What is it about that iMac screen that makes it look great?

I can read a book on an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) for hours and hours, no problem.

When I read a book on a Windows PC with a Dell UltraSharp U2212HM (with brightness turn up) for a couple hours and I already get a headache.

I don't know what's different about them. They are both 21.5" IPS (1920x1080) monitors with LED-backlit.

You can adjust the brightness on Windows PC or get f.lux and it will automatically be adjusted based on time of the day or night.  You can adjust on your own in f.lux if you want to.

If I'm not mistaken, the iMac monitor is IPS, which is a very good looking monitor.  I don't know about the Dell UltraSharp.  You should compare the iMac monitor to another IPS monitor.

I am not sure the built material, but the Dell looks like blurry plastic display, and the iMac looks like clear glass display

If I'm not mistaken, the iMac monitor is IPS, which is a very good looking monitor.  I don't know about the Dell UltraSharp.  You should compare the iMac monitor to another IPS monitor.

The Dell is also IPS according to Dell's website.

I am not sure the built material, but the Dell looks like blurry plastic display, and the iMac looks like clear glass display

plastic?  you mean LCD?

you touch the screen with your finger which shows ripple around your finger, did it?  If so, it's LCD.

I have Acer LED monitor that is clear glass with reflection all over. No ripple effect on it. Similar to iMac.

I have 2 LCD monitors ... it can become ripple if you touch it with your finger.

plastic?  you mean LCD?

you touch the screen with your finger which shows ripple around your finger, did it?  If so, it's LCD.

I have Acer LED monitor that is clear glass with reflection all over. No ripple effect on it. Similar to iMac.

I have 2 LCD monitors ... it can become ripple if you touch it with your finger.

I just touched the screen on the Dell and got a ton of ripple, nothing on the iMac.

Sir, LED is a form of LCD. It has to do with the backlighting. What a pet peeve!

I am pretty sure an "LED screen" is an LCD screen with LED backlit.

I just touch screen on the Dell and got a ton of ripple, nothing on the iMac.

Then your Dell is LCD.  That's why it's not same as iMac. 

That's the reason you have headache from that.  If you want headache-free reading on Windows PC, get a LED or OLED monitor..

Or you try the f.lux and that monitor and see if it helps... if not, get a new one..

On mine, I use the brightness down to 15 and I read fine these days.

On 100 brightness, it hurts my eyes.

Then your Dell is LCD.  That's why it's not same as iMac. 

That's the reason you have headache from that.  If you want headache-free reading on Windows PC, get a LED or OLED monitor..

Or you try the f.lux and that monitor and see if it helps... if not, get a new one..

I am pretty sure that an "LED screen" is an LCD screen with LED backlit.

The Dell also apparently has an LED backlit.

I am pretty sure that an "LED screen" is an LCD screen with LED backlit.

The Dell also apparently has an LED backlit.

LCD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

LED: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

I like LCD better because no reflections on the display. I can use it any time of the day or night.

I use LED in the dark room or low light as long as no light is facing at the monitor.  If use it in day time, you can see reflections all over the screen.

LCD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display

LED: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

I like LCD better because no reflections on the display. I can use it any time of the day or night.

I use LED in the dark room or low light as long as no light is facing at the monitor.  If use it in day time, you can see reflections all over the screen.

I just looked at the spec of the iMac and it said

• 21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 1920-by-1080 resolution with support for millions of colors

IPS is a type of LCD.

You are probably thinking of OLED screen which is something different.

I just looked at the spec of the iMac and it said

• 21.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 1920-by-1080 resolution with support for millions of colors

IPS is a type of LCD.

You are probably thinking of OLED screen which is something different.

No I have not said anything about iMac for those types...

I was talking about monitors... not iMac.

I have Acer monitor which same as iMac. but I wish my Acer has same screen resolution as iMac.  Both Acer and iMac have reflections on the glass.

I donno about now, but for the longest time Apple Screens and Dell Ultrasharps used the exact same panel, only the Mac ones got the glossy finish..

Also, since Apple controls the hardware, you have to remember all the settings are optimized for it in terms of their display calibration.

No I have not said anything about iMac for those types...

I was talking about monitors... not iMac.

I have Acer monitor which same as iMac. but I wish my Acer has same screen resolution as iMac.  Both Acer and iMac have reflections on the glass.

Ya. I can see my reflection on the iMac screen if it is bright outside. The screen on the Dell is matted and there's no reflection.

I have no idea what's that call though.

The screen on the Dell is matted and there's no reflection.

I have no idea what's that call though.

That's called LCD.. Mine is matte as well, which is why you and I have ripple effects on the screen..  I don't have reflections on my 2 LCD monitors except the Acer monitor which is glass.

A plethora of things

first and foremost, Factory color calibration

Second would be hardened surface vs plastic one on dell / finish also helps if the display has a glossy finish colors will looker a bit more vivid vrs a matte finish.

third better quality IPS display. Just because they are same speced, doesn't mean they use the exact same components. As others pointed out, refresh rate, etc.

Fourth windows optimization in FONTS for lcd screens are notorious, google "clear type".

both your monitors are led backlit, so that is not obviously not the issue. Are you reading in the same conditions? eg. black font over white background?

Are you reading in the same conditions? eg. black font over white background?

It's the same book, so I would sure hope so.

From what I remember reading, reflections on the screen have to do with they type of layers the manufacturer has used. But I could be wrong.

My laptop screen is definitely an LED (and I know LED is still an LCD), and it doesn't hurt my eyes,

nor do I get any type of annoying reflections on it, nor does it ripple when I touch it, and I can see it perfect in direct sunlight, etc. etc.

The proper term for an LED screen is LED-lit LCD.

I just touched the screen on the Dell and got a ton of ripple, nothing on the iMac.

I am pretty sure an "LED screen" is an LCD screen with LED backlit.

So it looks better because of a glass display in front?

LOL.

I dont know, but I have a pretty good monitor - and looking @ the GUI on WIndows 10 makes me think about doing the unthinkable.... switching over to mac

I've always liked the glossy coating on the Mac screens. I wish Dell would offer the option of either matte or gloss.