[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

• 2 weeks later...

Build 14271 seems a bit BSOD happy on my machine. Getting different BSODs sometimes but never able to create the dump file, just sits at 0% indefinitely. :|  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETIO.SYS) is the most common.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

4 hours ago, Grinch said:

Build 14271 seems a bit BSOD happy on my machine. Getting different BSODs sometimes but never able to create the dump file, just sits at 0% indefinitely. :|  IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETIO.SYS) is the most common.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

I ran into that one today, also on the previous build I got a few of them to. My problem is still the lack of sound, but this started on the public build after the February.104 update. I upgraded to the preview build to see if it'll fix it but nope. I think Windows 10 doesn't like this devices atom z2760 chipset. I don't know what to do about it either.

9 hours ago, George P said:

I ran into that one today, also on the previous build I got a few of them to. My problem is still the lack of sound, but this started on the public build after the February.104 update. I upgraded to the preview build to see if it'll fix it but nope. I think Windows 10 doesn't like this devices atom z2760 chipset. I don't know what to do about it either.

Hm. I (for the first time) reverted back a build using the built-in system for it. Everything is working well again. For the record, I have an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming board so not the same chipset as yours. 14267 runs stable for me.

52 minutes ago, BeerFan said:

14271 has now bluescreened on me 4 times.  Really need a new build!

This build does seem less stable than all the previous ones that I've installed. However, given that these are fast ring builds, there's no reason to expect that the next build will be better. I'm actually a bit surprised that they haven't released fast builds that go down every few hours, but maybe we'll see some of that this year.

22 hours ago, zhangm said:

This build does seem less stable than all the previous ones that I've installed. However, given that these are fast ring builds, there's no reason to expect that the next build will be better. I'm actually a bit surprised that they haven't released fast builds that go down every few hours, but maybe we'll see some of that this year.

I see your point, and it makes logical sense.  However, I must respectfully disagree.  I've installed and used every insider build they've released along the way.  I use my PC in the same patterns every day.  I wake up, get some coffee, sit at the PC for awhile reading forums, checking email, waking up, etc.  I get home from work, exercise (maybe), play with the dogs, eat dinner with the wife, use the PC for a bit, watch tv (maybe), and go to bed.  Boring as hell, I'm sure, but my point is that my patterns don't change much.  So, changes in the behavior of the latest Windows build jump out like green text on a black background to me.  And these bluescreens on 14271 happen much, much more regularly than on any previous build released so far.  So, if 20 (arbitrary number) builds have been released before now without noticing this much crashing, and this build crashes more often than a drunken monkey in a car without a steering wheel, I'd say the next build is actually highly likely to be an improvement.

32 minutes ago, BeerFan said:

I see your point, and it makes logical sense.  However, I must respectfully disagree.  I've installed and used every insider build they've released along the way.  I use my PC in the same patterns every day.  I wake up, get some coffee, sit at the PC for awhile reading forums, checking email, waking up, etc.  I get home from work, exercise (maybe), play with the dogs, eat dinner with the wife, use the PC for a bit, watch tv (maybe), and go to bed.  Boring as hell, I'm sure, but my point is that my patterns don't change much.  So, changes in the behavior of the latest Windows build jump out like green text on a black background to me.  And these bluescreens on 14271 happen much, much more regularly than on any previous build released so far.  So, if 20 (arbitrary number) builds have been released before now without noticing this much crashing, and this build crashes more often than a drunken monkey in a car without a steering wheel, I'd say the next build is actually highly likely to be an improvement.

I agree that it is highly likely to be more stable based on past Insider releases to the Fast ring. That said, I like others have had a lot of crashes with the latest build but I am not complaining as I know I sign up for that by opting-in to the Fast ring. Next build could be less stable, but based on the history thus far it is likely to be stable.

^ from time to time i get bsod releated to network device 

i removed VM softwares  , crash still persist 

----- just disabled all extra Ethernet + Bluetooth 

using WiFi atm

otherwise i would just revert to older build + switch to slow release 

8 hours ago, Grinch said:

I agree that it is highly likely to be more stable based on past Insider releases to the Fast ring. That said, I like others have had a lot of crashes with the latest build but I am not complaining as I know I sign up for that by opting-in to the Fast ring. Next build could be less stable, but based on the history thus far it is likely to be stable.

That's what I'm hoping. And I really wasn't trying to be overly critical of the crashes as it is an insider build after all. And it could be just my hardware.

19 hours ago, Ci7 said:

^ from time to time i get bsod releated to network device 

i removed VM softwares  , crash still persist 

----- just disabled all extra Ethernet + Bluetooth 

using WiFi atm

otherwise i would just revert to older build + switch to slow release 

Latest build (14279) still crashes with the same BSOD errors. Though it finally generated a dump on one of them which pointed towards my chipset drivers. Trying a different set to see if crashes go away.

It does not crash for me but I cannot see the Quick Access Folders unless I choose to show This PC. This is nuts. I would not bother with this. There probably will be a new build out Monday.

Alas. Still crashing. Guess I'll rollback again and try to submit some feedback to MS regarding this.

I've been an insider forever. problem is my lumia 635 seems to have been kicked off the insider program. I have no more slider for changing what ring I'm on. but my laptop is still on the program

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

I've been an insider forever. problem is my lumia 635 seems to have been kicked off the insider program. I have no more slider for changing what ring I'm on. but my laptop is still on the program

You need to use the insiders app, the settings were recently moved there.

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

You need to use the insiders app, the settings were recently moved there.

I restarted the insider app, selected release preview and all is good now. I think my last update somehow removed my insider settings and what not in my phone. thanks Circaflex ;) 

So, i was just playing Asphalt 8. A notification came up saying I needed to restart to finish applying Windows updates. So i quit the game, went to Settings > Windows Update > BAM! bluescreen.

LOL!

So i rebooted, went to Settings > Windows Update > selected Restart Now to go ahead and update to 14279 > BAM! bluescreen.

Methinks the latest 2 builds might have a major unsquashed bug in them.   :whistle:

Just installed 14279. System Tray bug is still there. Also, during the "All your files are exactly where you left them" stage, my taskbar was visible on the left side of the screen the entire time.

1 hour ago, BeerFan said:

Just installed 14279. System Tray bug is still there. Also, during the "All your files are exactly where you left them" stage, my taskbar was visible on the left side of the screen the entire time.

Not to be too nitpicky, but that is a setting. The file(s) is where you left it:D.

Funny! But it's not visible if you have it pinned to the bottom.  The We're Getting Your PC Ready, etc. screens are full screen and the taskbar is supposed to be hidden.

Not trying to be too nitpicky, either. Just observed the odd "feature".

Edited by BeerFan

So I just got done updating my FireTV to the last version and their OS update install screen is soooooooooo much better looking than the Windows update screen with the circle and % sign, such an eye sore.

16 hours ago, BeerFan said:

It is still listed as a know bug. I have nothing in Quick Access but I do not use it anyway.