4K TV as monitor?

40 inch. Would that work for you think?

Should work just fine. . .I have a Samsung 28" 4K, and it is just sweet with 3840x2160 screen. . .:yes:

TV's are only monitors with tuner cards in. Really depends what you are using it for but I find that really big screens used up close require me to move my head around rather than my eyes to see everything.

make sure it's 60Hz first.... 30Hz refresh is dreadfully painful... I used my 49" LG 4K TV which is 240Hz it was a 3840x2160 screen worked great at 60Hz via HDMI1.1 cables (yes 1.1 worked perfectly even though the ports were HDMI 2, just keep the cable length short if you do that)

TV's are only monitors with tuner cards in. Really depends what you are using it for but I find that really big screens used up close require me to move my head around rather than my eyes to see everything.

yes, but TV's usually have a lot of preprocessors and other filters... you need to disable all those to get it to work good... I know I had to put mine into "game" mode to get it to stop lagging since it was trying to up convert 60Hz to 240Hz it kept trying to make the missing frames, then do artifact cleaning, motion blurring etc

Big TVs are not best for up close.  If you want to sit up close, then get the smaller TV or monitor.

You can use PC hooked up to big TV so you use it as movie theater or gaming system. Of course, you can view the web from the couch if you can read the text fine based on the distance between you and the TV...  Of course you can change the text size.

UPDATE: I went to Best Buy today. I plugged in my laptop (1080p) into a 40 inch TV and everything blew up and it didn't fit the screen. I also tried a 40 inch 4K TV and that made everything fit the screen but it still blew everything up. How can I get more real estate? lol. We changed a few settings for both and that didn't do it.

UPDATE: I went to Best Buy today. I plugged in my laptop (1080p) into a 40 inch TV and everything blew up and it didn't fit the screen. I also tried a 40 inch 4K TV and that made everything fit the screen but it still blew everything up. How can I get more real estate? lol. We changed a few settings for both and that didn't do it.

What do you mean by blew up? do you mean the screen scaled from a lower res to a higher one? or do you mean it was running at 4K as the resolution but the OS's DPI settings changed and increased the size? I know in windows 10 when I set it up on my LG 4K screen windows jumped the DPI up automatically to make everything larger (font size increased, icon size increased, etc)

What do you mean by blew up? do you mean the screen scaled from a lower res to a higher one? or do you mean it was running at 4K as the resolution but the OS's DPI settings changed and increased the size? I know in windows 10 when I set it up on my LG 4K screen windows jumped the DPI up automatically to make everything larger (font size increased, icon size increased, etc)

Basically, I have my Windows 10 resolution to "100%" when I have it plugged into my TV. I'm not sure why it's not staying the same size as on my laptop screen comparing to when I switch it over to the 4K TV.

Basically, I have my Windows 10 resolution to "100%" when I have it plugged into my TV. I'm not sure why it's not staying the same size as on my laptop screen comparing to when I switch it over to the 4K TV.

not sure what you mean by 100% resolution (I assume you mean DPI scaling, not resolution), set the display resolution to 3840x2160, if that's not what it is then you aren't running at 4k, then make sure that DPI scaling is set to 96 dpi (100% scaling)

100% is not screen resolution....  it's from DPI scaling.

If DPI is at 100%, then get on the web browser and use the hotkeys, CTRL and + or - to change the text size in the browser.  To reset the font size, press CTRL and 0, it will go back to normal.

Make sure your screen resolution is on recommend resolution... For example: 1920x1080 (recommend) from the list. If no recommend in the list, then check and make sure the display looks good to you, if not, it will look blur or screwed up.

You can change DPI scaling to 150% or up, your system-wide font will be bigger so you can read from the couch depends on the distance between you and the TV.

FYI, If you hook it up to the TV for the first time, a restart may be required to make effect in order to have your laptop to adjust the display settings right based on TV.

I would be interested to know which 4K TVs you tried and what the results were.

I suspect that some percentage of 4K TVs will not display actual 4K from a PC HDMI signal.

In Windows 10 go to advanced display panel where you see a picture of both monitors. Do not select "mirror" or "project" - just "extend my desktop to both monitors"

Then set your laptop to the usual 1920x1080 and the TV to 3840x2160 and both to 100% DPI

If that works, you will see a high res windows desktop on the TV with hard to read tiny text. At this point you should confirm that the TV is 100% sharp without any fuzzyness or movement artifacts from moving the mouse. If anything looks less than perfect the TV remote needs to be use to set that TV input to "Game" or to "PC"

Once the 3840x2160 is working perfectly, you can adjust the TV DPI to 150% etc to see if it is more comfortable to use.

I'm using a LG 40UB8000 40" 4K TV as my main desktop monitor using HDMI 2.0 on my nVidia GTX 970.  It's simply amazing and at 40", I set de DPI à 125% in Win10 and it's enough for me.  And for the price, got it at $599, can't beat that!!!  I'm using "Game Mode" on the TV and @60Hz, lag is minimal.

Edited by TruckWEB

Keep in mind a tv has a high input lag compared to a monitor in most cases.

you can mitigate most or all of that by switching the port to "PC" / computer or game mode... depending on your tv... it turns off the video processors the tv uses that cause lag

I'm using a LG 40UB8000 40" 4K TV as my main desktop monitor using HDMI 2.0 on my nVidia GTX 970.  It's simply amazing and at 40", I set de DPI à 125% in Win10 and it's enough for me.  And for the price, got it at $599, can't beat that!!!  I'm using "Game Mode" on the TV and @60Hz, lag is minimal.

Any screenshots of your desktop?

you can mitigate most or all of that by switching the port to "PC" / computer or game mode... depending on your tv... it turns off the video processors the tv uses that cause lag

Depends on the tv I guess, I bought a sony w705 because of the low input lag compared to other tvs at the time.