[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

well after using Win 10 TP 9726, I consider myself a man of character. I can admit when I'm wrong. I teach my kids admitting you're wrong isn't a sign of weakness rather an act of integrity and character. that being said, I'm approaching and analyzing Win 10 TP 9726 from a gamers perspective. I have a thread about my thoughts HERE (note* I'm analyzing this TP from a gamers aspect).

aside from gaming, I like the new start menu. it expands and I can scroll down rather than have a huge monolith menu cover obsessive screen real estate. My ONLY caveat is the control panel is somewhat hidden and I had to search around for it. but I did pin it to my taskbar for easier access.cortana is cool for me to open up websites or search for websites as I need. I'm analyzing this for my family because my wife said she didn't care for the extra stuff like cortana, she's not technically inclined but I told her I'm testing this from a gamers point of view.

I'm guessing DX 12 is inside the OS and is it the final version? or will it see subtle improvements before RTM?

for gamers: switching from desktop back to in game when you do the CTRL+TAB, and go back to the game? it was fast no lag or borken record sounds before it catches up. THAT will win over gamers I hope.

Control Panel is hidden for a reason. There isn't anything in there that shouldn't be in the Modern Settings panel now.

Is there any way to resize the start menu in this build?! I unpinned every crap there and it takes half of my screen. :s

I don't have it installed and haven't tried, but from every post I've read, just grab a corner or edge and drag...

I don't have it installed and haven't tried, but from every post I've read, just grab a corner or edge and drag...

That worked up until now. This is the so called Continuum Start "Menu" / Screen, mostly rewritten in XAML.

A direct citation from Windows.com's latest blog post regarding it:

"New Start menu: You

• Like 2

This shows you a case of adding in something people wanted that breaks something else.

Users wanted the ability to click and expand the start menu at any time by just clicking the button. It seems that in order to get that to work they had to rewrite the whole menu in XAML, that means the stuff that was possible before isn't, in this build anyways.

They're going to add that all back in, the blog post says it, just have to wait now.

That worked up until now. This is the so called Continuum Start "Menu" / Screen, mostly rewritten in XAML.

Control Panel is hidden for a reason. There isn't anything in there that shouldn't be in the Modern Settings panel now.

ah ok, no biggie then. just simply pin it to the taskbar. the folder looking thingy next to IE. I do enjoy the icons in file explorer. they aren't over bearing.

Still a beta, you can still access the old store.

And the PowerShell prompt has actually appeared (something that every previous preview - including the leaks - lacked) - yay!

Now if only they can start DOCUMENTING it for us desktop fans.

Unfortunately, my daily game (DC Universe Online) STILL has issues (it won't connect to the SOE servers still), so I submitted another compatibility-failure report.  (The somewhat weird thing is that the same game runs natively in 8.x with no issues at all.)

No network. :(

Rollback time.

I liked the new UI icons. I miss the Start Screen as a full screen not a expanded Start Menu.

That happened to me too, after several attempts to repair/trouble shoot the connection it finally did connect to my wireless network first, then after reboot Ethernet worked too, this happened however after taking the update available from Windows update.

Installed the TP/CP build 9926 released few hrs back.

Few observations

1. Clicking on File Explorer, the Quick Access in the left pane is annoying in 5 minutes of use. It keeps on auto pinning any folder I open. Privacy goes down the drain. 

2. Now there are a. Libraries b. Folders c. Quick Access which show same folders over and over, increasing the list in left pane of File Explorer. Idiotic. Microsoft needs to consolidate it into one concept. Either have one of the three.

3. Modern based and Classic apps have different Window border size and currently give a fake impression of cohesiveness.

4. Fresh install setup UI is same. (Wonder when will they actually update to add polish)

5. Few new icons here and there and they are ok. Microsoft needs to do better here.

6. The notifications from notification centre are annoying and in your face. They need to be more subtle.

7. Logging into windows using simple 4 digit pin does not work.

Overall, Microsoft as always have made all the changes which just annoy me. I am of opinion that Cortana with 40% recognition accuracy for my accent has zero use for me and is not yet ready (or required) for desktop use.

Uninstalling. 

Will try again after 2 months to see how consistency and features are shaping up.

From the looks of it, also new minimize / maximize / close buttons, and the title moved flush left, and is smaller. 

Regarding the new title bar widgets, do they seem too high up to anyone else, in relation to the title bar text? Maybe it's because there's no colored background surrounding them like in previous Windows releases, but the placement just looks a bit odd to me, like they should be lowered by a few pixels. They also don't seem to change in size when the title bar text size is altered, something that occurred in older Windows versions. So if you have, 8pt font, the widgets just seem huge.

Also, may have been mentioned, but are all the modern windows stuck with an off-white chrome color? Because they are for me, regardless of what chrome color I set through Personalization.

1:Just like the older builds you can disable the auto pinning\privacy. Under task bar and start menu properties.

2: IMO it's fine.  libieries is off by default.

:Untitled_1.jpg

3: the boarder size is the same, the icons are a little bit bigger on the universal apps.

4: Install UI should be the last thing they focus on...

6: Notification is just a small square pop up on the bottom right corner.

7: Might as well use auto login if you going to have a simple 4 pin password.

Anybody have the Xbox One TV tuner? Does SmartGlass keep playing audio when windowed, but not the currently selected window?