Speed test your connection

On 17/10/2022 at 05:53, Steven P. said:

13814073089.png

Thanks for reviving this topic, I came across an issue where my speed was capped at 250Mbps and after two hours of Googling, the only thing that fixed it was TCP Optimizer. I am a little sad that I don't know what caused the slow down, but I am happy my networking in Windows 10 is back to full speed.

No problem. I just gave TCP Optimizer a try and it seems to have increased my download speed a bit. I typically get around 200-250 Mbps with my gaming PC. Now, I'm getting 300-350 Mbps. I set it to "optimal" and rebooted.

13816748357.png

On 17/10/2022 at 15:44, neufuse said:

Thanks Comcast for upgrading our Gigabit Pro fiber 🤣

Capture.PNG

My goodness. How much does that cost? There's an ISP in my city that offers 8 Gbps down/up for $135 CAD/month.

On 17/10/2022 at 17:10, Yusuf M. said:

No problem. I just gave TCP Optimizer a try and it seems to have increased my download speed a bit. I typically get around 200-250 Mbps with my gaming PC. Now, I'm getting 300-350 Mbps. I set it to "optimal" and rebooted.

13816748357.png

My goodness. How much does that cost? There's an ISP in my city that offers 8 Gbps down/up for $135 CAD/month.

$299 a month plus rental of a Juniper box that comcast has full management control of so its only able to use 3 ports on it... fiber in 1 1Gbps copper out and a 6Gbps fiber (you can aggregate for a total of 7Gbps) when the fiber first came out it was 500Mbit symmetric, then went to 1Gbps then 2Gbps then they upped it recently to 6Gbps

On 17/10/2022 at 23:08, neufuse said:

$299 a month plus rental of a Juniper box that comcast has full management control of so its only able to use 3 ports on it... fiber in 1 1Gbps copper out and a 6Gbps fiber (you can aggregate for a total of 7Gbps) when the fiber first came out it was 500Mbit symmetric, then went to 1Gbps then 2Gbps then they upped it recently to 6Gbps

What do you do for you needing that much? But if money is no object I would take it too.

On 17/10/2022 at 18:29, SnoopZ said:

What do you do for you needing that much? But if money is no object I would take it too.

well its partially subsidized by work so why not 😂

• Haha 2

On 17/10/2022 at 11:50, SnoopZ said:

You must be right out in the sticks, if I didn't have access to Virgin Media then I'd only be able to get an estimated 8-16Mb.

Nope, we're about 1.5 miles from a town centre. We don't want Virgin media, and there's no FTTC (yet) to our nearest cabinet.  

A couple of 5G results from last month at a college campus. Although my home and school connections have been very reliable, it's nice to know that my backup is fast.

IMG_4309-1.PNG.a2f5f59e92cd380d7e8cb68b3581e5b2.PNG

IMG_4306-1.PNG.45cd16e6f7b192945afa0c0005cb2a18.PNG

On 18/10/2022 at 06:38, Yusuf M. said:

A couple of 5G results from last month at a college campus. Although my home and school connections have been very reliable, it's nice to know that my backup is fast.

IMG_4309-1.PNG.a2f5f59e92cd380d7e8cb68b3581e5b2.PNG

IMG_4306-1.PNG.45cd16e6f7b192945afa0c0005cb2a18.PNG

While on paper it looks fast, that upload will bottleneck the download, can't handshake as fast so you theoretically halve the download...

It's stupid that bell no longer offers fibre as symetical on the 1Gbps+ plans... but the upload is only like 10% slower on current plans.  Just checked... I have a grandfathered 1Gbps plan... should upgrade to the 1.5 plan and save $10 a month... lol

On 18/10/2022 at 11:02, Matthew S. said:

While on paper it looks fast, that upload will bottleneck the download, can't handshake as fast so you theoretically halve the download...

