BattleTech

But this is nothign like the tabletop. this is more like (as they state) the previous PC "RTS" game. PvP never really worked for these types of games. Coop could. 

personally I wouldn't play either coop or PVP though. if the make a proper fully 3D beautiful 3D models on a hexagonal 3D board battletech PC PvP game, then I'd play PVP witht he classic battletech rules. 

Where did you get that from?  This game is made to be very much like the tabletop experience not an "RTS".  The core gameplay has you commanding a lance of 4 mechs at a time.  What RTS gives you only 4 units at a time?  There is no base or unit building on the tactical map.  It's more like XCOM where you customize your units and HQ between battles but when you go to fight you pick 4 Mechs from your unit to deploy on any given mission.  The individual battles will be very similar to the tabletop game.  It will just have nice graphics and all the busy work like looking up things on charts and rolling dice will be taken care of for you.  That's for the campaign.  The PvP will be even more like the board game because it will get rid of the between mission base building and such (which were only even added as stretch goals) and just give you a map each player picks a lance (probably with a set total tonnage) and fights it out.

I'm not even sure what they're going to do for Coop.  Does each player get a lance and the battles now involve two lances per side?  Do you have to split the tonnage of a single lance between the two players?  I doubt you'll be able to do the Story in coop, if you can which player decides how to spend the money, what contracts to take, etc.

Personally I doubt I'll play either coop or PvP either.  It will be nice to just get an open ended BattleTech single player experience.  If it's done well I can see myself running random missions and tweaking mech designs and lance makeup for a long time going forward.  Especially if there isn't just a finite set of fixed maps (like the first XCom, I'm glad they're fixing that in XCOM2 as well).

The old BT RTS also only had 4 units most of the time.  and tehcnically, XCOM is somewhat classified as an RTS as well :shrug: 

Amount of units isn't what defines an RTS, andbase building definitely isn't. many RTS games don't have that aspect. 

point is BT PvP should be on a turn based hex grid of some kind. 

The old BT RTS also only had 4 units most of the time.  and tehcnically, XCOM is somewhat classified as an RTS as well :shrug: 

The only thing close to RTS in XCOM is when you are OUTSIDE of combat at your base.  The battles are fully turn based.

Amount of units isn't what defines an RTS, andbase building definitely isn't. many RTS games don't have that aspect. 

No the amount of units and base building don't define RTS, I completely agree. But those are common elements in the genre.  What defines a RTS is REAL TIME vs. TURN BASED.  This game is advertised as Turn-Based though which is the opposite of RTS.  Now MAYBE outside of combat times ticks by in a real time fashion like XCOM but I don't even think we know that.  I suspect it doesn't and you can sit all day at your base screen, playing with your mech configuration, looking through available missions, etc. with nothing happening until you pick a mission to run but that's admittedly a guess on my part.

point is BT PvP should be on a turn based hex grid of some kind. 

I agree with that but it's not what I responded to.  I responded to you saying "PvP never really worked for these types of games. Coop could."  That's completely different from what you're saying now.  PvP works best for this kind of game (turn based hex grid of some kind) and coop may or may not which is why it isn't a focus of the kickstarter.

I agree with that but it's not what I responded to.  I responded to you saying "PvP never really worked for these types of games. Coop could."  That's completely different from what you're saying now.  PvP works best for this kind of game (turn based hex grid of some kind) and coop may or may not which is why it isn't a focus of the kickstarter.

Well there was no pvp in the last BT top down PC game, which is what they said they where inspired by.

personally, I have no problems with the game not being very close to that(those) as I didn't find them terribly good.