Build
PSU: Thermaltake EVO_BLUE 2.0 750W 80Plus Gold
MOBO: GA-Z87M-D3HP Bios - F1
CPU: Intel i7-4770K
GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9 290 GV-R929D5-4GD-B Rev 1
RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
WiFI PCI: TP-Link TL-WN851ND
Monitors: 2x17” monitors DVI (please don’t judge I have a 27” that I only plug to watch movies cause it has gloss screen it annoys me when gaming)

OK completed the windows upgrade to WIN 10 on 9/08/15 (created back up of files to other drive) as soon as the upgrade was completed the pc crashed even as it was doing the update but after restarting it continued where it left of I was a bit worried but when I saw it continuing I thought ok good.

After the upgrade completed and was going through the sysprep it crashed to a black screen and noise came out of the speakers crackly and sharp then cut. I thought new OS driver issue no biggie.

After hard restart still going through sysprep crashed to black screen & ugly sound!?!? I’ve never experience a black screen crash, blue screen yeah but black WTF.

Anyway, thinking it was just driver issue I continued to hard restart till I at least pass the stupid sysprep to get into Windows.

Eventually I got into windows and immediately checked device manager to my surprise no driver issues and Win 10 even fixed my USB Bluetooth driver issue too, and then bang crashed again. Then my brain kicked my balls and said pull out all peripherals and devices. So my pc only had its internal components my plug and play Microsoft mouse and dell plug and play keyboard and only one monitor plugged into my GPU.

Turned on PC looking promising then not even 5 min on crashed so said f-it I’ll “Reset” my pc.

I reset my pc and boy it was a nightmare black screening during the reset process.

Managed to complete the reset my drivers where still installed looking good.

It still black screened then I sad ok maybe ram issue.

I went into my bios check everything no over clocking or temp issues.

I did a RAM test returned pass. But still I ripped out the ram reseat only one stick and while I had it opened I reseated the GPU. Leaving one ram stick in, I booted it up, all working then crashed. Tested all sticks one at a time, all same result system crashed in in under 5 min.

Maybe GPU? (Still only using one monitor other is unplugged) I take out DVI cable from the GPU and plug it to the MOBO.

4 hrs on no crashing. Good time to update drivers but before that “SFC /SCANNOW” (sys files check) all good. So I updated all drivers and Windows updates then ran “SFC /SCANNOW”. All looking good. I installed Steam pointed, Steam to my games on other drive, all good played COD MW3 for a good hour played CS GO for another hour all good. Good.

So things are looking good I leave that monitor plugged into my MOBO I then plug the other monitor to the GPU and then it crashed in <5min. but the monitor conceded to the GPU only goes black the monitor plugged to the MOBO still displays the frozen desktop.

Ok must be GPU issue or something up with AMD Catalyst. Uninstalled and AMD Catalyst and installed the latest Catalyst from the AMD site 15.7.1.

Still no avail.

It looks like it is GPU related issue but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the GPU it was all working fine with WIN 7. But even then could it be coincidence the GPU sh!t itself the moment I upgraded? But it displays fine in BIOS.

I’ve run out of trouble shooting ideas and can’t find anything on the net with this issue. Guys if you can help it would be appreciated and if the GPU is faulty I have still 2years warranty on it just takes 10 weeks to send it in and get it back, so I need to make sure it is the GPU before RMA.

BTW I have never OC I haven’t had the need to.

Please ask me questions I will answer ASAP

Thanks in advance

Try taking the TP-Link Wireless card out of your computer and see if the crashes continue.  I had one of these crappy cards when in my system when Windows 8 came out and it would just hang all the time until i removed it. Might not be that but its worth a go.

Wi-Fi seems fine as its not crushing while nothing is plugged to the GPU; but ill give that a go it wont hurt. I'll post back once I get a chance to take it out and test.  

It's your GPU, AMD has failed again and many are having issues with black screens using ATI cards, they may get their act together and release decent drivers sometime in the far future

There's a reason so many of us avoid them at all costs 

It's your GPU, AMD has failed again and many are having issues with black screens using ATI cards, they may get their act together and release decent drivers sometime in the far future

There's a reason so many of us avoid them at all costs 

AMD's Windows 10 drivers seem to be better than NVIDIA's at the moment but both companies have issues. Fortunately, the majority of users are unaffected. 

