[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Note the Office folder!

And unfortunately, there is advertising on the start menu now.

Yes! Tile folders from Windows Phone 8.1 Denim!

Anyone notice...Cortana seems a little different. It looks more like part of the taskbar and less a toolbar that's on it. Also, new Skype icon? and People looks different, as well...and Messaging is back. So many things...

Is it possible this is an old concept, or could this be a concept of things to come?

How about that "Phone Companion" app, eh? Was that a thing before?

Nope. Closest thing I can come up with is the Windows Phone app.

Disable live tile, nothing new. It was in 8 and 8.1

@nosense I do believe he is referring to the suggested app on the left side and not the live tiles

Yes, I do mean the suggested section in the start menu, not the store tile in the mini start screen.

Let's take my finest example : FIFA Online 3 .

On Windows 8.1 it works like a charm .

On Windows 10 January TP - 9926 it makes my mouse to not be detected when I exit from it [ form the game , obviously ] .

If that seems better for you , I have nothing to say ...

By the way ... None of my games [ that I play daily ] haven't got any boost while I was running any version of Windows 10 so far ... So , you guys , just trust some lies [ and only because they are written ] , and not some true facts because are being said by a kid , like me . 

It's hard to tell whether or not you're trolling. You have already mentioned having low-end hardware and that you haven't seen any increase in performance. What exactly is your setup? Here's my current desktop and laptop specs and I have seen an increase on both and neither of them are high-end at all.

Desktop:

AMD FX-6300 6 Core at 3.5ghz

8gb's RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2gb

Laptop:

Intel Core i3-2730M at 2.40ghz

4gb's ram

Intel HD 3000 Which can use up to 2gb's of my RAM for video if I remember correctly

Neither of those are powerful by todays standards at all, but I have clearly gotten a performance increase on both with the most coming from the desktop since it has a slightly more recent video card. That laptop can actually run the Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha on medium to high settings at 1366x768. Eventually starts to get a little hot, but I bet if I were to put 8.1 back on this it would lag like crazy. It lagged with Assassin's Creed on 8.1. It runs perfectly smooth with the Technical Preview installed.

You're either trolling, have no idea what you're actually talking about or think that since it doesn't work right for you then everyone else HAS to experience the same or else they are lying. I believe it's a combination of all of that to be perfectly honest with you.

They have clearly done something with the Technical Preview that works wonders with gaming. If you're not seeing it (and it seems like almost everyone else has) then quit trolling or admit you might not know exactly what you're talking about or just have too weak a system to see the performance gain.

I mean my freaking laptop is a business class Dell Inspiron 3520 that I bought in Feb. of 2013 and it's not built for gaming at all, yet I can run Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, the Batman Arkham games, Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha and many others perfectly fine. I eventually get heat issues if I go too long, but that is expected. I don't do a lot of heavy gaming on this thing. That's on my desktop/consoles.

Yeah, really maybe a system thing, protruding from the Start Menu :D   Nice Rs covering.  

The illustration/concept is self evident.  Whether it makes to a public release we can't say now, but it would seem essential to me, so that Taskbar icons for Modern apps can become 'live'.   'Live' info on the Desktop?  We've been there before, and it made no sense without a side-bar reservation (i.e, Vista was better than 7 in that respect).

I already stated earlier that they could be anything from tiles to system items, so what was I covering again..

It's up to the developer but any store app can extend it's UI into the title bar instead of having it be a distinct object. It's a simple line of code from what I remember. Apps that don't will default to whatever is set, i'd like to see more extend into it though, we don't really need it to be separate like before.

Probably set by the app, too!

Note the Office folder!

And unfortunately, there is advertising on the start menu now.

UNIFIED TILE COLORS! :D

The thing about Phone Companion is it welcomes all types of devices, I am truly excited for that!

It's hard to tell whether or not you're trolling. You have already mentioned having low-end hardware and that you haven't seen any increase in performance. What exactly is your setup? Here's my current desktop and laptop specs and I have seen an increase on both and neither of them are high-end at all.

Desktop:

AMD FX-6300 6 Core at 3.5ghz

8gb's RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2gb

Laptop:

Intel Core i3-2730M at 2.40ghz

4gb's ram

Intel HD 3000 Which can use up to 2gb's of my RAM for video if I remember correctly

Neither of those are powerful by todays standards at all, but I have clearly gotten a performance increase on both with the most coming from the desktop since it has a slightly more recent video card. That laptop can actually run the Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha on medium to high settings at 1366x768. Eventually starts to get a little hot, but I bet if I were to put 8.1 back on this it would lag like crazy. It lagged with Assassin's Creed on 8.1. It runs perfectly smooth with the Technical Preview installed.

