[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

22 hours ago, Grinch said:

Latest build (14279) still crashes with the same BSOD errors. Though it finally generated a dump on one of them which pointed towards my chipset drivers. Trying a different set to see if crashes go away.

Did you check the "look for updates" box when you did the upgrade?  I noticed that NOT checking it let the update proceed; otherwise it would fail.  (As with the previous two builds, I had to create an ISO from the ESD to even update at all - direct from WU would always fail with the same error code mentioned before.)

15 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Did you check the "look for updates" box when you did the upgrade?  I noticed that NOT checking it let the update proceed; otherwise it would fail.  (As with the previous two builds, I had to create an ISO from the ESD to even update at all - direct from WU would always fail with the same error code mentioned before.)

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The last two builds upgrade just fine. It just crashes randomly and frequently (at least 5 BSOD's in one day) on me. I read the wrong dump file before which is what lead me to think it was a chipset driver issue. Unfortunately I don't know how I can read the crash dump from 14279 since WinDbg wouldn't grab symbols for it from the MS server.

Well I can't connect to my wifi after upgrading to 14279 this morning.  I can't seem to get it to work.  Any ideas? 

*Edit*  OK this is weird,  I've been using a custom WEP-128 bit key on my wifi and for some reason after the update it wouldn't connect until I went in and changed the security type to something else.  Now wifi has connected fine,  but it's weird to say the least. 

Looks like they haven't nailed down a fix for the BSOD issue (or they're working on it but the fix didn't make this build).

I hope that we'll at some point see a refresh of Event Viewer, along the lines of how Task Manager was updated back in Windows 8.

I just used Sleep mode for the first time in a very long time.  It's a desktop, and i always set it to never sleep, so I'm not sure if this has been an issue in previous builds or not.

I wanted to see how quickly my PC would enter sleep mode, and resume from it.  So, about 2 minutes ago, I put it to Sleep.  When I "woke it up", it showed the login screen as expected.  But, it listed my user account 4 times, and my wife's account 3 times, in the bottom left corner of the login screen.  I hit PrntScrn to try to get a screenshot, but it didn't paste in to Paint after logging in. Just picture 7 accounts listed in the bottom left, where there are only actually 2 accounts on the PC.  Very weird. 

I should add this is build 14279.  And, when I tried it a second time, only the 2 expected accounts showed up.  So who knows.  But, Firefox did crash upon waking from sleep this time.  Ahhh, fun stuff.

Edit #2:  Tried it a third time, and it showed each of my accounts twice. 

20160306_205558 1.jpg

17 hours ago, George P said:

Well I can't connect to my wifi after upgrading to 14279 this morning.  I can't seem to get it to work.  Any ideas? 

*Edit*  OK this is weird,  I've been using a custom WEP-128 bit key on my wifi and for some reason after the update it wouldn't connect until I went in and changed the security type to something else.  Now wifi has connected fine,  but it's weird to say the least. 

Eh?  I thought WEP was long dead heh.

Current build fixed the weird issues I'd been having.

1 hour ago, BeerFan said:

I should add this is build 14279.  And, when I tried it a second time, only the 2 expected accounts showed up.  So who knows.  But, Firefox did crash upon waking from sleep this time.  Ahhh, fun stuff.

Edit #2:  Tried it a third time, and it showed each of my accounts twice. 

Tried to do this but wasn't able to reproduce it on this machine. I'm pretty sure that I saw at least one entry about duplicated accounts on the login screen recently in the feedback app though. So maybe you're not alone. Or maybe that was you. :D

4 hours ago, randomevent said:

Eh?  I thought WEP was long dead heh.

Current build fixed the weird issues I'd been having.

Well, it's an older router so it has the option still, maybe the update changed something and it won't connect anymore, I don't know really.  I switched back to WPA-PSK or whatever and it's connected now.

Another issue I've had for over a month, no sound even though the drivers looked like they installed fine, Intel set audio device. After looking for a fix again, I found some drivers that are a bit newer, few months compared to what I was using, did a update and it looked like windows didn't change anything but after that window closed I got a popup saying changes happened with my hardware and you have to restart, now it works again.

I think some cumulative update to TH2 broke something, the audio drives actually install multiple parts, I believe only parts of the driver didn't work even though it looked like it was working.  I'll need a new device in the end though, this old Samsung tablet running the atom z2760 isn't fully supported by Intel on windows 10 and it shows.

2 hours ago, George P said:

Well, it's an older router so it has the option still, maybe the update changed something and it won't connect anymore, I don't know really.  I switched back to WPA-PSK or whatever and it's connected now.

Another issue I've had for over a month, no sound even though the drivers looked like they installed fine, Intel set audio device. After looking for a fix again, I found some drivers that are a bit newer, few months compared to what I was using, did a update and it looked like windows didn't change anything but after that window closed I got a popup saying changes happened with my hardware and you have to restart, now it works again.

