Can I use this TV as a monitor

Well then i presume you want to buy a sreen cause the resolution of the netbook screen is too low?

If this is the case then i would definitely look for a monitor for a higher resolution than 1080p. Maybe verify before if the gpu in the netbook support higher resolution than 1080p but it's probably the case. The d7 netbook line comes with various gpu from what i can gather so hard to say without checking the spec of the your version of the d7 in the manual coming with it.

Thanks. I tried it today at Best Buy with a 32" TV that was 1080p. It just expanded my screen. Here's my other thread about the problem I'm having: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1265688-how-to-make-screen-bigger/

Royalty, I read your other post. It looks like what you really need is a higher resolution monitor and a card that can drive a monitor with higher resolution. I was suggesting that you use 2560x1440 resolution because many desktop computers can actually display that resolution from a decent video card. Changing the DPI can change the size of things, but that doesn't guarantee that it will be readable.

It is unclear to me if your laptop (Pavilion dv7) can do the higher resolutions. According to the specs I found, you have a AMD Radeon HD 6570M - 1 GB video card that is part of the laptop. In searching for tests done by other people, I could turn up webpages that show the Radeon HD 6570M can do at least 1920x1080 (here is one such link http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6570M.41479.0.html) but I don't show anything that says the card can do 2560x1440 or better.

If you find that you can do higher resolutions on the HP (or want to try from another computer you own) then my list of "inexpensive" 2560 monitors still stands (below). There are more out there if you search NewEgg for 2560x1440. I think for that price range, that is the best you are going to get.

Exactly! Thanks for the explanation! Are there any 32" monitors?

Why is the 32" size important? If you're programming, you want to be sat next to the display, therefore, you'll get more usable screen real estate with a higher resolution, no matter the form factor of the device, assuming you have scaling switched off. Size of the screen and resolution are totally separate. 

So basically, you want a higher res 24" monitor, or maybe 27" and you'll get those for waaaaaaaaay cheaper than a 32" monitor.

Even a 1080p 24" monitor will give you a decent screen real estate bump over what your laptop already provides, which runs at 1600x900 as far as I can see.

Here's a comparison of resolutions

ql5wOQK.png

Even though it might not look like much, the difference between 1600x900 vs 1920x1080 in actually use, really does make a big difference. I use my monitor for stuff like Photoshop and Lightroom and moved from a 1680x1080 to a 1900x1200 display and the difference was massive. All of those pallets that waste space on the screen had enough extra space to make everything feel much less claustrophobic.

If you mostly do programming then a smaller monitor with a higher resolution would be better.

A physically larger screen doesn't mean you fit more on it, the resolution defines that.

So a 2K or 4K 24-27" monitor will be your best bet if your sitting at a desk.

Anything above 32" is getting a bit sill sitting that close...hence why monitors top out at that size and only TV's go larger.

You end up having to constantly move your head around to look at things rather than just your eyes and as the resolution is still 1080p but like 32/40" the pixles are physically larger, so as someone mentioned you'll start to see them and the quality will look worse.

If you do want to keep with a TV just make sure you put it in Game mode, this will turn off all the TV's image processing and reduce the "lag".

The BB guy is technically right though a TV will probably have higher lag than a monitor TV's normally around 8ms, low end monitor 5ms, high end monitor 1-2ms.

Note: This is called the response time, how long a pixel takes to change its colour.

The image processing is another "lag" ontop of this, so you could well be looking at 20-30ms+ with the processing on, depending on how good or bad the TV is.

Hope that all made sense.

If you mostly do programming then a smaller monitor with a higher resolution would be better.

A physically larger screen doesn't mean you fit more on it, the resolution defines that.

So a 2K or 4K 24-27" monitor will be your best bet if your sitting at a desk.

Anything above 32" is getting a bit sill sitting that close...hence why monitors top out at that size and only TV's go larger.

You end up having to constantly move your head around to look at things rather than just your eyes and as the resolution is still 1080p but like 32/40" the pixles are physically larger, so as someone mentioned you'll start to see them and the quality will look worse.

If you do want to keep with a TV just make sure you put it in Game mode, this will turn off all the TV's image processing and reduce the "lag".

