[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Yes you can.. read my last paragraph. Gabe said you don't have to rollback...  unless you have a device that has 8.1 which you can reserve Windows 10 via reservation app.

To be clear:

Anyone who have a TP/preview build (no matter what build number you are on), upgrade to RTM without rollback to 8.x or 7.  Clean install anytime after upgrade.

Anyone who have Windows 7 or 8.x, you can reserve a copy of Windows 10 to be upgraded on 29th for free... after upgrade, you can do the clean install anytime.

Anyone who want to upgrade after July 29, 2016, you will have to buy a copy depends which edition you want.

Anyone upgraded before July 29, 2016, you get free updates for life on that device you use.

Understand now?

hmmm...could you run that by me again?  Slower this time...

:whistle:

• Like 2

hmmm...could you run that by me again?  Slower this time...

:whistle:

Sure... hold on..

[grabs a glass of water then walk up to you]

Want to hear that again?

No problem. Here you go:

[clear throat and pretend to drink but instead]

[splash the water at you then place the glass down on the table]

:p

Seeing as how I am on a clean 10 installation, how will MS know that I am upgrading from Windows 8.1? If everyone did it like me, could ANYONE just get it for free by clean installing a TP?

If you did a clean install you will have to stay in the Preview program to keep RTM activated. If you want to stop the Preview program then you will need to fresh load your previous Windows, activate it, then upgrade. 

That is my understanding.

If you did a clean install you will have to stay in the Preview program to keep RTM activated. If you want to stop the Preview program then you will need to fresh load your previous Windows, activate it, then upgrade. 

I don't think so. 

You can stop receiving the builds by going to the WU settings and turn off the insider builds. 

Too much work to wipe and install...   all you do is stop receiving the builds in build 10162 or newer.

For older builds such as 10158 or older, will require to wipe and install in order to leave the preview program because the button is disabled.

I don't think so. 

You can stop receiving the builds by going to the WU settings and turn off the insider builds. 

Too much work to wipe and install...   all you do is stop receiving the builds in build 10162 or newer.

For older builds such as 10158 or older, will require to wipe and install in order to leave the preview program because the button is disabled.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-turn-your-windows-10-insider-preview-windows-10-rtm

Seems to clear things up a little bit more.

Yeah that sounds right Xendrome. Those guys are poking fun at me for not understanding, but I don't know if they have it right. Otherwise, everyone regardless of whether or not they have a 7/8 license could get a free upgrade just by running the TP. My feeling was that sooner or later I will have clean install 8.1 and then wait for 10's release.

Firefox has that bug fixed in version 39 at least.

That's all because both browsers using some kind of UI hacks.

They both draw their own titlebars, fairly standard part of Windows (Office has been doing it since the mid 90s), but it quite sensitive to OS theme changes.

OS X does it right here, it handles drawing the window frame after the application has drawn its content, while on Windows it draws it before the application draws. So on Windows, applications can overlay the min/max/close buttons with their own contents (And need to leave a cutout for them, which if you get it wrong looks bad). But on OS X, no matter what a program draws, the system buttons take precedence, and draws over whatever the application draws (Al all the application needs to do is ensure it doesn't put any buttons there).

An OS is useless without a good out of the box experience.

Yes,pretty much.

the same old windows phones, windows 8.1 and now windows 10 excuse. "Don't worry change is coming"....."3 years down the line you we are still waiting for competent metro apps. Its time to cut the BS and get realistic. The modern apps have sooo much lacking and guess what? its not coming anytime soon. MS has a bad track record for a reason. Its the same reason consumers don't trust their brand. they fall short on all the most basic promises which fails to deliver basic experiences. Nothing new....

MS lost some Desktop users and is about to do the same with WP users,as much as Ubuntu Phone is here...

Phone isn't even close to done, you can't comment on something that's seen some minor tweaks done to it only.  Regardless the new apps are an improvement over the old hands down. 

Phone isn't even close to done, you can't comment on something that's seen some minor tweaks done to it only.  Regardless the new apps are an improvement over the old hands down. 

Maybe,but I've seen that the most of WP 8.1 users got stick with it rather more than using WP 10 Preview.

Maybe,but I've seen that the most of WP 8.1 users got stick with it rather more than using WP 10 Preview.

It's only logical since everything till the newest 10147 preview has been a buggy and unstable mess, why wouldn't you roll back to 8.1? 

10.0.10176.16384.th1.150705-0552

buildfeed.net/build/5440/

A candidate for RTM appears.

'th1' could be the branch for RTM candidates. Notice that "16384" instead of "0" at the end of build number, which is a strong evidence of it's being a RTM candidate.

Also, Build number 10176 is multiple of 16. So, it could be the RTM gold.

• Like 2

What's even less logical to me is why,since I suggested the same actions, (an eventually rollback to a RTM they had) with the Desktop version,everybody seemed to want me dead. :laugh:

So you can't pin Chrome web apps to the taskbar in windows 10.

is this chrome or windows fault ? annoying since I use chrome webapp as my facebook app, since the windows app forces me to do stuff in ways I don't want to, like annoying news feeds instead of latest. and IE(edge, though I'm not sure if edge can pin yet) had issues with Facebook where after a while it would freeze and/or start using massive amounts of CPU due to the very script heavy facebook page. 

Could Microsoft buy Grove and get rid of Xbox Music?

Hint: it's a more than just possibility:

http://www.windowscentral.com/what-groove-music-pass-and-what-does-it-have-do-xbox-music

https://www.neowin.net/news/another-one-of-nadellas-tough-choices-may-involve-xbox-music?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

http://www.groovemusicapp.com/

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Did anyone else notice the new music logo kinda sorta looks like a "G" ?

search.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds right Xendrome. Those guys are poking fun at me for not understanding, but I don't know if they have it right. Otherwise, everyone regardless of whether or not they have a 7/8 license could get a free upgrade just by running the TP. My feeling was that sooner or later I will have clean install 8.1 and then wait for 10's release.

My apologies if you thought I was poking fun at you.  I was actually teasing Shozilla. 

My apologies if you thought I was poking fun at you.  I was actually teasing Shozilla. 

All good. I know I was annoying not getting it, and I still don't to be honest. I have a clean install of 10162 and is MS lets me get a free upgrade that way then great. However, I was almost positive that I would have to be running 8.1 in order to be validated for the free upgrade. Otherwise, anyone and everyone could just clean install a TP and then get the free upgrade.

All good. I know I was annoying not getting it, and I still don't to be honest. I have a clean install of 10162 and is MS lets me get a free upgrade that way then great. However, I was almost positive that I would have to be running 8.1 in order to be validated for the free upgrade. Otherwise, anyone and everyone could just clean install a TP and then get the free upgrade.

I think there is still a lot of confusion to be honest.   I was running 10162 on my laptop and went back to my licensed 8.1 and have Win 10 reserved.  Reserved for my desktop also.  I played with 10 and liked it, now I'll just wait till July 29th and see what happens.  :)

A ''news'' on the web said that Windows 10 will come as RTM,this week,can this be true?

Wzor said July9th, but s/he could always be wrong!