[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

The new store is in it's basic form, it's missing things for sure. As with other things, it's a waiting game, waiting for newer versions.

One thing they have to do IMO is take the taskbar and folder options dialog windows and just put all of that into settings. I don't understand why these things have their settings split off from the rest of the OS.

Seems to be working fine for me. My only complaint is that MS is going backwards with the UI. I don't see anything appealing about the single color title bars and simple controls displayed with no button. Why did they take such a pleasing look from Windows 7 and ditch it? Also the icons look terrible, like they belong in Windows 95. I think a certain amount of visual flare in the OS makes it much more fun to use. I liked the Windows 7 window controls with their button look and glow. I'm not sure why people think it's a step forward to take a good looking OS and scrap it and come up with a flat monochrome design. Why would they take away from such nice looking effects like actual buttons on the title bar, translucency, etc?

331ocjm.jpg

Seems to be working fine for me. My only complaint is that MS is going backwards with the UI. I don't see anything appealing about the single color title bars and simple controls displayed with no button. Why did they take such a pleasing look from Windows 7 and ditch it? Also the icons look terrible, like they belong in Windows 95. I think a certain amount of visual flare in the OS makes it much more fun to use. I liked the Windows 7 window controls with their button look and glow. I'm not sure why people think it's a step forward to take a good looking OS and scrap it and come up with a flat monochrome design. Why would they take away from such nice looking effects like actual buttons on the title bar, translucency, etc?

331ocjm.jpg

that comparison makes it so clear why glass was killed, windows 10 looks so much better.

Windows 7 was good and no denying in that but I think its time to move forward and embrace Windows 10, though little less sharp icons + more control over customization like bringing back search in Start Menu and disable from taskbar would be great..

Installing latest build in VM, will test IE and try to find anything I can new they added.

The Windows 7 screenshot exemplifies why the 'modern' thinking came about.  The visual elements of that UI are busily competing (visually) with the real-world information present in the text and photos of actual things.   The glass chrome was pitched as lightening the UI so the user is focused on the content.  IMO it does the opposite.

Opinions obviously differ, but the 'Metro' ethos is sound and seems much better based thinking.  Imagine if real-world transits signs were all on translucent glossy tinted surfaces - :cry:

Can anyone figure out how to add shortcuts to places on the start menu, it has three items, documents, file explorer and settings but I can't see how to remove or add things from there

Thank you - worked perfectly! Feel like an idiot for not trying it myself.

Also, seems to persist between sessions (tried logging out and back in).  Time will tell if it stay there.

It wasn't removed per say, it was just reallocated. Try Settings -> System -> Notifications & actions -> Select which icons appear on the desktop.

Can anyone figure out how to add shortcuts to places on the start menu, it has three items, documents, file explorer and settings but I can't see how to remove or add things from there

Not currently implemented into the new Start system. Will be added in future updates.

At least this got fixed in latest Build, its goof up bug in Windows 8.1 (Deletion dialog is disabled by default and once can witness this only through Shift+Delete or enabling confirmation dialog).

Bug details - http://www.askvg.com/windows-8-1-bug-icons-look-distorted-in-delete-confirmation-dialog-box-and-send-to-menu/

- Notice large folder icon having black pixel around it on Windows 8.1.

O1HdU2i.png

The Vista UI/UX (and, to a lesser extent, the 7 UI/UX) was graphically taxing - great for desktops, and especially midrange and higher desktops, but lousy for lower-end desktops, laptops, and notebooks (it ate ergs like Reese's Pieces - not a good thing if you compute on the move).  OS X had the same issue with MacBooks; hence that UI going more graphically flat.  As I have said before, my wake-up call was getting a notebook myself - it woke me up to the woes that all portable users go through, especially those related to battery life.

The Vista UI/UX (and, to a lesser extent, the 7 UI/UX) was graphically taxing - great for desktops, and especially midrange and higher desktops, but lousy for lower-end desktops, laptops, and notebooks (it ate ergs like Reese's Pieces - not a good thing if you compute on the move).  OS X had the same issue with MacBooks; hence that UI going more graphically flat.   

(Once again,) no. For whatever reason OS X went 'more graphically flat' it had absolutely nothing to do with performance. In general, a 'flatter' UI isn't necessarily less graphically taxing. Specifically in the case of Yosemite it is more graphically taxing due to the new translucency effects they introduced (which, albeit optional, are enabled by default). 

The search bar in the taskbar can be disabled and the search bar reappears when you press start. So whoever was complaining about that, no need to. Its has already been rectified.

Even still, when you press Start, Search is awkwardly placed - It covers the All Apps link when you first click open Start.

Even still, when you press Start, Search is awkwardly placed - It covers the All Apps link when you first click open Start.

So you have to wait a second and it goes down to the taskbar and u can see the all apps list. It's unfinished software. Not a big deal

What the he** did they do to the Start Screen?  Everything is crammed into a tiny bar on the left? Why not take advantage of all the space in a modern monitor? This is just the worst elements of the 1995-era menu plastered full-screen!

The Start Menu stretched full-screen does not make it a proper Start Screen! Why do they have to destroy one to give back the other?

What the he** did they do to the Start Screen?  Everything is crammed into a tiny bar on the left? Why not take advantage of all the space in a modern monitor? This is just the worst elements of the 1995-era menu plastered full-screen!

BUT, WE WANTS START MENU!

The Start Menu stretched full-screen does not make it a proper Start Screen! Why do they have to destroy one to give back the other?

You have 2 options to choose one from..  you can use either start menu while being on the desktop... or you can have full start screen.  If you want full screen, then you can keep that way.

Which you see the 4 arrows in upper right corner on the start menu on Warwagon's screenshot.

Rewriting the "menu" was done, I'm guessing, so that it's the same code between desktop and all the way down to phone. Things missing well be added back, just wait.

BUT, WE WANTS START MENU!

Not everyone. This is what I've always been afraid off - a fully retrograde design being forced on everyone, rather than a genuine choice. If Microsoft was able to give us both the Menu and Screen in earlier builds, why are they screwing us over now by trying to pass a full-screen version of the Menu off as the Screen?

You have 2 options to choose one from..  you can use either start menu while being on the desktop... or you can have full start screen.  If you want full screen, then you can keep that way.

Which you see the 4 arrows in upper right corner on the start menu on Warwagon's screenshot.

That's not the Start Screen - that's the Menu made full-screen. I want the intelligent use of space 8 gave us, not All Apps crammed in the corner! We don't have 640x480 screens anymore, so economy of space - packing everything in like sardines - is completely unnecessary!

• Like 3

That's not the Start Screen - that's the Menu made full-screen. I want the intelligent use of space 8 gave us, not All Apps crammed in the corner! We don't have 640x480 screens anymore, so economy of space - packing everything in like sardines - is completely unnecessary!

I do think the Desktop/Files UI in the Start Menu/Start Screen should be a tile like everything else that you should be able to unpin.

Not everyone. This is what I've always been afraid off - a fully retrograde design being forced on everyone, rather than a genuine choice. If Microsoft was able to give us both the Menu and Screen in earlier builds, why are they screwing us over now by trying to pass a full-screen version of the Menu off as the Screen?

Well, I am sorry..  if you don't like that, you might want to go back to Windows 8 for the time being.

Or just wait until third party developers will create better way to add all apps...   just like they did in the past versions of Windows since '95.

You might want to replace the menu with classic shell if you want.