The BB guy is technically right though a TV will probably have higher lag than a monitor TV's normally around 8ms, low end monitor 5ms, high end monitor 1-2ms.

Note: This is called the response time, how long a pixel takes to change its colour.

The image processing is another "lag" ontop of this, so you could well be looking at 20-30ms+ with the processing on, depending on how good or bad the TV is.

Hope that all made sense.

Made perfect sense. Thank you all so much! :)

i certainly would not go above 27" if used on the desk.   i am sitting at 27" now, and i would have much preffered a 24" with higher res.     27" with higher res would be ok too, but it is getting close...   you need to be close to see and 27" is already quite large, so you have to move your head.

cannot imaging coding on anything bigger, as it will be a waste, and you will only look at small part of the screen at the some time.  (unless you are planning to watch a movie, larger size does not make sense!)

Why is the 32" size important? If you're programming, you want to be sat next to the display, therefore, you'll get more usable screen real estate with a higher resolution, no matter the form factor of the device, assuming you have scaling switched off. Size of the screen and resolution are totally separate. 

So basically, you want a higher res 24" monitor, or maybe 27" and you'll get those for waaaaaaaaay cheaper than a 32" monitor.

Even a 1080p 24" monitor will give you a decent screen real estate bump over what your laptop already provides, which runs at 1600x900 as far as I can see.

Here's a comparison of resolutions

ql5wOQK.png

Even though it might not look like much, the difference between 1600x900 vs 1920x1080 in actually use, really does make a big difference. I use my monitor for stuff like Photoshop and Lightroom and moved from a 1680x1080 to a 1900x1200 display and the difference was massive. All of those pallets that waste space on the screen had enough extra space to make everything feel much less claustrophobic.

Hmm... okay. What would you think would be the best then? A 27" monitor? Thanks,

Actually, definitely don't get that, the dv7 maximum supported resolution appears to be 2560 x 1600.

http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-AMD/Radeon_HD_7470M_GDDR5.html

Performance at this resolution is another matter.

For desktop use, you will be able to use that resolution, but it might be a little laggy even at that. If you're literally just typing a bunch of stuff out though, I'm not sure that should be an issue.

I'll leave others to an actual recommendation, but it clearly can't be a monitor with a higher resolution than this.

Not to be rude, Royalty, but for a programmer, your apparent lack of basic knowledge about how resolution works interests me.

To be fair, the op might just be learning, though this did cross my mind.

Doesn't hurt to have more screen real estate at any level really.

Not to be rude, Royalty, but for a programmer, your apparent lack of basic knowledge about how resolution works interests me.

To be fair, the op might just be learning, though this did cross my mind.

Doesn't hurt to have more screen real estate at any level really.

I don't really pay attention with custom computers. I just a buy computer that has the specs I need and I'm good, I can do my thing. When it comes to programming, all we need is a browser, internet, IDE/compiler, and we're set. :D

• 2 weeks later...

the laptop will perform fine at 1080p for general windows use, bit of video accel and internet use. Gaming on the other hand, probably not too great.

Main difference is the optimum viewing distance on a computer monitor compared to a HDTV, a computer monitors optimum viewing is 2-4 feet away. a HDTV is designed with a viewing distance of at least 1M away, any closer and the dot pitch on the pixels will annoy the hell out of you close up in windows, I occasionally use our 47" LG for Windows, fine if your sitting on the sofa, but your too far away to use it properly, outside of games ofc.

If your going to be coding (lots of text onscreen) the 32" TV will look woeful and i would advise against it as your main monitor. you only get 1 pair of eyes, don't risk damaging them to save a few £, a 27" monitor is plenty when your sitting in front of it (i recently upgraded from 2x 22.1s to a single 27 1080p and the 2x 22.1s are connected but never on nowadays) 

to answer the original question, yes you can use that TV as a monitor, but with what your wishing to use it for, I would advise against it for daily use, preferring a proper computer monitor (1080p is plenty)

Insignia is junk and that is why they are so cheap, they are meant for people on a tight budget who don't understand quality. Don't mean to be rude but I just shake my head when I go into Best Buy and people prefer to buy this over Samsung etc.

Edited by rmorris003