

Nvidia

I missed the part where they get resized ; ). There is an AMD bug which delays the startup but also resets the icons when the desktop loads. 

Good luck with your bug!

I'm not saying it's fake, but anyone could have made that. So I wouldn't consider it official till MS reveals it.

We'll know for sure soon enough.  The last retail box for Windows I own is for 98SE.