[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Do anyone have the last ISO from before they suspended the downloads available? I have the old build 9926 ISO, but I have been busy doing other things for a few months and would like to try a clean install with 10260 (or 10166 if that was the last proper .iso put out). Even just an MD5 sum of the official .iso would be appreciated.

I have an ISO of 10162...

So am I being force-fed updates due to being an Insider still (Am on 10240) or is this something that they just haven't enabled yet in the Pro edition? I remember reading that the Pro edition was supposed to have the ability to select updates.

Still have duplicate iTunes icons on the taskbar. Hopefully it's remedied when I do a clean install of the final.

This is a iTunes issue, not a Windows issue.

So am I being force-fed updates due to being an Insider still (Am on 10240) or is this something that they just haven't enabled yet in the Pro edition? I remember reading that the Pro edition was supposed to have the ability to select updates.

I have a feeling they removed it..... I was told by a MSDN rep that devs can't do individual update installs via windows update starting with windows 10.... after asking them how a dev will test updates manually now... and even with 240 it's still not there

This is a iTunes issue, not a Windows issue.

Well, all is good then.

The only issue I hope I don't come across is OneDrive taking over my default user folders and refusing to let me relocate them when I go ahead with the clean install. Is there any official word on how the key will work when moving to final? I upgraded to insider from an activated version of 8.1 and hope I can go straight to a new installation.

gpedit gives some little control over Windows Update - there's an option to notify about updates but not installing these but I couldn't check how that works

There's also no control over Windows Defender which I don't like and don't understand. I thought they learned that forcing users into something they can't change is the worst idea.

And by the way, I think that single colour login screen was much better than one with non-customizable background...

After a full reset:

What triggers the different open with dialogs?  The results seem inconsistent depending on the current assignment, or lack thereof. 

Well, they now have two weeks to three weeks to polish the ###### out of the default core apps.  Edge needs more time, I don't see it being ready in the next two weeks so I'd defy management and keep IE as the default.  Mail next, its responsiveness is really bad right now.

Upgrade to build 10240 went smooth.....Edge still cranky for me, but everything else so far seems okay.....Was not expecting this build today, caught me off guard.... :)

i was still on 10130, checked for updates and 10240 showed up, started downloading, PC froze up, restarted the PC, now it says "Up to date" still on 10130, any recommendation?

Is 10240 out for Enterprise?  The latest ISO of Enterprise on TechNet is 10074 (installed that hoping to try the new one).  It won't update any higher - to 10240 or otherwise.  Not sure if the pre-release builds have been turned off and 10240 is not available yet - or if I have to be on a higher version of Enterprise to get 10240, but can't get there if they are not available any more...  Or if maybe I just have some other problem.

I only have an ISO backed up of the very first Insider preview.

Does anyone know if I can update that all the way to 10240?

Well, all is good then.

The only issue I hope I don't come across is OneDrive taking over my default user folders and refusing to let me relocate them when I go ahead with the clean install. Is there any official word on how the key will work when moving to final? I upgraded to insider from an activated version of 8.1 and hope I can go straight to a new installation.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1263764-removing-onedrive-folder-redirection-in-documents-and-pictures/

To fix default folders ^^

I hate the Onedrive integration as a Dropbox user.

gpedit gives some little control over Windows Update - there's an option to notify about updates but not installing these but I couldn't check how that works

There's also no control over Windows Defender which I don't like and don't understand. I thought they learned that forcing users into something they can't change is the worst idea.

And by the way, I think that single colour login screen was much better than one with non-customizable background...

You can turn off defender,,,

The latest build has improved a god bunch, but still has a couple annoying issues. I'm sure this would probably be fixed by a clean install, but Microsoft needs to perfect the upgrade process.

What triggers the different open with dialogs?  The results seem inconsistent depending on the current assignment, or lack thereof. 

Try installing windows/live photo gallery ?

This hint fixed it. Seems like I'm not alone either. 

Gabe Aul said you could.

He did? I thought you needed to have been on 10158/9 to get to the RTM

I'm liking this build a lot. Very solid for me. The only real annoyance is the messed up cursors. The enlarged text bar makes it kind of difficult to click properly and the outlined finger looks bad. 

I guess they are not going to change the window title bars so no sense bitching about that anymore.

I'm liking this build a lot. Very solid for me. The only real annoyance is the messed up cursors. The enlarged text bar makes it kind of difficult to click properly and the outlined finger looks bad. 

I guess they are not going to change the window title bars so no sense bitching about that anymore.

AstareGod, on 15 Jul 2015 - 20:10, said:snapback.png

Same thing happened to me after upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers. GeForce GTX 750 Ti here. Tried rolling back to the 353.30 drivers, but the cursor was still stretched out, and made selecting text a little frustrating. Ended up changing the text cursor to one of the other ones (beam_r.cur I believe) which I'm growing to like, actually. The cursor now appears normally.

:D

They'll change the title bars, they'd be stupid not to as that's the most requested thing on user voice.  Last thing you want is any negative feedback for Windows 10 at this point.  I'm thinking the reason they haven't is that it'd only apply to Win32 apps and not WinRT apps, so then people would be like, why isn't this apps title bar the same color as this one over here?   I think they want to get it to apply to both apps and can't yet, for whatever reason.

They'll change the title bars, they'd be stupid not to as that's the most requested thing on user voice.  Last thing you want is any negative feedback for Windows 10 at this point.  I'm thinking the reason they haven't is that it'd only apply to Win32 apps and not WinRT apps, so then people would be like, why isn't this apps title bar the same color as this one over here?   I think they want to get it to apply to both apps and can't yet, for whatever reason.

I wish you were you right, but I don't think you are. They wouldn't have had multiple builds this way and then RTM this way if they were going to fix it. It is weird though since it's the #1 complaint from users yet they refuse to change it. It was even better in previous builds.