[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Another reason, Windows 10 will be popular choice for new generation PC.

We have a pretty huge leak today with lots of new details on Intel

Nha, concidering that Microsoft compiles 5 builds every week, we have only 80 builds to go before hitting 10 000. That's 20 weeks, 4 months. Mid-May they will get to 10 000. For a RTM date in the summer... They are going to go beyond 10 000. I wonder if the old build-rules are still in place. With a faster update cycle and them updating now through new  builds, one would think that they no longer have to jump to a number devidable by 16 for every public release.

They have skipped and gone back on build number for final before. 

What is there to expect from Windows 10 Mobile? Do we have more information about it? I'm curious if it's Windows RT with a makeover for Windows Phones.

I'm just curious what it will lean more towards. Windows RT style or WP8.1 style.

Because they're totally different shell designs with only a few similarities.

Will this be as big as the unveiling of WP7?

Another reason, Windows 10 will be popular choice for new generation PC.

Little mistake on author part here, it could be due to translation error from original source but with Intel it makes more sense IMO.

Article: http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remove-support-usb-based-windows-7-installation-platform-specs/

And what, pray tell, is different installing 7 via USB compared to any later version?

I have been installing every version of Windows back to and including 7 from USB for two reasons - better performance than optical media and far easier to tote around.  (I use USB 2.0-rated sticks because they are cross-compatible with all but the most nitpicky of USB ports, and thus, said sticks are usable with any target.  It is, indeed, no harder using USB 2.0 ports than 1.1 - if they are present, that's what I use, and there is no reason for them NOT to be present, as USB 2.0 support, merely on Intel's chipsets, predates the CSM stumblebum that is G31 (Bear Lake) - which goes back to XP.)

What Intel is actually doing in terms of Skylake support is walling off the known already-EOL Microsoft OSes from being installed on any system with a Skylake-capable chipset - basically, 7 or lower.  Downright sensible thing for Intel to do - and it's not the first time they have done so.  (That CAN be end-run - primarily via virtualization.)

What is there to expect from Windows 10 Mobile? Do we have more information about it? I'm curious if it's Windows RT with a makeover for Windows Phones.

I'm just curious what it will lean more towards. Windows RT style or WP8.1 style.

Because they're totally different shell designs with only a few similarities.

Will this be as big as the unveiling of WP7?

Not much info really, just that MS is planning a similar insider program for Windows 10 Mobile. They'll probably reveal more on the 21st. 

I expect that the mobile UI will be a mix of RT and Phone, we should see things from both coming together.

They have skipped and gone back on build number for final before.

They can't do that (atleast since post-XP). The build number can't go down anymore. As far as I remember, it never was possible in the first place. When did they skip and go back?

I expect that the mobile UI will be a mix of RT and Phone, we should see things from both coming together.

The only wish I have for the startscreen tiles is a new high format (the wide tile on its side) and the Windows Phone grid. Continuum seems to support both of these things, so I think I've got nothing else left out anymore. I'm happy.

They can't do that (atleast since post-XP). The build number can't go down anymore. As far as I remember, it never was possible in the first place. When did they skip and go back?

The only wish I have for the startscreen tiles is a new high format (the wide tile on its side) and the Windows Phone grid. Continuum seems to support both of these things, so I think I've got nothing else left out anymore. I'm happy.

I believe they did it with either 7, 8 or 8.1 I know it's one of those where they saved the build number they wanted and went back to it. 

Nha, concidering that Microsoft compiles 5 builds every week, we have only 80 builds to go before hitting 10 000. That's 20 weeks, 4 months. Mid-May they will get to 10 000. For a RTM date in the summer... They are going to go beyond 10 000. I wonder if the old build-rules are still in place. With a faster update cycle and them updating now through new  builds, one would think that they no longer have to jump to a number devidable by 16 for every public release.

Correct, I did that math also, but I still believe they won't go much over 10000.

Also on the subject of 16: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj663498.aspx

You cannot divide 10100/10200/10300/10500/10600/10700/10900 by 16.

Taking into consideration that we will most likely see Windows 10.1,10.2,10,3 etc... 10400 and 10800 are most likely not enough. I assume the 16 rule is gone by now...

7Hk6on2.jpg

Am I the only one seeing no Windows update options in 9901?

I get notifications when I boot saying there are updates available but get that screen when I visit Windows update. 

7Hk6on2.jpg

Am I the only one seeing no Windows update options in 9901?

I get notifications when I boot saying there are updates available but get that screen when I visit Windows update. 

9901 has updates flat-out broken.

9901 has updates flat-out broken.

True, Gabriel Newall says this build is "outside of flighting" (meaning updates) but I didn't know he also meant Windows Update.

oh damn okay thanks fellas. 
Was strange it worked fine when I first installed it but only been happening the last couple of days. Weird :/

I believe they did it with either 7, 8 or 8.1 I know it's one of those where they saved the build number they wanted and went back to it. 

Non of these did that. 7's RC was 7100, the RTM was 7600. 8's RC was 8400, RTM was 9200, 8.1's RTM was 9477 (or something, not sure about it) and RTM was 9600. As far as I know, they never did that before because they simply can't do that.

I really hope they depreciate all that old stuff still in Windows if modern apps are supposed to replace all their desktop apps. Like we still have all this stuff lying around. And everything else just needs revamped in design.

I wouldn't mind it if they made a good attempt with Windows 10 and then as newer builds were released, worked on it more and more. Instead of making a sad attempt and then forgetting about it.

When will we see changes to desktop apps and actual changes in Windows besides cosmetics? Underneath its the exact same OS as Win 7/8. Where is the 'building Windows 10' blog with details of actual engineering changes?

Non of these did that. 7's RC was 7100, the RTM was 7600. 8's RC was 8400, RTM was 9200, 8.1's RTM was 9477 (or something, not sure about it) and RTM was 9600. As far as I know, they never did that before because they simply can't do that.

They could go for Build 11111 for the final release :rofl:

Maybe after Build 9999 they'll start over with Build 1, 2, 3, etc. and the RTM will be Build 10.

It's a new Windows, might as well have new build numbers.

Maybe after Build 9999 they'll start over with Build 1, 2, 3, etc. and the RTM will be Build 10.

It's a new Windows, might as well have new build numbers.

You mean, they'll have a stack overflow after 9999, making them restart at 1 again? :rofl:

They could also use fractions to avoid that: 9999.1, 9999.2, 9999.3...

So I had to reinstall the initial Win10 build, 9841, and now I can't seem to upgrade it to any later build. Run Windows Update, nothing, run Preview Builds, nothing, I forgot how the process works. Can I still upgrade to whatever the latest build is?

So I had to reinstall the initial Win10 build, 9841, and now I can't seem to upgrade it to any later build. Run Windows Update, nothing, run Preview Builds, nothing, I forgot how the process works. Can I still upgrade to whatever the latest build is?

Download Windows 10 TP at Microsoft website ... the latest version is 9879.

You will have to wait until 21st for the event about Windows 10 and new version details and download.

You mean, they'll have a stack overflow after 9999, making them restart at 1 again? :rofl:

They could also use fractions to avoid that: 9999.1, 9999.2, 9999.3...

That doesn't really work that way. :p You're way off. The closest one is 65535.