[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

I had the large store icon too, i deleted it and re added it to start and it now appears as yours does, but it green.

Actually i have both, the normal 'Store' and the 'Store (beta)'.

Correct. The Store (Beta) will be the only store app at RTM. The green one you have pinned is the old one, by the sounds of it.

I was feeling confident in this build so I installed enterprise at the office. Everything works great. The virtual desktops are immensely useful. Is it possible to always have an app open on a particular desktop?

Also, the UI is really growing on me. I was a big hater for a long time but going to Win 7 at work before back to Win 10 just feels more modern. I think if they implement aero glass in windows, the UI will be almost perfect.

I was feeling confident in this build so I installed enterprise at the office. Everything works great. The virtual desktops are immensely useful. Is it possible to always have an app open on a particular desktop?

Also, the UI is really growing on me. I was a big hater for a long time but going to Win 7 at work before back to Win 10 just feels more modern. I think if they implement aero glass in windows, the UI will be almost perfect.

I'm in agreement.  Windows 10 is shaping up nicely.  In addition to your Aero glass comment ... I think refinement of the Start Menu (i.e. folders, delete shortcuts, similar to Windows 7 with regards to functionality) and then I'm sold.  It is close...and I'm looking forward to future builds.

I'm in agreement.  Windows 10 is shaping up nicely.  In addition to your Aero glass comment ... I think refinement of the Start Menu (i.e. folders, delete shortcuts, similar to Windows 7 with regards to functionality) and then I'm sold.  It is close...and I'm looking forward to future builds.

Yeah you're spot on. Refining the start menu is the major thing along with obviously getting Edge stable. I think if they add sone visual flare like Aero glass to windows and maybe a few other things, it will be great. It's funny that for so long I was so vocal about hating the simplified flat look and now it is growing on me. Win 7 was still my favorite looking MS OS but 10 is definitely looking modern and poised to be our main OS for years to come.

On a side note, in mail I can't seem to download attachments or drag them to desktop. Anyone else had this issue? It has me using Mailbird instead which is nice, but I want to use as many native apps as possible.

Yeah you're spot on. Refining the start menu is the major thing along with obviously getting Edge stable. I think if they add sone visual flare like Aero glass to windows and maybe a few other things, it will be great. It's funny that for so long I was so vocal about hating the simplified flat look and now it is growing on me. Win 7 was still my favorite looking MS OS but 10 is definitely looking modern and poised to be our main OS for years to come.

On a side note, in mail I can't seem to download attachments or drag them to desktop. Anyone else had this issue? It has me using Mailbird instead which is nice, but I want to use as many native apps as possible.

Since RT apps are sandboxed, drag'n'drop wasn't implemented for them to this day. But there were news that they're working on it.

I agree <he says smugly>. It's what wanted all along. 

I finally went back to 8.1 again.  Too many little game issues that by themselves didn't matter much but all together were pretty annoying.

This is what it all comes down to...A person will use the software that gets what he/she wants done...and hopefully down the road Win 10 issues will be cleared for you...Cheers

New PC build soon?

I have the feeling Gabe is talking about build 10122. Who knows? We may get our hands on it before next weekend.

I have the feeling Gabe is talking about build 10122. Who knows? We may get our hands on it before next weekend.

All I hope for is a build that is stable and usable. I think at this point, we'll see the new Start UX, and have a working People app. I'm still hopeful that they re-implement touch features of Windows 8.1.

• Like 1

It'll be nice to get a new build...hopefully "Edge" will have a few things done as well...

It'll be nice to get a new build...hopefully "Edge" will have a few things done as well...

So far it should have working history listing, private browsing mode (InPrivate), save and retrieve passwords (mostly Windows Passport ones, tied to your Microsoft account, just like with IE10 and 11), top sites and top sites with suggestion page to start a new tab with (also synced). What's not so certain yet is the ability to open new window instances externally (not just from within Spartan/Edge), proper multitasking support (so it wouldn't auto suspend downloading or playing music/video contents when minimized or in another virtual desktop) and of course curious to see if they have changed the name officially to Microsoft Edge as well.

Since RT apps are sandboxed, drag'n'drop wasn't implemented for them to this day. But there were news that they're working on it.

I'm on a desktop, not a tablet.

Drag and drop between store apps should be working already, older store apps might not support it ofc, would need to be updated.

I'm on a desktop, not a tablet.

What does that have to do with RT sandboxing? RT apps work fine on desktop machines.

What does that have to do with RT sandboxing? RT apps work fine on desktop machines.

Didn't know that. Wasn't sure what RT had to do with it. I was talking about dragging attachments from mail to the desktop.

Has this been confirmed on Neowin anywhere, about insiders getting a free copy or is this news wrong?

Will I be able to upgrade from the Windows 10 Technical Preview to the final release?

There is has been some debate regarding qualification for the final release of Windows 10.

Microsoft has noted the intention is to provide a direct upgrade path from the Preview to the final release. Of course, decisions can change. Recently, the company noted that you could upgrade non genuine licenses to Windows 10, but later it was found out, that license would be non genuine.

So, to be on the safe side, its best you ensure you have a valid genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license installed in order to qualify for the final release. Company officials have noted though if you join the Windows Insider Program and upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10, you will qualify for the free upgrade to the final release.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I'd only upgrade from 8.1 to the final RTM build when the time comes, not one of these preview builds.

Is it possible to somehow remove the Win 10 update that shows up in Windows Update after running that damn tool on the Insider website? Didn't know it would do that immediately as soon as it is ran, and now Win 10 keeps showing up as an update in WU for my lappy's 8.1 install.

Already tried it on my SP2, and it was way more terrible than how it is in a VM.

Is it possible to somehow remove the Win 10 update that shows up in Windows Update after running that damn tool on the Insider website? Didn't know it would do that immediately as soon as it is ran, and now Win 10 keeps showing up as an update in WU for my lappy's 8.1 install.

Already tried it on my SP2, and it was way more terrible than how it is in a VM.

The surface Pro's are missing drivers and aren't as ready for full win 10 usage as other computers yet.