SpaceX Updates (Thread 7)

Yep. M1DVac's are insane leaps forward compared to previous designs in terms of output; but yeah, the RP-1 getting too cold and gelling up is a real problem. And adding heaters to keep that RP-1 just above gel temperature (because we want the fuel cold, but not too cold) adds weight and sucks the power out of what batteries we have; which requires us to add capacity to compensate, which adds more weight ... vicious cycle when we're trying to minimize weight on an S2 and get those heavy-ish birds into orbit and get our F9 Cores back -- oh. We've got a F9 1.3 Upgrade in the works?! Wheeee! :D Well, maybe we could stand some S2 systems as @DocM has pointed out above ... I'd love to see SpaceX start looking at S2 recovery (like they're doing with S1) and bringing the costs down even more. :yes: We loooooove reuse, and we know SpaceX does too.

Raptor is gonna take care of everything (as @DocM mentioned), and it'll change the game forever. 

I should point out, because I was thinking that this was funny and nobody around my immediate area gets it ...

SpaceX should have named it "Honey Badger" instead of Raptor, for obvious reasons. Cause it don't give a .... :D (and anyone who doesn't get the reference, just look up the viral Honey Badger video on YouTube. Then you'll understand.)

Ugghh...honey badgers are maybe the most badass, fearless critters on Earth. They just don't shiv a git what the opponent is, they're all-in 200% and just-won't-stop. Best strategy: do a 180 and find another meal or path.

15 hours ago, DocM said:

Ugghh...honey badgers are maybe the most badass, fearless critters on Earth. They just don't shiv a git what the opponent is, they're all-in 200% and just-won't-stop. Best strategy: do a 180 and find another meal or path.

Put a honey badger against a tazmanian devil, and I'd bet on the honey badger ANY day! :p

So its towards the end but the whole thing is worth a watch. These suits are going to be styyylish!

• Like 2

SpaceX Private Crew Program

Looks like something Bigelow, Space Adventures etc. would go for

http://www.spacex.com/news/2013/05/19/spacex-crew-program

PRIVATE CREW PROGRAM

Enabling regular and safe human transportation into space is one of the founding goals of SpaceX. To this end, SpaceX is a leading participant in NASA's Commercial Crew program to develop the technologies and systems necessary for human carriage to the International Space Station. Meeting this national priority for an American human space transportation capability is paramount for SpaceX and we are very focused on this for our NASA customer.

However, SpaceX can also offer crew transportation services to commercial customers seeking to transport astronauts to alternate LEO destinations. This is a turn-key program that will encompass several elements as a service, and will be tailored to customer-specific needs and objectives:

Training of crew for a variety of missions including nominal, contingency and emergency scenarios

Development of custom programs

Mission design

Mission simulations

Mission support during all phases

Transport of astronauts to designated orbital destinations

On-orbit science and educational payload support

Logistics support

Post de-orbit support

Public affairs and educational outreach support

Documentation of all phases of mission to support customer

This service relies upon the Falcon family of launch vehicles and the Dragon spacecraft. The crew-capable Dragon is a derivative of the cargo Dragon, which has successfully flown to the International Space Station on multiple missions and returned safely to Earth. This program provides a means of open access to space to a global market. 

Please direct any inquiries to: sales@spacex.com

• Like 2

From Musk tweet, 

A) the 3 engine Suicide Burn™ cuts to 1 engine just before touchdown. That's some fast shutting down.

B) sea level M1D++ can throttle from 40% to 100%, a 60% throttle range. It had been thought to be 60%-100% for these engines.

Of course that M1D++ 100% is now about 112.5% of what M1D+ did, and about 130% of M1D's original thrust. With an unbelievable  thrust/weight of about 199:1. And it can start and restart in air or vacuum, and with a supersonic flow entering the chamber.

That motor continues to flipping amaze.

• Like 2

Niiiiiiice .... :D And now we know the reasons for the Falcon Heavy's delay. They wanted to implement the upgrades to the M1D++ and the 1.3 series of upgrades to the F9 Cores (Landing Legs, Control Systems, etc) ...

All of these things will make FH all that much better. AND worth the wait. By the time it's flying, it'll be lifting as much as the Space Shuttle plus a full Cargo Bay -- without the Space Shuttle's bulk. It'll be all payload ... or is that playload? Either way, the only thing that will ever have been able to out-do it up to now will be Saturn V. :yes: 

With the designations for F9 FT, I see NASA and the FCC using F9 v1.2, in reference to FT in some documentation as of late. I thinks it's fine, and probably doesn't bother too many.....but I think it should realistically, with the increased specs, still be v1.2 since this was only software modifications and a relaxing of "built in " performance "restrictions", of which the engines were capable of during FT labeling...ie...safety cushion while running her through her paces. 

:)

SpaceX and the city of McGregor have agreed to new noise abatement and engine size rules at the McGregor test site,

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/McGregor--City-modifies-SpaceX-rocket-testing-rules-378857891.html

>
The ordinance establishes the Rocket Motor Testing Zone, that is the area within one mile of the center point of the zone.

The restrictions on sound are established within three miles of the center point within the City of McGregor.

For a test that exceeds 115 decibels of sound, the city requires a permit that includes payment of $5,000 for each test.

For a test that exceeds 120 decibels, the city requires a permit and a payment of $7,500-per-test.

For a test that exceeds 125 decibels a permit and payment of $50,000 is required, the ordinance says.

The ordinance also establishes a requirement that the city be allowed to inspect the facility to ensure that the company is adhering to the new requirements.

The ordinance also limits acceptance tests to 15-seconds or less and says that if noise limits of 125 decibels are exceeded, the test must be curtailed within 3 seconds.

Testing also is generally restricted between the hours of 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. and all tests involving a rocket motor that generates 2 million pounds of thrust must be conducted during daylight hours.

The previous agreement allowed for testing up to 10 p.m.
>

In hindsight, I sometimes wonder if McGregor was a wise choice. It does the job for now, but I wonder if SpaceX will have plans for another, more remote site for larger vehicle testing and less restrictions. These restrictions appear to be "workable" between both parties...for now.

:)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

That cost. :(  $3333 per second for a >125 decibel test.  

Ooof. I know. :no: That's just ... bleh. Why?? Just ... why? Are they trying to hack SpaceX off? Completely arbitrary crap. What gall. Methinks the State Governor is going to step in on this one.

1 hour ago, DocM said:

That there's even mention of a 2 million lbf engine is....interesting.

That got my attention immediately. :yes: An engine like that is going to be the most powerful ever built. EVER. 

Saturn V's F-1 can't match that, with all due respect to Rocketdyne -- and those were some downright violent Hydrogen-fuelled monsters at 1,522,000 lbf (6,770 kN) at SL (1,746,000 lbf (7,770 kN) in VAC), and TWR at 94:1. They were technological marvels for the day, without question; but if we're talking a Methane-powered 2-million+ lbf (and it will be over 2 million, folks ...), it's gonna be a right vulgar beast of an engine. Knowing SpaceX and how they're doing things, I believe we have enough data to start extrapolating what BFR's engine capabilities are going to be now. ;) I'll continue this train of thought in the BFR/MCT Conjecture Thread. :yes: 

• Like 1

Missing a couple of Merlin engines on the back of that food truck .... otherwise .... looks great!

If Spaceballs could do it ... so can SpaceX

626b80dd797753892d9d080c34b3758b.jpg

• Like 2