It's stupid that bell no longer offers fibre as symetical on the 1Gbps+ plans... but the upload is only like 10% slower on current plans.  Just checked... I have a grandfathered 1Gbps plan... should upgrade to the 1.5 plan and save $10 a month... lol

My backup Comcast cable connection is 1.4Gbps / 45Mbps upload it sees no download slow downs, ACKs run about 15Mbps for the 1.4Gbps at full speed so there is no bottleneck with that down/up ratio... never saw issues with 5G UWB either running around the same download speed with a slow upload... now if the area gets crowded they yeah ping goes through the roof and slow downs start sharing that cell radio

On 23/10/2022 at 05:32, d5aqoëp said:

13840020373.png

Rs. 2500 ($30) per month for 1 Gbps up and down with 3.3 TB data limit.

Tata Play Fiber Mumbai

I'd be happy with that for £30 a month!

Virgin Media have just given us all a free speed increase of 50 down and 5 up on the 100 and 200 tiers, so I can't see that happening anytime soon!

I'm still perfectly happy what I have though I don't need anymore but I feel ripped off looking at what you pay for that.

On 23/10/2022 at 16:14, SnoopZ said:

Virgin Media have just given us all a free speed increase of 50 down and 5 up on the 100 and 200 tiers, so I can't see that happening anytime soon!

I have used Virgin Media 10 yrs ago when I was in UK. It was hell and they did some weird traffic shaping from 4pm to 9pm.

I am happy with Tata Play Fiber in Mumbai as they give proper Static IPv6 for all my devices free of cost. IPv4 is behind CG-NAT which is expected but I am yet to face any problems in games.

On 23/10/2022 at 14:00, d5aqoëp said:

I have used Virgin Media 10 yrs ago when I was in UK. It was hell and they did some weird traffic shaping from 4pm to 9pm.

I am happy with Tata Play Fiber in Mumbai as they give proper Static IPv6 for all my devices free of cost. IPv4 is behind CG-NAT which is expected but I am yet to face any problems in games.

We don't have traffic shaping anymore and it's unlimited downloads, I really don't have any issues with them to be honest.

I find it strange in the US at least, that we had a massive jump in residential broadband speeds around 2015, from about 25-50mbits to 500mbits, and then crept up to 1gbps, and we've been stagnant since about 2018, all with gimped upload speeds too. I've got 1000/50.  The other cable competitor tops out at 900/20.

Fiber runs are non-existent in my area due some nonsense agreement in the 90s about how one telecom maintains all that infrastructure, and any attempts by competitors would result in their corporate offices leaving the state. There have been pockets of loop holes in various counties that allow local companies to run fiber, but all in all, the rollout of fiber by said major telecom is virtually non-existent 20 minutes out of the metro area. I'll be stuck on 1gig for probably another 5-10 years until cable can start pushing 1gig+ over copper, but that'll take beefed up infrastructure and the two cable companies available get bought out every couple of years and no progress is made.

Internet red tape is ridiculous around here.

Edited by shockz

• 7 months later...
On 23/10/2022 at 23:02, SnoopZ said:

We don't have traffic shaping anymore and it's unlimited downloads, I really don't have any issues with them to be honest.

That "Traffix Shaping" has been permanently etched in my memory as I almost missed completing my Uni assignment and had to rush to Uni to upload the necessary documents last minute.

On 17/10/2022 at 20:44, neufuse said:

Thanks Comcast for upgrading our Gigabit Pro fiber 🤣

Capture.PNG

I think you win this thread haha, that is ridiculous 😁

Do you do anything interesting with it / host anything from home?

On 23/06/2023 at 05:43, InsaneNutter said:

I think you win this thread haha, that is ridiculous 😁

Do you do anything interesting with it / host anything from home?

just work, but since then we've hit speeds as high as 9Gbps down and 7Gbps up, comcast keeps moving up the speeds now that they are pushing a "10G" network... just to confuse cell people...

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Hello,

Just upgraded to Comcast Xfinity Gigabit x2.

Download: 2177.95 Mbps
Upload:  236.85 Mbps
Ping:  14ms

I started my request for this service when it was offered at my address the end of November last year, and ended up having to file a complaint called an "availability challenge" with the FCC.  It is finally active today. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

image.png

Living in a small town, managed to get access to fiber where some of my coworkers living in much larger area's still can't get fiber.

My router (wired) bottlenecks ISP <-> Network at 700 mb, technically paying for 1gb. 

15814385541.png

Wired Connection:

15814547713.png

Wireless I max out at 557Mbps down 531Mbps up

I'm on bell's Fibe 1G service.