You're either trolling, have no idea what you're actually talking about or think that since it doesn't work right for you then everyone else HAS to experience the same or else they are lying. I believe it's a combination of all of that to be perfectly honest with you.

They have clearly done something with the Technical Preview that works wonders with gaming. If you're not seeing it (and it seems like almost everyone else has) then quit trolling or admit you might not know exactly what you're talking about or just have too weak a system to see the performance gain.

I mean my freaking laptop is a business class Dell Inspiron 3520 that I bought in Feb. of 2013 and it's not built for gaming at all, yet I can run Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, the Batman Arkham games, Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha and many others perfectly fine. I eventually get heat issues if I go too long, but that is expected. I don't do a lot of heavy gaming on this thing. That's on my desktop/consoles.

My Desktop is weaker than your laptop ; in fact , I said it before ... MS ignores those who haven't recent PCs and they do nothing with making them somehow equal [ with this OS , at least ] along everyone which has a better configuration .

Any respectful producer should make '' justice '' along all their customers ...

We're not rich persons like most of real gamers are ... we just want a decent and somehow equal experience with others , especially when we talk about a new OS and if they won't do that they will got a refuel and another financial breakdown ... much bigger then that one form 2012 - 2013  .

Don't you wonder why most of PC users still using Windows 7 [ or even Vista / XP ] ?

My Desktop is weaker than your laptop ; in fact , I said it before ... MS ignores those who haven't recent PCs and they do nothing with making them somehow equal [ with this OS , at least ] along everyone which has a better configuration .

Any respectful producer should make '' justice '' along all their customers ...

We're not rich persons like most of real gamers are ... we just want a decent and somehow equal experience with others , especially when we talk about a new OS and if they won't do that they will got a refuel and another financial breakdown ... much bigger then that one form 2012 - 2013  .

Don't you wonder why most of PC users still using Windows 7 [ or even Vista / XP ] ?

if technology advances then users should try to do some kind of upgrade to accommodate these advances in technology, don't you think?

You wouldn't expect that the next 2 iterations of Windows to have the same requirements as XP had, would you?

If you don't have the money to upgrade, stick with 7 and wait for the moment to upgrade to a smoother experience or use Linux (which I hate BTW).

Users still using XP and Vista have way too older PC's and/or do not want to upgrade to something better or they are restricted in doing so. As for companies it is either down to lack of funds for doing the HW/SW upgrades or plain stupidity or compatibility issues (which still should not be a valid reason though).

It's well known that you can't advance [ on Hardware although ] just with a component ... So , for a maximum experience from 10 I'd need a completely new PC [ along a GPU with a DX 12 , a DDR4 RAM and so on ] which would mean extraordinary expensive for a student like me .

You said you hate Linux ...

How can it still be a very used OS and innovative too [ also for all PCs ] !? - and Windows 10 not ?

Why MS don't take its example ?

Anyone expecting a new build today?

It's well known that you can't advance [ on Hardware although ] just with a component ... So , for a maximum experience from 10 I'd need a completely new PC [ along a GPU with a DX 12 , a DDR4 RAM and so on ] which would mean extraordinary expensive for a student like me .

How can it still be a very used OS and innovative too [ also for all PCs ] !? - and Windows 10 not ?

if you're a student it is understandable that you do not have money to make the upgrade; BTW it is not mandatory to have a DX12 video card, but it's preferable if you have a new system nonetheless; getting back to the point of the OS performance, it is true Win10 is still not as fast as it should be IMO...

Windows is simply more popular and user friendly (you can interpret these interchangeably).

Stack up some money to get a better machine.. Windows10 will launch this year so next year you might be able to do something on this.

if you're a student it is understandable that you do not have money to make the upgrade; BTW it is not mandatory to have a DX12 video card, but it's preferable if you have a new system nonetheless; getting back to the point of the OS performance, it is true Win10 is still not as fast as it should be IMO...

Windows is simply more popular and user friendly (you can interpret these interchangeably).

Stack up some money to get a better machine.. Windows10 will launch this year so next year you might be able to do something on this.

Straight to the point .

Why I had to post so much to get an enjoyable answer like this ? [ which I hope it will make others to understand my point of view and that I'm not kidding / or trolling either . ] .

Let's take my finest example : FIFA Online 3 .

