[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Looks ok in this mode but when maximized, its just a massive waste of space.

A personal opinion, can't they add something near 'Updates & Security' to complete the second row? :s Its killing me.

Try maximizing the current Control Panel in 7/8.1 - you get the same result. Windows like these aren't really supposed to be maximized, I've never done that at least, there's no point.

Looks ok in this mode but when maximized, its just a massive waste of space.

A personal opinion, can't they add something near 'Updates & Security' to complete the second row? :s Its killing me.

I think 'System' has way too many submenus than the rest. Maybe separating all the App settings from 'System' and adding it under a separate button would solve (like 'Search and Apps' in current Windows 8).

I've sent them a suggestion to add 'add & remove programs' as that is one of the most used features in control panel. 

• Like 2

Good way to think about it .

Even if , most of sure , I'll go back to Windows 8 .

P.S : Does Windows 8 have that '' GWX '' as Windows 8.1 and 7 SP1 got ?

Got to ask - Charlie Bronson, is a Romanian hero..?!! :|

Try maximizing the current Control Panel in 7/8.1 - you get the same result. Windows like these aren't really supposed to be maximized, I've never done that at least, there's no point.

You're right... Always used Control Panel in Large Icons view so it filled my screen and never noticed the category view. I was watching the WinBeta video of this build where he maximized the Settings app and I was like "whaa? you could fit a photo frame around these!"

I've sent them a suggestion to add 'add & remove programs' as that is one of the most used features in control panel. 

Good idea although that could be moved under installed apps. So overall a category that relates to Programs/Apps as they deserve a separate listing.

Can you not type on the start menu/screen anymore after they moved the search to a separate menu ?

So annoying every time I open start and try to type something I want and it won't show up. and then I either need to scroll down the retarded all apps list(no tree view isn't better, but a single collumn isn't exactly brilliant), or I have to open search to use as a launcher...

why should moving search/cortana out to a separate menu necessitate start menu search for apps.  

Good to know. I never used wmp for my media player anyways so I guess nothing changes for me.

I've used VLC and XBMC/KODI for years. I almost forgot WMP still existed.

Can you not type on the start menu/screen anymore after they moved the search to a separate menu ?

So annoying every time I open start and try to type something I want and it won't show up. and then I either need to scroll down the retarded all apps list(no tree view isn't better, but a single collumn isn't exactly brilliant), or I have to open search to use as a launcher...

why should moving search/cortana out to a separate menu necessitate start menu search for apps.  

something is wrong on your install

you should still be able to open start menu and just start typing still. the start menu will collapse and cortana/search will expand when you start typing

something is wrong on your install

you should still be able to open start menu and just start typing still. the start menu will collapse and cortana/search will expand when you start typing

Wish it was that easy on mine. For some reason it will not even focus when I start typing or 10074 starts to have huge delays / issues recognizing that I am typing.

Not sure what is going on. Seems like a strange bug.

Wish it was that easy on mine. For some reason it will not even focus when I start typing or 10074 starts to have huge delays / issues recognizing that I am typing.

Not sure what is going on. Seems like a strange bug.

upgrade or clean install?

i ask because some have had weird issues such as that from upgrading between the TP builds but a clean install of the latest official build has cleared up a lot of those issues for many

upgrade or clean install?

i ask because some have had weird issues such as that from upgrading between the TP builds but a clean install of the latest official build has cleared up a lot of those issues for many

It was a clean install.

Boot to VHD made via HyperV.

At first I did not have this issue .. but after a few restarts it started up. Not quite sure on what the issue is.

It is extremely annoying. Hopefully the next build won't have this issue.

Any 3rd party player can play DVDs fine, what MS did is take it out from their own native players, so WMP won't do DVDs and so on.  They did this because lots of OEMs, HP, Dell and so on, like to ship their own crapware be it AV and even media players.  I bought my mom a new HP laptop back in January, it comes preloaded with PowerDVD and some other apps from the same company.   MS doesn't want to keep paying for the DVD licensing for every install of windows when they see only a small % actually use it, so they'll make it a optional download that you'll pay for it seems.

What MS also doing is screwing over people who use WMC for it's main feature - TV/PVR and general media center setup. For those who have TV Tuner and want to continue use it there's just no proper alternative.

What MS also doing is screwing over people who use WMC for it's main feature - TV/PVR and general media center setup. For those who have TV Tuner and want to continue use it there's just no proper alternative.

I always expected them to turn WMC into an App for the "Metro/Tiles" interface. Guess that this could still happen if people made one of those giant User Suggestion / Vote forms?

the # of people that actually use WMC anymore is very small

+ most of those tv tuners come with their own software that can record TV shows as well so it's really a non issue (sure those software's aren't usually as good but that's really not the point)

the # of people that actually use WMC anymore is very small

+ most of those tv tuners come with their own software that can record TV shows as well so it's really a non issue (sure those software's aren't usually as good but that's really not the point)

^ This.

