Fix : Windows 10 accessing network drives : Password incorrect

The workgroup comment was a joke to how bad the info in this thread is..  You don't have to use computername\user to access shares..  Not sure what the original poster was doing or thinking or what everyone else that chimed in saying that fixed it was doing..

But windows does not use that info as I clearly showed by putting in whatever for a domain and authing just fine, etc..

I would love to be shown wrong -- if there is a local account billy, with password as the password and you send just billy and password or something\billy and password does not matter.  Now if machine your authing to is part of a domain, and it has local accounts billy and domain accounts billy your going to need to specify which one.

• Like 1

On 30.06.2015 21:40:13, warwagon said:

I ran into an issue that was driving me nuts after installing Windows 10 on 2 computers. I could not access any of my network drives from either of those machines. It kept telling me my password was incorrect, but it wasn't. But I would go to a Windows 8 or Windows 7 machine, enter the username and password and it would connect first try.

Normally when you connect to a network drive it prompts you for your username and your password.

On windows 10 in the username box instead of entering just the username enter the computer name plus the username.

Example.

computername\owner  (Do not put \\computername ... that will not work so leave the \\ off)

Now enter the password and you should be able to access the network share just fine.

Hope this helps anyone else that was pulling their hair put.

Thank you very much friend. I solved our network problem at office thanks to your answer. I signed in forum just to thank you. Thanks!

On 12/15/2015, 2:12:55, cell-chouk said:

Thank you very much friend. I solved our network problem at office thanks to your answer. I signed in forum just to thank you. Thanks!

Warwags did you sign up another account and thank yourself? common fess up :p 

5 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

Warwags did you sign up another account and thank yourself? common fess up :p 

Actually that would have to be "Accounts" ... more than 1 account, because there have been a lot of 1 post wonders thanking me! But no I didn't! People just found that helpful :D

I count about 8 people joined just for this thread :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Actually that would have to be "Accounts" ... more than 1 account, because there have been a lot of 1 post wonders thanking me! But no I didn't! People just found that helpful :D

but you're making people type to much lil pal, all they need is .\username you've now got all these kids typing out long computer names unnecessarily lol. And what happens if you can't find the computer name haha.

6 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

but you're making people type to much lil pal, all they need is .\username you've now got all these kids typing out long computer names unnecessarily lol. And what happens if you can't find the computer name haha.

Fair point lol . is localhost

20 minutes ago, Mando said:

Fair point lol . is localhost

Warwags is just trying to get people to use their keyboards more so he can sell them a new one because they'll wear out quicker with more use ;)

It's a great tactic! Very cleaver :p 

"I count about 8 people joined just for this thread"

People joining for FUD... Who would of thunk it...  Lets start creating threads about FREE this and Free that, and will get lots of google traffic and people joining ;)

While your intentions seem to be genuine, but the information is not correct... Windows that is not a member of a domain does not give 2 ###### to what anything other than the username and password is.. Now maybe there is something going on when trying to use MS accounts...  But if that is the case that should be spelled out, since saying you need to use domain\username to access shares to machines that are not members of a domain is just not correct..  Plain and simple so as this thread is currently going its just a bunch of FUD... That yeah quite often draws users ;)

24 minutes ago, BudMan said:

"I count about 8 people joined just for this thread"

People joining for FUD... Who would of thunk it...  Lets start creating threads about FREE this and Free that, and will get lots of google traffic and people joining ;)

While your intentions seem to be genuine, but the information is not correct... Windows that is not a member of a domain does not give 2 ###### to what anything other than the username and password is.. Now maybe there is something going on when trying to use MS accounts...  But if that is the case that should be spelled out, since saying you need to use domain\username to access shares to machines that are not members of a domain is just not correct..  Plain and simple so as this thread is currently going its just a bunch of FUD... That yeah quite often draws users ;)

You sound really bitter. When people make up their minds with stuff like this, you will not change it. 

duty_calls.png

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread has solved my problem. I found it hard to follow but managed to fudge my was through.

My problem -I could no longer access my linkstation shares after upgrading to win10.

The help given here was kind-of giving me hope but I would not get a user password authentication prompt when following instructions just a not=authorised error.

A comment within this thread somewhere (struggling to find it now) about the authentication not being able to distinguish between local and windows live accounts was a breakthrough. I went onto my linkstation admin page. Changed the user name of the linkstation local account to something different from my windows live account id. When I tried to access share from the explorer again I was this time asked for a username and password and gained access.

(I used the NAS name as a domain but understand from this thread is doesn't matter. I mistakenly put \\ in front of the domain name in the authentication box at first - that didn't work)

Thanks for getting me there. I have been without share access for months!

Michael

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • EmuZombie locked this topic