[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Build 10122 is still a huge regression on tablets. :(

I really only miss a few things.

• Larger All Apps
  • Different ways of sorting All Apps and semantic zoom
  • Full screen browsing like Modern IE

Other then that I can live with it I guess :)

• Like 1

Is anyone having problems running certain modern apps?

Tweetium, Instapic and some others crash less than a second before clicking on them. Reinstalling doesn't fix the problem.

I really only miss a few things.

• Larger All Apps
  • Different ways of sorting All Apps and semantic zoom
  • Full screen browsing like Modern IE

Other then that I can live with it I guess :)

What about the silly single collumn start screen ?  and no edge swipe quick app switch ?

though I' sure the start menu is a bug or temporary as none of the concepts have shown a single column, and with the non full screen start menu having two, it seems like it's a bug, probably a result of adding code to support smaller/vertical tablets and either there's a bug that doesn't make it recognize horizontal screen space or it doesn't recognize orientation switch or something, either way I'm sure that'll be fixed back to two at least(though I do think you should be able to have 3 or more if you can fit them, but...)

I do want quick app switching with edge swipe back though. and a start button somewhere middle ish on the action center edge swipe at about thumb position would be great if they could fit it in.  thenit would be pretty close to perfect. f they added back and forward swipe gestures to Edge...

I really want Start to support indefinite columns, as the user's screen resolution allows. Limiting it to just two is beyond silly.

• Like 3

I really want Start to support indefinite columns, as the user's screen resolution allows. Limiting it to just two is beyond silly.

Limiting options probably makes coding it easier, but functionally, yea, it shouldn't be too hard to make as many columns as your mouse can drag.

Folder icons pinned on the start menu still rendering ridiculously low resolution copies? Even the desktop icons, the same visual size, are high resolution, but the shortcuts are like 16x16 stretched.

EDIT

Also, is the biometric lock systems working? Haven't heard anything about them.

Edited by Zagadka

If you want indefinite columns, then you need a display with an indefinite horizontal resolution.  Since you can now place groupings within the columns, I don't see the problem (and oh so much more user friendly now).  Phones/minis have one, basic laptop gets two, 1080 gets three, 2k gets 4 and so on.

Horizontal scrolling is over.

You should be able to add more columns as long as it actually fits on your display at whatever resolution and monitor size you are using. You can fit more than 3 on a monitor at 1920x1080.

I agree, but there is logic to two. it basically ensures they layout is identical across devices, except in portrait mode when you get one...

not saying it's a good reason, just that it might be why. 

At defaults, three fills a 1080 without crunching the tile sizes (I'd rather preserve the extra bit of space for expansion of the Apps list), it can't fit four.  I'll bet a 'show more' option will resurface to tweak tile sizing/number if you want to one more.  Still infinite vertical, as it should be.

Well, start surely is a regression from what we had in Windows 8.1. These are the things I'm missing:

- Horizontal scrolling, it just doesn't make sense to do this vertically

- Option to put more tiles side-by-side in one collumn

- Select multiple tiles at once

- Easy customization, the current Windows Phone-like way of changing tile behavior in Windows 10 is just no practical (or that is due to the bad performance)

I don't get what's wrong with scrolling vertically, vs horizontal, we've been scrolling vertically forever, it's what more people are used to doing compared to horizontal.  It's also a consistent behavior between desktop/tablet and mobile, there's no need to have phone/phablets and mini-tablets scrolling vertically and having bigger tablets/laptops and desktop scrolling horizontal.  Once you can add more columns to the start screen, say 3 or 4, depending on screen size, then you gain back more tiles on the screen, which is the only difference right now between old and new screen. 

I really don't like isometric perspective. I wish they were angled so that they are facing you rather than looking away diagonally. The gradients and colors are fine though. 

Well, start surely is a regression from what we had in Windows 8.1. These are the things I'm missing:

- Horizontal scrolling, it just doesn't make sense to do this vertically

- Option to put more tiles side-by-side in one collumn

- Select multiple tiles at once

- Easy customization, the current Windows Phone-like way of changing tile behavior in Windows 10 is just no practical (or that is due to the bad performance)

dude this is the last version of WIndows. MS has many years to add these in. So nothing is missing. Those are just extras

I quite like those new icons on their own. I don't know how they match the UI exactly (see: icons on the taskbar and sys tray in the above image)

EDIT

congruent.jpg

These do not all match

Edited by Zagadka

dude this is the last version of WIndows. MS has many years to add these in. So nothing is missing. Those are just extras

If features are removed from version to version, that's what we call "missing".

• Like 3

If features are removed from version to version, that's what we call "missing".

How? We no longer have the same start screen as win8.1 Clearly the start menu is not the same thing we had in the previous OS. It functions different now 

My PS pro skills lol! wish they could be angled like this..or close to this lol

cQkMXxA.jpg

They're testing things out still, like the icons, they'll be more final the closer to RTM we get.  

I don't get what's wrong with scrolling vertically, vs horizontal, we've been scrolling vertically forever, it's what more people are used to doing compared to horizontal.  It's also a consistent behavior between desktop/tablet and mobile, there's no need to have phone/phablets and mini-tablets scrolling vertically and having bigger tablets/laptops and desktop scrolling horizontal.  Once you can add more columns to the start screen, say 3 or 4, depending on screen size, then you gain back more tiles on the screen, which is the only difference right now between old and new screen. 

Horizontal works surprisingly well on 8.1 tablets.