I think some cumulative update to TH2 broke something, the audio drives actually install multiple parts, I believe only parts of the driver didn't work even though it looked like it was working.  I'll need a new device in the end though, this old Samsung tablet running the atom z2760 isn't fully supported by Intel on windows 10 and it shows.

WPA2 is pretty much the only secure standard anymore, and even that might be a bit of a stretch for all I know (but it hasn't been replaced yet, so...)  WEP (and TKIP) are extremely vulnerable to attacks.

I'm hoping I never have to muck with Atom audio again (on my brothers 2 in 1.)  But I might still get a Kangaroo, so we'll see.

19 minutes ago, randomevent said:

WPA2 is pretty much the only secure standard anymore, and even that might be a bit of a stretch for all I know (but it hasn't been replaced yet, so...)  WEP (and TKIP) are extremely vulnerable to attacks.

I'm hoping I never have to muck with Atom audio again (on my brothers 2 in 1.)  But I might still get a Kangaroo, so we'll see.

I'm with you, I'm tired of atom chips, I'll go i3 at the least for whatever I get next time.

7 hours ago, zhangm said:

Tried to do this but wasn't able to reproduce it on this machine. I'm pretty sure that I saw at least one entry about duplicated accounts on the login screen recently in the feedback app though. So maybe you're not alone. Or maybe that was you. :D

Thanks. Found it here: Windows-Feedback:?contextid=112&feedbackid=78883bfd-728b-4da4-a996-f1023572fc4a&form=1&src=2

9 hours ago, francescob said:

Question: are the monitor/multi-monitor settings maintained between build upgrades?

As far as I can tell, yes. At least on my XPS 1530, which is connected to a 25" 1920 x 1080 display, I have not had to adjust any settings across build changes. Windows remembers that I've set this to be my primary display, that my laptop (display 2) is on the left side, the taskbar is displayed on both screens, and all apps are shown on both taskbars.

I'm still waiting on the Redstone build on my 640. Hope they release it soon because right now my phone is really buggy. Messaging crashes a lot and edge doesn't open when my phone is low on space. I don't know why that would cause it, but Edge is weird. 

So I was travelling when 14279 hit and after I return, none of my PCs with 14257 would see the new builds in Windows update. I have checked registry and everything checks out.

How do I get these PCs to update to latest rs1 builds?

Edit: WTF! turns out windows update service was not running and is set to manual?

Edited by BajiRav

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! huge updates to both PC and Mobile. Including edge extensions and a new Maps UX in the wake of Here Maps/Drive/Transit going away.

Anyone seeing UI glitches in edge on older atom hardware? I get missing UI elements in edge with the dark theme applied on this Samsung atom z2760 tablet. It's forced me to switch to the light them.

13 hours ago, zhangm said:

So far, the latest build 14291 seems more stable than the previous two for me.

I've actually had a bsod today with a error I've never seen before, clock_watchdog_timeout. I'm having issues with this atom hardware and windows 10 rs, I need a new laptop or something, stuck with older windows 8.1 drivers since Intel has decided not to support this z2760 is starting to show as MS keeps making changes and adding things. He'll I can't get any sound since 10586.104.

Ok, it seems as though the Edge UI glitches I get aren't limited to the dark theme but whatever theme is set at the time I open it,  only switching to the alternet one shows all the UI again. I don't see other UI errors like this in the OS itself but in edge and in older builds I would see it in the store app, so it's specific to the way some apps draw their UI I'm guessing.

I've been frustrated with Microsoft not releasing new builds for my Lumia 640 even though I'm in the Insider Fast Ring. So, this weekend I went ahead and modified the registry to get the new build. However, the stupid Windows Update was at 80% when it ran out of storage, now it didn't warn be beforehand (I've seen this before) and it also doesn't delete the partial download. So I hard reset my phone and right now I'm restoring from a backup so I can attempt the whole thing again. How I have 5GB+ of free storage which should be enough.

On 3/6/2016 at 6:30 AM, George P said:

I'm with you, I'm tired of atom chips, I'll go i3 at the least for whatever I get next time.

I use (and recommend) WPA2 (either Enterprise or WPA2+TKIP+AES), as every wireless adapter in the house (even my moldie-oldie SMC USB stick that only supports wireless-G) can work with that - not to mention every notebook, tablet, and non-legacy phone.  (And yes - the SMC supports Windows 10 - and natively at that, and that is despite dating back to XP.)

On 3/6/2016 at 6:30 AM, George P said:

The issue is more your integrated audio chipset/codec on that motherboard (not the CPU), as such audio in general is almost ALWAYS worse than any decent audio DSP - and yes, I'm referring specifically to Creative's DSPs of the last three generations (from SoundCore back to the original EMU10K1 of the original Audigy).  I swapped my Recon3D Fata1ity Champion back in and started noticing audio details with ANNO 2205 (my go-to city sim) that the Realtek didn't uncover - not to mention it lightened the load on my G3258 (a nerfed Haswell i3 - which happens to be clocked dead-stock by choice).