Also, I don't know why you're demonizing AMD for an issue that affects NVIDIA users too. You don't speak for everyone so your comment about people avoiding AMD at all costs is baseless. A short look at /r/NVIDIA on Reddit will give you insight into the issues faced by NVIDIA users.

AMD's Windows 10 drivers seem to be better than NVIDIA's at the moment but both companies have issues. Fortunately, the majority of users are unaffected. 

Also, I don't know why you're demonizing AMD for an issue that affects NVIDIA users too. You don't speak for everyone so your comment about people avoiding AMD at all costs is baseless. A short look at /r/NVIDIA on Reddit will give you insight into the issues faced by NVIDIA users.

Well all the issues I've seen here have been related to AMD cards, and the have a history of really bad drivers, it's not like I'm spreading FUD :) 

Wi-Fi seems fine as its not crushing while nothing is plugged to the GPU; but ill give that a go it wont hurt. I'll post back once I get a chance to take it out and test.  

Took out the Wi-Fi card and still crashed.

2  of my mates just told me they had same issue with there R9 290's and used the beta driver and that worked for them I'm going to try that now.. I will post back soon.

Took out the Wi-Fi card and still crashed.

2  of my mates just told me they had same issue with there R9 290's and used the beta driver and that worked for them I'm going to try that now.. I will post back soon.

I have not been able to try the beta drivers as I cant find it on the AMD site.

Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall your video card drivers? If not, then give it a try.

I used DDU to remove the drivers and reinstalled the latest drivers.

Gigabyte got back to me this is what they had to say:

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, if possible, please try to test your VGA card and the games in another system, or test your motherboard with different VGA card to see if there's a hardware problem.

Regarding to the motherboard, make sure you have update to the latest BIOS version and install proper driver for your platform. After bios updating, please do not forget to load BIOS optimized default setting and please also do not try to overclock your system at this momentFor more information about BIOS upgrading, please click HERE.
If the problem still occurs in another system, a further testing or examination to your VGA card might be required. We suggest you to contact your supplier (where you bought the product) to arrange further examination and find out the root cause.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

So I'm going to try the above and if that fails I'm going to install a fresh ISO of WIN 10.

I have not been able to try the beta drivers as I cant find it on the AMD site.

I used DDU to remove the drivers and reinstalled the latest drivers.

Gigabyte got back to me this is what they had to say:

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, if possible, please try to test your VGA card and the games in another system, or test your motherboard with different VGA card to see if there's a hardware problem.

Regarding to the motherboard, make sure you have update to the latest BIOS version and install proper driver for your platform. After bios updating, please do not forget to load BIOS optimized default setting and please also do not try to overclock your system at this momentFor more information about BIOS upgrading, please click HERE.
If the problem still occurs in another system, a further testing or examination to your VGA card might be required. We suggest you to contact your supplier (where you bought the product) to arrange further examination and find out the root cause.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

So I'm going to try the above and if that fails I'm going to install a fresh ISO of WIN 10.

This is the link for the latest beta drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

The current drivers are newer so don't use that unless it still doesn't work. Try the Gigabyte BIOS utility (VGA Tools -- @BIOS). Maybe there's a new BIOS update for your card.

• 2 weeks later...

Try taking the TP-Link Wireless card out of your computer and see if the crashes continue.  I had one of these crappy cards when in my system when Windows 8 came out and it would just hang all the time until i removed it. Might not be that but its worth a go.

Bro you are a genius!!

I done a fresh install of win10 and now it says "Activate Windows" :( even though I used belarc advisor to get my win10 key after I upgraded before I did the fresh install. Spewing!

Anyway after the fresh install the pc was still crashing and black screening. To make a long story short. I took the wifi card out after the fresh install an what do you know installing win10 worked and not crashing. So I blamed my gpu my ssd my mobo oh my poor mobo how I yelled at you. 

now that pc was turning on I put the wifi card in and the pc crashed with in 5 -10min. hmm maybe I install the drivers. nope drivers are not compatible with OS. so i install it anyway and even for some reason the driver crashed my system.

So when I took out the wifi card when you suggested the driver was some how causing it to crash, and silly me did not think of removing the wifi card drivers as well.

I did a fresh install of win10 and now looking to buy a good win 10- compatible wifi card. all is working fine and i have played few games for hours and watched heaps of movies no crashing just now I don't have a win 10 key :(

I felt so lost with out my PC.

Thanks man!