Windows 10 lacks support for iphones?

I find it laughable how the 'phone companian' application says 'Got an iphone? plug it in to exchange files or charging' - this doesn't work at all.

Plug a iphone in, and windows doesn't have drivers for it! What a surprise. It then checks online via windows update for drivers - none found.

So I've had to download itunes, which I refuse to install, I've extracted the apple mobile device msi and installed it, installed the drivers so what's the verdict? Doesn't work. The apple mobile device service can't start, I would love a log of why not but this is as much information as I'm given: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Apple Mobile Device Service service to connect. The Apple Mobile Device Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

In device manager there is the iphone driver that's installed and an uninstalled driver for 'iphone'. This enters a loop, the hardware ID matches up with 'iphone' but it won't pick the driver up, so if you force it to use the iphone driver it will use it, then another instance of 'iphone' will appear with the same problem - no driver and will not be assigned the iphone driver. I went up to 5 instances of this driver appearing and gave up.

So my question is quite simple, all I want to do is transfer a picture from an iphone on windows 10 (natively supported my arse it is) without installing that god damn itunes crap, how do I do it?

hey. this was a serious issue for me since forever.   since i got iphone 3G is 2008
there was never a good way to access ipones in windows, and itunes for windows is an abomination!

it is part of the reason i switched to android eventually.  i wanted a phone that i can plug in as an external drive. to easily transfer files.
there were a few, paid for, managers for iphones on windows, but even they were crap.

not sure what win10 promised on this extent, but i am not surprised it is the same. it really is apples policy, not MS.

sorry, i cannot be more of help, but using iphone without apple computer to plug it in to, was always annoying to me.

Contact Apple.

It's not an apple issue, the same proceedure works fine on windows 7 (I've done it multiple times), something has changed with windows 10 and it's broken something.

It's not an apple issue, the same proceedure works fine on windows 7 (I've done it multiple times), something has changed with windows 10 and it's broken something.

Maybe Windows 10 need new drivers.

Keep in mind that I already had iTunes installed prior to upgrading 8 to 10, but when I first plugged my iPhone in on my 10 install, it re-installed the driver for the phone. It took forever, but it did install it. Not sure whats happening in your case, but extracting things from the installer and trying to shoehorn functionality isn't a supported path. You're bound to run into problems doing it that way.

I agree that MS misrepresented phone companion to an extent. I was all excited about it, until I opened it.

Works fine for me on Windows 10 (without iTunes), assuming you're talking about a camera roll picture?  Plugged mine in just now, <iPhone name> came up in devices and drives as expected.

Works fine for me on Windows 10 (without iTunes), assuming you're talking about a camera roll picture?  Plugged mine in just now, <iPhone name> came up in devices and drives as expected.

I can't even get that. Windows will only pick it up if I have the applemobiledevice msi installed, otherwise it won't even charge, with that installed I get the 'trust device / do not trust device' selection box, if I select 'trust device' I get the device connected notification and it enters the loop of adding a new devices that windows 10 somehow can't find a driver for which if installed manually just duplicates another device without a driver.