The number of users is so small that it's not worth supporting in future versions of Windows, if you do use it then leave your HTPC at the current version it's at, don't upgrade to Windows 10.  Or if you feel the need to upgrade then try out one of the alternatives and see if those work for you.

MCE hasn't worked well as a media center for ages.

the TV tuner only works in certain parts of the world and only if you have the right provider since there's no way to input transpoder frequencies manually, and they never update them or add missing ones since 10 years ago. even then, TV is the only thing it does over Plex and Kodi(though I believe XMBC/Kodi has recently gotten tv tuner support).

all in all, if you want a Media Center with TV tuner support, MediaPortal is a much better option, it offer everything WMC does and more, and is as easy to use once you set it up, the new version are pretty easy to set up as well. and due to the community assisted central DB of TV providers and locations, even if you can you most likely wont need to input transponders in 99.999% of cases, especially with new TV networks that lets you discover them automatically(which WMC doesn't support)

WMC is outdated and was only given a extension in Win7 because of people crying about it, but with so few using it, and it not having been updated in ages, there was no point in it when there are better and more updated solutions. 

I always expected them to turn WMC into an App for the "Metro/Tiles" interface. Guess that this could still happen if people made one of those giant User Suggestion / Vote forms?

to few users and to much work, it's not worth the resources unless they sell it for a ridiculous amount o money, just look at the amount of devs working on open/free solutions like MediaPortal

Has someone found how to enable Jump Lists on 10074?  Seems that the reg hack does not work anymore.

I fixed this by waiting for the next build.

Wait wait wait! It's working!!!!

post-306374-0-90298100-1430840620.png

Why is Microsoft intending to fix things in later releases? Edge won't have addons "until later", now DVD playback won't be fixed "until later". Sheesh, Windows 10 is going to RTM in a broken state.

Broken or incomplete are two very different things.

^ This.

The number of users is so small that it's not worth supporting in future versions of Windows, if you do use it then leave your HTPC at the current version it's at, don't upgrade to Windows 10.  Or if you feel the need to upgrade then try out one of the alternatives and see if those work for you.

they have no replacement for the tv features, no Xbox music,video with a TV mode yet. maybe in future continuum updates where apps scale to the xbox when you plug in your pc to a tv?

I don't know if these keys has something to do, but this is what I did:

Gettting the basics from here:

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-10041-heres-how-to-enable-jump-lists-in-the-start-menu

We can then:

• Open regedit.exe (Win+R)
  • Navigate to: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced"
  • Create a new "Dword (32-bit) value"
  • Name it "EnableJumpView"
  • Set its value to 1
  • Create a new "Dword (32-bit) value"
  • Name it "EnableXamlJumpView"
  • Restart PC

they have no replacement for the tv features, no Xbox music,video with a TV mode yet. maybe in future continuum updates where apps scale to the xbox when you plug in your pc to a tv?

The way MS sees it, and the market overall, TV DVR and HTPC type setups are done and a pretty small niche market.  The market has moved on to streaming services, or streaming from your PC to your TV via the Xbox or some other DLNA device.   Could they add DVR to the Xbox One in a future update?  Maybe? But I think being able to DVR content has more to do with licensing and copyright limitations than it does with any technical limits of the current hardware or software they have.  I mean look how they've added recording games to the XB1 and the PC with Windows 10 without issue.

The way MS sees it, and the market overall, TV DVR and HTPC type setups are done and a pretty small niche market.  The market has moved on to streaming services, or streaming from your PC to your TV via the Xbox or some other DLNA device.   Could they add DVR to the Xbox One in a future update?  Maybe? But I think being able to DVR content has more to do with licensing and copyright limitations than it does with any technical limits of the current hardware or software they have.  I mean look how they've added recording games to the XB1 and the PC with Windows 10 without issue.

Yes streaming recorded live TV whenever and where ever you want through Windows 10 on your Phone that turns into a PC and your PC that turns into an Xbox all streamed through Xbox Video hosted on OneDrive... One Microsoft.

• Like 1

Any 3rd party player can play DVDs fine, what MS did is take it out from their own native players, so WMP won't do DVDs and so on.  They did this because lots of OEMs, HP, Dell and so on, like to ship their own crapware be it AV and even media players.  I bought my mom a new HP laptop back in January, it comes preloaded with PowerDVD and some other apps from the same company.   MS doesn't want to keep paying for the DVD licensing for every install of windows when they see only a small % actually use it, so they'll make it a optional download that you'll pay for it seems.

I think I'm a little confused now...I thought WMC was discontinued...not WMP, as it is present in the last bunch of builds and it works fine. I sometimes bounce back and forth with VLC but WMP has been around for a long time and works great for me. Once file associations are set, it plays all the video formats I have. Did I miss something and WMP is also going...I hope not, I have been using it for music for a very long time...(breaks out in cold sweat...) Cheers.. :cry:

recording TV requires hardware with a CI+ module. technically.

I mean certain software like MediaPortal can do it anyway and save unencrypted. BUT MS would never get away with that without being kicked out of every TV licensing deal they have