[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I think it'll be disappointing that the new taskbar won't be revealed for this.

You'll love this release if you really don't like the Modern environment, otherwise I think you'll be waiting until jan/feb when they release the consumer preview

I know that's what i'm waiting for, not to say i'm not curious at all what this new build has to offer us

My personal thought about Technical Preview would be that it would have new IE12, so I can write and learn about it, I really like testing browsers. LOL!!!

• Like 1

It having IE12 could be real, I mean if you are all about enterprise with this first preview then you need the new IE in there so they can test that out as well.

You'll love this release if you really don't like the Modern environment, otherwise I think you'll be waiting until jan/feb when they release the consumer preview

I know that's what i'm waiting for, not to say i'm not curious at all what this new build has to offer us

I love the modern environment, and I'm happy I'll be able to re-activate the Start Screen, and run applications in full screen.

I'm just hoping that, if Microsoft truly believes this release to be a "Threshold", than we'll see more new modern bits in place of the legacy bits that should have been replaced long ago. The Control Panel, for example. PC Settings is more than able to take its place, and will confuse less people.

I think it'll be disappointing that the new taskbar won't be revealed for this.

Also, not sure why too many here are over analyzing the Terry Myerson image. If the name has still yet to be chosen, there isn't anything hiding behind him.

How likely is this 'new taskbar' going to turn into another 'Aero Diamond' hereabouts (or 'Animated Aurora Wallpaper', WRT Vista)?  In your honest opinion - and based on what?  I recall throughout the interminable Vista beta there was Neowinians who swore there were more UI FX held back for RTM 'Ultimate Edition' (or some mythical 'frosting pack').  All we really got between beta & RTM were icon updates and minor tweaks. 

How likely is this 'new taskbar' going to turn into another 'Aero Diamond' hereabouts (or 'Animated Aurora Wallpaper', WRT Vista)?  In your honest opinion - and based on what?  I recall throughout the interminable Vista beta there was Neowinians who swore there were more UI FX held back for RTM 'Ultimate Edition' (or some mythical 'frosting pack').  All we really got between beta & RTM were icon updates and minor tweaks. 

I'm not the one to ask. Brad Sams was the one to report that Threshold will have a distinctive new look, and feel.

I love the modern environment, and I'm happy I'll be able to re-activate the Start Screen, and run applications in full screen.

I'm just hoping that, if Microsoft truly believes this release to be a "Threshold", than we'll see more new modern bits in place of the legacy bits that should have been replaced long ago. The Control Panel, for example. PC Settings is more than able to take its place, and will confuse less people.

The modern UI changes seem to not be coming until maybe January and February as an update to the Threshold preview build.

The modern UI changes seem to not be coming until maybe January and February as an update to the Threshold preview build.

This is the second time I'm hearing of a Jan/Feb release. Where is this info coming from?

This is the second time I'm hearing of a Jan/Feb release. Where is this info coming from?

You will be able to join an insider program if you agree to give feedback, and as such will get build updates on a regular basis to test new features and verify bugs are fixed.  Kind of like how things worked before Sinofsky was in charge.

• Like 3

Sweet!

The ARM versions of Threshold for both Tablets and Phones, should have the desktop UI removed, so when those builds come out - they should bring with them the Modern UI bits as a focus.  This first preview release of Threshold is focusing on the Desktop environment changes.

The ARM versions of Threshold for both Tablets and Phones, should have the desktop UI removed, so when those builds come out - they should bring with them the Modern UI bits as a focus.  This first preview release of Threshold is focusing on the Desktop environment changes.

I would assume that to unify platforms, Microsoft would be focusing a bit more on the Metro UI, despite it can be run windowed on a desktop. It doesn't make much sense to have Settings on a tablet, and the classic Control Panel on the desktop.

I would assume that to unify platforms, Microsoft would be focusing a bit more on the Metro UI, despite it can be run windowed on a desktop. It doesn't make much sense to have Settings on a tablet, and the classic Control Panel on the desktop.

Threshold has been designed AFAIK so that they can test new features with sets of users, so perhaps they will merge.  The thing is, I don't think they will have the nerve to remove one or the other on the Desktop side of things.  Too many drivers and software hook into the Control Panel applets, but hopefully on the tablets, the desktop and all it's legacy will be removed including the Control Panel.

Threshold has been designed AFAIK so that they can test new features with sets of users, so perhaps they will merge.  The thing is, I don't think they will have the nerve to remove one or the other on the Desktop side of things.  Too many drivers and software hook into the Control Panel applets, but hopefully on the tablets, the desktop and all it's legacy will be removed including the Control Panel.

There could be a way to leave a few sub systems in place in order to run Control Panel applets, no?

As a OS X user, im very interested in this, Windows 8 Start button was a waste of time imho and this new version only makes it worst.

The Start Button? :huh:

Getting Excited.

mdtaUK - change that funny pic - that person is weird - kinda creeps me out - like Fester from Addams Family meets a trekkie

(If thats you - then Im kidding)

Sorry for Creeping you out with my face... lol

• Like 2

I'll have a post about build numbers and other tidbits tomorrow; I played with 9841 while I was in Seattle last week.

So pretty much confirmed that we are not getting a build at the event but later "in october"?

So pretty much confirmed that we are not getting a build at the event but later "in october"?

I dont know exactly, I heard October...which starts on Thursday.

If we assume that the new Windows Logo is centred on that screen, that only leaves space for a number following it, behind Terry Myerson...

If you enhance the pic, you can see reflection of a bystander's specs in the webcam lens. If you enhance it further, you can make out two periods followed by a pipe.

I think there is enough space to fit ..|..

If you enhance the pic, you can see reflection of a bystander's specs in the webcam lens. If you enhance it further, you can make out two periods followed by a pipe.

I think there is enough space to fit ..|..

But is it someone flipping Myerson off for off centering the logo to cause speculation of something else perhaps?  :rolleyes:  ONE can only wonder.