On Windows 8.1 it works like a charm .

On Windows 10 January TP - 9926 it makes my mouse to not be detected when I exit from it [ form the game , obviously ] .

If that seems better for you , I have nothing to say ...

By the way ... None of my games [ that I play daily ] haven't got any boost while I was running any version of Windows 10 so far ... So , you guys , just trust some lies [ and only because they are written ] , and not some true facts because are being said by a kid , like me . 

Then go tell EA to fix their crap.

It's up to the developer but any store app can extend it's UI into the title bar instead of having it be a distinct object. It's a simple line of code from what I remember. Apps that don't will default to whatever is set, i'd like to see more extend into it though, we don't really need it to be separate like before.

As of 8.1, you can only do a few things with the status bar on WP but nothing on Win, like change colours, opacity, or hide it and use the space it takes. Hopefully 10 will allow us to do a bit more in both cases.

Well, no kidding, a new OS requires a bit newer hardware, who would have thought? Heresy, I say!

Straight to the point .

Why I had to post so much to get an enjoyable answer like this ? [ which I hope it will make others to understand my point of view and that I'm not kidding / or trolling either . ] .

Because when you talk about technical stuff, people either expect you to actually have read and explored what you're talking about, or just not post nonsense.

Sadly, not yet. :/

Happy birthday! :fun:

This has become a daily joke on his Twitter account. :laugh:

Define '' a bit newer '' , please .

P.S : When Windows 8 or 8 . 1 came out no upgrade was needed for a completely functional PC on Windows 7 , so why to change the rule ?

Like that proverb says : '' If it's not broken , don't fix it '' .

P.S.S : I was expecting from you to actually know what I'm referring to ...

I'm looking at you like at some pro's , guys ...

You suppose to have enough [ more than me ] experience to know exactly what I say and don't request a proof [ link , source and so on ] for any of my post ... I'm not a newbie either : http://pctroubleshooting.ro/user/31597-terror/ .

Happy birthday! :fun:

This has become a daily joke on his Twitter account. :laugh:

Thank you! :D

Sadly, yes. I feel his pain, but at least he's willing to be so open.

Define '' a bit newer '' , please .

P.S : When Windows 8 or 8 . 1 came out no upgrade was needed for a completely functional PC on Windows 7 , so why to change the rule ?

Like that proverb says : '' If it's not broken , don't fix it '' .

Eventually, you have to make a leap to move forward. Windows 7 era hardware is long in the tooth. There's new class of hardware on the market today, that was only a dream in 2009.

My question is , why now and why even in Windows 10 era ?

Isn't too early ?

The 2009 dream lived 'till 2013 [ in Windows 8.1 era ] so , again , why now , at 2 years difference ?

Straight to the point .

I cannot understand a portion of this whole posting.  The reason I cannot is, the OS (Windows 10 Preview) runs very, very well on a Dell Latitude that is a decade old.

Is it the fastest thing around?  No it is not.  But the OS Supports it, and brings the updates that it can to the OS.  The other updates will only appear on the hardware that I have that is newer.

DX12 is a combination issue.  To fully support DX12, you need a hardware update.  To fully support HD on a TV, you need a hardware update if you have a mid-range TV from a decade ago.  Cellphones, same issue.  Apple just did it with the IPhone 5S vs IPhone 6.  You cannot use Apple Pay on an IPhone 5S, because it does not have the required hardware.  Software is there though.

As for the rest of the upgrades, do it when your financial situation allows, but that does not mean the OS will not run well on your machine, as well if not better than Windows 7, with all of the updates that can be done.

I cannot understand a portion of this whole posting.  The reason I cannot is, the OS (Windows 10 Preview) runs very, very well on a Dell Latitude that is a decade old.

Is it the fastest thing around?  No it is not.  But the OS Supports it, and brings the updates that it can to the OS.  The other updates will only appear on the hardware that I have that is newer.

DX12 is a combination issue.  To fully support DX12, you need a hardware update.  To fully support HD on a TV, you need a hardware update if you have a mid-range TV from a decade ago.  Cellphones, same issue.  Apple just did it with the IPhone 5S vs IPhone 6.  You cannot use Apple Pay on an IPhone 5S, because it does not have the required hardware.  Software is there though.

As for the rest of the upgrades, do it when your financial situation allows, but that does not mean the OS will not run well on your machine, as well if not better than Windows 7, with all of the updates that can be done.

Even better than Windows 8 . 1 ? [ comparatively with the RTM Windows 10 ] ?