[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

14 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Whole load of new app updates on the latest fast ring build:

2w2q5mv.png

No surprise really, seeing as RS1 brings a load of API updates and allows UWP to do/support more things, we'll be sing more and more app updates going forward.

20 hours ago, Pikey said:

Edge seems really poor in 14322 for me for some odd reason, locking up, very unstable ....

So basically Edge feels like Edge? :p

That might just be driver/flash related?   On the stable/public/GA version of Windows 10 I use edge all the time, no issues.  I'm not surprised if the fast ring RS preview builds have some though.  At least every preview build has something new for edge, going from current 10586 Edge v25 to whatever the final RS1 version of Edge will be is looking like a big jump.

8 hours ago, George P said:

That might just be driver/flash related?   On the stable/public/GA version of Windows 10 I use edge all the time, no issues.  I'm not surprised if the fast ring RS preview builds have some though.  At least every preview build has something new for edge, going from current 10586 Edge v25 to whatever the final RS1 version of Edge will be is looking like a big jump.

I use Edge all the time but it is far from stable.

Try this

1. Open any website
  2. Once site has finished loading, left-click address bar - this should select the URL
  3. Right click and copy the URL
  4. Have fun trying to switch tabs or basically use Edge. It goes down in a crapshoot for few mins/secs

I have been hit with this bug on my work laptop (Dell Precision), Surface Pro 4 and Stream 7 since Windows 10 RTM. I have given feedback etc. but no avail.

Such a common and basic use case, I wonder how it has not been patched yet (10586.218 everywhere except Stream 7 which is on rs1).

Having said that, the latest rs1 build on my Stream 7 has finally made it usable. It felt sluggish all the time, especially with Edge. Now it is back to its original perf. on 8.1

32 minutes ago, BajiRav said:

I use Edge all the time but it is far from stable.

Try this

1. Open any website
  2. Once site has finished loading, left-click address bar - this should select the URL
  3. Right click and copy the URL
  4. Have fun trying to switch tabs or basically use Edge. It goes down in a crapshoot for few mins/secs

I have been hit with this bug on my work laptop (Dell Precision), Surface Pro 4 and Stream 7 since Windows 10 RTM. I have given feedback etc. but no avail.

Such a common and basic use case, I wonder how it has not been patched yet (10586.218 everywhere except Stream 7 which is on rs1).

Having said that, the latest rs1 build on my Stream 7 has finally made it usable. It felt sluggish all the time, especially with Edge. Now it is back to its original perf. on 8.1

I've just tried this and I have no issues whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, Jackaluichi said:

I've just tried this and I have no issues whatsoever.

Yup, it is a common issue but for some reason some people don't get it. Look for copy in edge's feedback, many upvotes.

1 hour ago, BajiRav said:

Yup, it is a common issue but for some reason some people don't get it. Look for copy in edge's feedback, many upvotes.

Yeah it doesn't happen to me either, just did it, switched between tabs fine, on 10586.218 or w/e the newest April update version is. 

The only issue with stock Edge I've run into is that sometimes middle clicking a link to open a new tab might open a blank tab, but the 2nd time I try it it works fine.

Is it me or the Edge extensions don't work until the browser is restarted? (not sure if that is stated somewhere).

Question to the majority: Why do you waste your time with a production machine in fast ring. Windows 10 test builds that are flunky will carjack you. stick with release build ring. at least you're getting a stable update/upgrade.

I can see programmers using a non production PC for testing new features and all.

I sure miss the days when we had a true to life final RTM release build. Although from a gamers standpoint I adore Directx12 being in the core of the OS, this perpetual snow ball of builds doesn't make me feel safe to jump to 10 again. Still got my 10 USB driver installer and tied it to my account in the chance Microsoft does a gun to the head move, I'll upgrade. But for now I'll stick my with 8.1 that came with this system.

i'm hoping desperately that MS will release builds that are completely stable and trust worthy. But seeing a lot of broken builds as of lately, probably on fast ring. Fast Ring is like Russian Roulette. ( in the comedic speaking ways of the comedian bill Burr)

6 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

Question to the majority: Why do you waste your time with a production machine in fast ring. Windows 10 test builds that are flunky will carjack you. stick with release build ring. at least you're getting a stable update/upgrade.

