[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 (Build 10.0.10240) discussion & upgrade experience

Well unless I made the iso wrong, I can upgrade any version of windows I have and I will get the generic key that ends in 3V66T, and while I can do a clean install with it, I cant activate Windows, I will wait till the 29th and see what happens

Welcome to RTM where with WHQL drivers the cursor doesnt even work.

If Microsoft and its partners cant get the cursor to work on the release version THIS IS GOING TO BE BAD.

It's not going public for 2 weeks, plenty of time to remedy this.

This will turn them off in File Explorer. It won't turn them off in jump lists. And it won't turn of history at all.

You can remove, but you can't add. And many apps will never pop up in frequently used despite being most frequently used. And there are just 6. In Windows XP-7 you could change it.

It's messy. A mess of apps, folders and letters in a very small window. It shouldn't have any letters and folders should be grouped below of apps. It also should utilize full Start width in both desktop and tablet modes.

Jump list frequent files are turned off in settings, just search for jumplist. 

Of course there shouldn't be touch UI in desktop mode. Controls and font should be twice smaller.

Different action center GUI wouldn't make sense. it works great for both touch and mouse. so why make an entirely different GUI for desktop for... no reason other than "different"...

Both. Right click doesn't work. Pointing at small cross isn't really convenient. Swipes are often good on desktop as well, but not this time.

So as size. Should be same size like networking pane. And should look like systray popup.

I do get a right click action?  I agree on the sizing of the exit and expand buttons.  Heh, I forgot that mice could do the swipe there.  Good call.

Well unless I made the iso wrong, I can upgrade any version of windows I have and I will get the generic key that ends in 3V66T, and while I can do a clean install with it, I cant activate Windows, I will wait till the 29th and see what happens

What if you try a different Insider account to sign-up and activate with?

What about those of us that are in the Insider preview? Should we post here or in that thread?

This is the "Official' thread for Windows 10. Hope this makes it out to the general public so people will know exactly where to go ;)

How dare they force us to wait to do clean installs!!! /s jk :p

The real question is...Will they provide Insiders new procedures to activate their RTM on any other new devices? (just formatted HDD,that has never used Windows before)

The real question is...Will they provide Insiders new procedures to activate their RTM on any other new devices? (just formatted HDD,that has never used Windows before)

Always thought MS allowed you to transfer Windows Licence to another PC as long as it's only on one PC at a time

Just do a system refresh?

Would prefer a fresh install, I can wait till the 29th to see what happens then, if i have to upgrade all my machines and refresh them that is what I will have to do, but seeing as even MS are going to supply an ISO I will wait for that

Apologies If this has already been asked before..but I have Windows 8.1 retail keys for both my Desktop and Laptop, should I clean install Windows 8.1 on both of them and then activating them using my keys and then install Windows 10 build 1024 (built ISO from en-gb esd file) over the top of my activated Windows 8.1 activation?

Will I remain activated? 

(Im currently running Windows 10 build 1024 on both of them - upgraded using WU on the previous Windows 10 build)

Thanks in advance

Does anyone have their Windows 10 Pro x64 .esd from the en-gb edition?

If so do you mind sharing? I've upgraded but would like to make an ISO so i can clean install.

If so do you mind sharing? I've upgraded but would like to make an ISO so i can clean install.

Have you checked the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\ folder to see if Install.esd is still there from your upgrade?

Have you checked the C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\ folder to see if Install.esd is still there from your upgrade?

I have, unfortunately no esd exists. From what i've read you need to have saved it before upgrading.

I have, unfortunately no esd exists. From what i've read you need to have saved it before upgrading.

Mine is still there after completing the upgrade yesterday... It isn't supposed to get deleted until after 30 days or if you removed it with cleanmgr.

Hi there!

Recently, I've upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro with Update (activated with DreamSpark key) to the Windows 10 Build 10162 and then to the latest Build 10240.

Now, I want to do PC reset. To complete that, I'll need a installation media, so I've already downloaded ESD of Build 10240 and converted to ISO.

Will my PC stay activated after the reset? Will my PC stay activated when I upgrade to RTM and do clean install via ISO when it's available?

Thanks.

So one issue I noticed, my Mail notification on the lock screen is showing (1) unread message. Yet none of my 2 accounts have unread messages.

This just started as of RTM any ideas how to clear it?

Would prefer a fresh install, I can wait till the 29th to see what happens then, if i have to upgrade all my machines and refresh them that is what I will have to do, but seeing as even MS are going to supply an ISO I will wait for that

A refresh is a fresh install. Just so you know.

Well i prefer to do my fresh installs from the install medium, and I will wait till MS releases the ISO, I just find it better and have had less issues with doing it that way, have never liked upgrading from one OS to another

One less step :laugh:

Getting stuck in my ways at my old age :)

So one issue I noticed, my Mail notification on the lock screen is showing (1) unread message. Yet none of my 2 accounts have unread messages.

This just started as of RTM any ideas how to clear it?

This is happening to me too.

hello everyone, updated yesterday and flawlessly.. though im still havig serious problems with corsair link sofware but most of the problems regarding drivers from creative for soundblaster ZxR are fixed i think, the creative auto update soft still not working :)

In regards to my earlier post someone sorted me out with a link to the esd on the Microsoft Servers: Windows 10 Pro (Build 10240) x64 EN-GB ESD

SHA1: a626d24601cb35f513c09cc43131d41b865c3109

Apparently the link will expire at some point, however I hope it might help someone else in the UK wanting to make an ISO for a clean install in the meantime  :)