[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Yes. I installed it other day..

Cool, thanks. I'm not sure what happened with my VM, it just never was able to install the various build updates Microsoft released, so I had to keep doing fresh installs. Hopefully updates will go more smoothly for me with the upcoming 01/21 build.

Cool, thanks. I'm not sure what happened with my VM, it just never was able to install the various build updates Microsoft released, so I had to keep doing fresh installs. Hopefully updates will go more smoothly for me with the upcoming 01/21 build.

If you are talking about 9901 or whatever that you have seen on the news articles, those are leaked version, not insider program or from the Microsoft's official website which means those versions are not final or official.

If you are talking about 9901 or whatever that you have seen on the news articles, those are leaked version, not insider program or from the Microsoft's official website which means those versions are not final or official.

Nope, I'm talking about build 9841, the original Win10 build released. It always ran into trouble upgrading to the newer builds, and at some point, got completely messed up and I've had to do a clean install on three occasions. So I'm going to install whatever the latest build is via ISO and see if the upgrade procedure has been fixed for me.

Nope, I'm talking about build 9841, the original Win10 build released. It always ran into trouble upgrading to the newer builds, and at some point, got completely messed up and I've had to do a clean install on three occasions. So I'm going to install whatever the latest build is via ISO and see if the upgrade procedure has been fixed for me.

You mean upgrading from 9841 to the next version of Windows?

It would be better if you do the clean installation instead of upgrading.

If you are using VM for Windows 10 testing, then you can delete the Windows 10 partition and clean installation Windows 10 (new version) in that place.

You mean upgrading from 9841 to the next version of Windows?

It would be better if you do the clean installation instead of upgrading.

If you are using VM for Windows 10 testing, then you can delete the Windows 10 partition and clean installation Windows 10 (new version) in that place.

That's what I ended up doing, I'm putting the latest build onto a VM. Although I was trying to do an upgrade to see how it worked, although I guess the answer is "not very well."

Strange, I just finished installing that ISO that was linked to on Microsoft's site and it's still build 9841. Not having luck with Win10. I'll probably just wait for the next build released after the press event on the 21st.

Strange, I just finished installing that ISO that was linked to on Microsoft's site and it's still build 9841. Not having luck with Win10. I'll probably just wait for the next build released after the press event on the 21st.

Are you in the insider program? If not, you probably got the public version which it came out early before the Insider program started.

If you are, you will need to sign in with your MS account and DL the 9879 build.

Are you in the insider program? If not, you probably got the public version which it came out early before the Insider program started.

If you are, you will need to sign in with your MS account and DL the 9879 build.

I've been an Insider since the start, is there a direct link to the correct ISO?

That's what I expected. I surely hope they will just go on with the Internet Explorer brand. I think all the things about IE and Spartan being a different browser is just caused due to the fact that we haven't seen a codename for IE in a long time (IE4 was the last IE with a codename for as far as we know) and the fact that this is a very big update to IE, beyond what we've seen before. Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever Microsoft shows us at the browser side. It has been 1,5 years since Microsoft unveiled IE11, we're up for something new! :)

From all this talk I really think MS just pulled a Google but with trident instead of webkit. What I mean is, when Google forked webkit and started blink it did so on the basis that there was a good chunk of left over legacy code/support in that they didn't need, and dropped with blink.

It sounds to me that the Spartan fork of trident is doing the exact same thing, dumping the old stuff, probably from IE8 and older, though keeping the old engine in Windows for those that need it.

Real or not, we already know that we're getting the same OS on phones and tablets, so the UI will match and be a mix of the two. The backgrounds we get on 8.1 with grouping and the transparent live tiles we see on Xbox One and WP8.1 plus I'm betting tile folders from phone.

All of that rolled into one with some rumored new things, we'll know in 4 days.

What do you need tile grouping on the home screen for? Possibly for "All apps" as well as the A-Z option, but it just doesn't seem all that handy to me :s

In fact I don't even use it on the 8.1 Start screen, I know what the app is from the title and icon, I don't need a group title lol.

What do you need tile grouping on the home screen for? Possibly for "All apps" as well as the A-Z option, but it just doesn't seem all that handy to me :s

In fact I don't even use it on the 8.1 Start screen, I know what the app is from the title and icon, I don't need a group title lol.

For me, having all the tiles grouped together in one large mass is rather 'messy'. Being able to sort the tiles into categories cleans up the screen a bit. (Y)

That loos pretty ugly if you ask me. And tile grouping is nice on Windows 8.1, but useless on the Start Screen of a phone. I don't like it.

That loos pretty ugly if you ask me. And tile grouping is nice on Windows 8.1, but useless on the Start Screen of a phone. I don't like it.

I don't feel like I would use it either but I don't see the harm of having it as an option for some that would. I lean heavily on it with my laptop because I use a substantial amount of programs for work. Organizing everything in groups by task, to me, makes the start screen a much more effective launcher than the start menu.

However, on a phone, there just isn't that many applications that I would use. For the rarely activated applications I find the "folder grouping" option as sufficient. BUT some people use their phones more as multi-tools than I do. For those people on larger phones I could see some value in it even if I don't see myself using it.

Then there's always the consistency of the UI between devices. Although you would use features more often on specific form factors, having those features exist in the same fashion across the board will make everything flow a bit better.

Some screenshots of (supposedly) Windows Phone 10 are floating around on the web, showing start screen backgrounds and categories.

3a4e23118a.jpg

It is fake:

http://www.windowscentral.com/psa-those-windows-10-phone-images-are-not-real

Spartan is not IE 12, IE is dead according to well known reporters like MJF, Thurrott, and Brad. The first lines in the article are bait, hook line and sinker. The "no it will not" parts.