I can see programmers using a non production PC for testing new features and all.

I sure miss the days when we had a true to life final RTM release build. Although from a gamers standpoint I adore Directx12 being in the core of the OS, this perpetual snow ball of builds doesn't make me feel safe to jump to 10 again. Still got my 10 USB driver installer and tied it to my account in the chance Microsoft does a gun to the head move, I'll upgrade. But for now I'll stick my with 8.1 that came with this system.

i'm hoping desperately that MS will release builds that are completely stable and trust worthy. But seeing a lot of broken builds as of lately, probably on fast ring. Fast Ring is like Russian Roulette. ( in the comedic speaking ways of the comedian bill Burr)

I have been doing it for years, I like to live on the edge. It is not a waste of time. Ido use Macrium Reflect and have an image of the 10586 RTM. It is fun, you should try it sometime.

when  I find or hear of a build that incorporates the features that MS promises or has promised to add into the OS (probably looking well past the anniversary update (Redstone 1) , I might consider moving back up.  just wait to when MS has the vast 80% of features in 10 and they are stable and usable. 

17 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

when  I find or hear of a build that incorporates the features that MS promises or has promised to add into the OS (probably looking well past the anniversary update (Redstone 1) , I might consider moving back up.  just wait to when MS has the vast 80% of features in 10 and they are stable and usable. 

Build 14332 is pretty much feature complete. From here on out we will get the One Drive update and more bug fixes.

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

Not this nonsense again. Werent you the same guy complaining about bugs and broken builds when you ran the insider builds on your laptop? You would complain and complain about stuff being broken, and many of us pointed out the idea behind an insider build. Now you are here to criticize and question why someone would run an insider preview on a production machine? News flash, that is how you test things.

Of course things will be broken on the fast ring, that is the idea behind the different tiers of "rings."

We had a final RTM, thats what was released last year. All that has changed are updates, similar to service packs, with new names. You are still going on about DX12 being at the core? What does that even mean chris? You mean, it is included as part of 10? Clearly you have some sort of misunderstanding. By your "theory," no other OS has even been a "true to life final RTM release build," because we have had service packs and other updates as well. Stop spouting this nonsense, all you do is cause concern for nothing or confuse other posters.

You switch operating systems every week, its back to 7, then its back to 10 because its so awesome, then you clamor on about something and say how you had to go back to 7. Now your on 8.1. If you would just stick with the RTM build, apply the updates, dont use your funky drivers disc and stop mucking your system up with optimizers and privacy tools, you might have a decent running system. I can guarantee any issues or broken bits you have had, are related to the "tinkering" you do.

You want stable builds? Get off the insider preview, its a PREVIEW for a reason. How hard is it to comprehend that?

1 hour ago, chrisj1968 said:

What? Why are you complaining about instability on preview builds? It is to be expected. You cant really expect all the new features to be stable and perfect, when they are being demoed on a PREVIEW build. They arent ready yet, so bugs are there. Youll get your build with the "promises" when the rest of the general public does.

• Like 2

A little off-topic, but I have a question for you guys: I use the Store version of Facebook in Win 10 and for the love of God the Home key doesn't work in this. That means I have to either hold the up arrow to go back to "top", or to click on Home or use the mouse. But on the FB website I always used the Home key, I got used to it. Is this because of Windows or the FB app? :/

2 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

I use it as my daily driver to stay up to date? There's nothing more annoying in IT than getting a released product dropped into your lap and you've to to learn it right away. Staying on a fast ring ensures you're up to date on the latest and greatest, and also allows you to troubleshoot or be in the know on test systems should bugs or problems arise. It's the sensible thing to do for someone who's in IT, you should be using it daily to allow yourself ample time to adjust when it goes live. If you're running mission critical stuff on a laptop (i.e why?) then yeah, i'd reconsider, but I'm not.

In fact I've been working on a new feature this week coming out with Redstone, erm, the anniversary update and incorporating it into a GPO, so when it's released to the wild, it's ready to go.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, George P said:

Sounds like 14342 might be next build coming to fast ring this week.

I read that there won't be a new build this week.

5 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

That's not the point of the insider program, it's to pre-release software as quickly as possible, test it out, and get feedback on it. Not to release production quality software to the Insiders faster than everyone else. It's to get the Insiders feedback.