[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

It's a permanent license but that doesn't change the fact that the system updates and newer builds are forced :p

I'm fine with the system updates in Windows 10,but in my whole Windows Insider experience I haven't been forced to do any of build updates (maybe just when they stopped some old builds from booting),and...I'm almost sure they won't do that with a RTM,don't you think the same?

I'm fine with the system updates in Windows 10,but in my whole Windows Insider experience I haven't been forced to do any of build updates (maybe just when they stopped some old builds from booting),and...I'm almost sure they won't do that with a RTM,don't you think the same?

Hmm you're probably right.

I assume insider builds are time limited and will have their activation reset, you're not supposed to stay on a single build indefinitely.

Even if that build is RTM?

If it's setup as a insider install, yeah.

Edit: I'm like 99% sure that Gabe said that a 7/8/8.1 install upgraded to an Insider build, then to RTM, will treat it as if it's a upgrade from 7/8/8.1 and become non-insider. But a clean install of an Insider build will stay in insider mode even if you install RTM over it (But I've got no idea how a clean RTM install will work so ehh)

If it's setup as a insider install, yeah.

Edit: I'm like 99% sure that Gabe said that a 7/8/8.1 install upgraded to an Insider build, then to RTM, will treat it as if it's a upgrade from 7/8/8.1 and become non-insider. But a clean install of an Insider build will stay in insider mode even if you install RTM over it (But I've got no idea how a clean RTM install will work so ehh)

I'm curious about the last one too.

They've said our last build [RTM] will be in an ISO format,right?

This could be a really big problem for people with a slow connection, and slow PC's for that matter ... sitting around for hours watching nothing happening on the screen is no fun at all!

This could be a really big problem for people with a slow connection, and slow PC's for that matter ... sitting around for hours watching nothing happening on the screen is no fun at all!

Agree.

But,haven't they confirmed that they'll share the ISO versions of our RTM?

They don't need to confirm it. MSDN will have them, and there will be a Windows 10 USB Recovery Media creation tool.

In what sense? Downloading the update? That happens in the background via Windows Update.

In what sense? Downloading the update? That happens in the background via Windows Update.

Just thinking ahead a bit ... I'm sure most of us hereabouts will handle it just fine, but others, who knows?

Okay.

So,if I do a clean install of the MSDN Windows 10 RTM,can I stay just with it?(No further build updates)

Yes if you have a valid key to use.

Just install the upgrade then do a Refresh on your current valid OS.

Yes if you have a valid key to use.

Just install the upgrade then do a Refresh on your current valid OS.

Well,the MSDN ISOs can't be activated by the Insider Method?

Some of MS employers have said that once updated with a valid Windows 7/8/8.1 key,the Windows 10 device is activated for live,is it so?

How about the GVLK ones from TechNet,will they activate my device for life? (Windows 10 ones)

Is there any chance for MS to change their minds regardless to this keys? 

How about the GVLK ones from TechNet,will they activate my device for life? (Windows 10 ones)

No. Those are KMS client keys that will only activate on a KMS Server that has a valid KMS host key for Windows 10, they'll only activate for 180 days until they need to be re-activated.

GVLK: Generic Volume License Key

They don't need to confirm it. MSDN will have them, and there will be a Windows 10 USB Recovery Media creation tool.

I always use Rufus to create a bootable usb since it's a quick and easy way to make a bootable usb that actually works with a uefi device without needing to fiddle uefi settings.

• Like 2

I'm an insider on build 10162, is their any way to fast track myself into a later build or is this as high as it goes? i've set updates to fast track.

I'm an insider on build 10162, is their any way to fast track myself into a later build or is this as high as it goes? i've set updates to fast track.

10166 should be available to you.

• Like 1

10166 should be available to you.

No mention of it in updates, and the officlal insider page only offers 10162 iso for English UK.