[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Horizontal works surprisingly well on 8.1 tablets.

Not doubting that it doesn't work, I have a 8.1 tablet and use it often but I'm also of the opinion that vertical works just as well.  The only knock on the new start screen right now is that it's limiting how many columns and tiles it shows compared to the 8.1 version, I think this could change with adding a 3rd or, if you're screen supports it, a 4th.

Also helps if they add tile folders like they have in WP8.1, then the need for scrolling is diminished greatly.

I don't get what's wrong with scrolling vertically, vs horizontal, we've been scrolling vertically forever, it's what more people are used to doing compared to horizontal.  It's also a consistent behavior between desktop/tablet and mobile, there's no need to have phone/phablets and mini-tablets scrolling vertically and having bigger tablets/laptops and desktop scrolling horizontal.  Once you can add more columns to the start screen, say 3 or 4, depending on screen size, then you gain back more tiles on the screen, which is the only difference right now between old and new screen. 

I like that the Metro apps are going to a vertical design. Does anyone else feel the desktop/tablet Start Screen should have a more center oriented design? Also, I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I kind of keep hoping the mobile Start Screen will have a vertical pages element. I know that's asking a lot. Also, I think it might be nice if the Windows Desktop Start Screen had an AutoFill option to prearrange tiles according to usage in three or four designated types? And I really want the Live Tiles and Tiles with System Info to be a part of the Start Screen/Start Menu.

This was posted the other day:

17371426574_b7c2966569_b.jpg

And I know this is crude, but here is a pic from Omnimo:

12277354696_6e1ddaf3e0_b.jpg

If you want indefinite columns, then you need a display with an indefinite horizontal resolution.  Since you can now place groupings within the columns, I don't see the problem (and oh so much more user friendly now).  Phones/minis have one, basic laptop gets two, 1080 gets three, 2k gets 4 and so on.

Horizontal scrolling is over.

Not if Insiders have anything to say about it. I'll keep fighting for it.

• Like 3

17371426574_b7c2966569_b.jpg

Now that's a damn nice Start Screen! If only Windows 10's looked anywhere near that... :crazy:

• Like 3

Now that's a damn nice Start Screen! If only Windows 10's looked anywhere near that... :crazy:

It looks terribly dated, it is all about moving forwards and not backwards......now who have i heard say that before?  :rolleyes:

It looks terribly dated, it is all about moving forwards and not backwards......now who have i heard say that before?  :rolleyes:

LOL There's nothing dated about it. Go away.

• Like 2

Video of build 10125:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0FxyRQ6G44

• Like 3

Yeah, but did they fix the pixelated icons on the Start Menu when you pin Desktop apps?

Yeah, but did they fix the pixelated icons on the Start Menu when you pin Desktop apps?

Yes it has been fixed, i saw a screen with Windows Office icons on it and they appear fine.

~

Yes it has been fixed, i saw a screen with Windows Office icons on it and they appear fine.

Thanks for the info Snoop!  That's good to hear.

~

Thanks for the info Snoop!  That's good to hear.

It sure is as it looked terrible, i really hope they get build 10125 out to us soon and don't make us wait a month! Atleast a build that we see the improved icons and start menu on.

The new start screen can, I'm thinking depending on your res and screen size, show up to 4 columns, it's not limited to the 2 you see in screenshots.  I just think they need to tweak the spacing better and it'll be fine in the end.

We might also need a bit more spacing if they're going to add tile folders to it, like WP, and also for later on when we get interactive live tiles, the extra space could be handy.

The in-place upgrade method for upgrading to newer builds via Windows Update is badly broken. I've tried several times to upgrade

to the latest build (10122) from the last one. It point blank refuses to complete the installation, rolls back, and displays an error.

If this the way Microsoft want testers to install new builds, and for regular users to get big system updates after RTM, the boffins

at Redmond have a LOT of work to do fix thius thing. At this stage, the feature should be working near-perfectly ... it isn't.

I think allowing a choice of a 2 or 4 (med) tile based column would be a good one.  They still need to save some space to pad All Apps and the tiles themselves as George mentions.  Any smaller and it can get way too busy.

The new icons are nicer, but I don't understand why Mirosoft just won't make them entirely flat.

The new icons are nicer, but I don't understand why Mirosoft just won't make them entirely flat.

I think MS is already moving away from "flat" the icons are just the first step...