Office 2016 updates never progress

Question

With Office 2016 Pro Plus it says updates are available but then just sits on the following downloading updates screen never actually doing anything. It has been there for hours now. Anyone know what's up?

office.thumb.png.2ccc0294771c160fe643aca

16 answers to this question

Id put it down to your connection speed. Its about a 5gb update. So if your only downloading at say 200kb/sec or something, that download is going to crawl.

If it's still giving you trouble, see if you can stop the installer, force a reboot.
Run the Microsoft Fixit at the bottom - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-2013-Office-2016-or-Office-365-from-a-Windows-computer-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8
Then try the re-install.

Oh, it's the typical one step forward two step backwards from Microsoft. The C2R update system was much quicker so they had to ruin it with slow and unreliable C2R servers, and with a completely useless update progress dialog that gives zero useful informations.

Id put it down to your connection speed. Its about a 5gb update. So if your only downloading at say 200kb/sec or something, that download is going to crawl.

How do you know what his connection speed is ?

My internet is 100Mbit and it has been on this screen for a good hour now. Don't think it is the download speed. Reliability History tells me the ClickToRun installer crashed but no solution is available and no more info is given. Thanks Microsoft! :(

I often get this when I updating my Office 365 Pro Plus (2016) installation. I suggest you restart the machine and try again.

If you are running Windows 10 and you happen have Defer Windows Updates enabled, disable that.

Restarting and trying again usually resolves it, if not, open Add/Remove Programs and click Change and perform the Online Repair and it should redownload the latest build.

Its not a matter of size, because I am able to update it on just a 1 MB connection. Its just that the C2R installer has issues with the connection at times and just stalls.

If you have Win8/Win10 you can check if it's still downloading by using the task manager (there's a "Network" column in the "Processes" view of the Task Manager). I think you can safely reboot and try again if there's no network or disk activity from "Office Click 2 Run" or "Windows Installer".

My internet is 100Mbit and it has been on this screen for a good hour now. Don't think it is the download speed. Reliability History tells me the ClickToRun installer crashed but no solution is available and no more info is given. Thanks Microsoft! :(

I ran into this issue Thursday night.  Whatever update came ... took dang near 2 to 3 hours.  I didn't know what it was doing either...rebooted once just to see if it had hung.  Anyway, decided to watch a movie and at some point it finished.

With that said, I almost came on here that night to get on the "soapbox" about the lack of information during updates.  It is great to see that Office is downloading updates and that I can continue to use it ... but for peaks sakes ... give me at least a percentage that increases every so often.  The only way I really knew it was downloading something was that my hard drive space was decreasing.  

I still haven't been able to find any information on this particular update (what it fixes ... any new features?)

I just ran my update on 2016 (365) - the download part took about 15 minutes, then the install part took about a minute.

Try this:

Reboot
Disable all AV software
run the Update by opening an Office app (I used Word) click on File>Account, then click on Update Options, Update Now

See if that kicks things off.  (mine had a delay of a minute or two before it starting moving along)

Well after 3 hours I get the helpful error "Something went wrong" with the error 30088-28. A quick google shows this is the most generic error with Office updates and the list to "resolve" it is 40 odd things long. I think I am just gonna leave it for now and look again in a couple of days.

Oh, it's the typical one step forward two step backwards from Microsoft. The C2R update system was much quicker so they had to ruin it with slow and unreliable C2R servers, and with a completely useless update progress dialog that gives zero useful informations.

I've had no issues here across 4 different machines on different network connections with Windows and OS X. I guess someone having a problem was a good opportunity for a jab at MS though.

Well after 3 hours I get the helpful error "Something went wrong" with the error 30088-28. A quick google shows this is the most generic error with Office updates and the list to "resolve" it is 40 odd things long. I think I am just gonna leave it for now and look again in a couple of days.

Well if you decide to take another stab at it - try my method 1st - it certainly makes more sense than the method you have tried over and over again unsuccessfully. :/

Well if you decide to take another stab at it - try my method 1st - it certainly makes more sense than the method you have tried over and over again unsuccessfully. :/

Yeah I was checking for updates manually. It sat on the downloading screen for 3 hours then error'd on me. Oh well.

Would it kill them to give up a progress bar that actually showed the progress? I would really like to talk to the person(s) who thought it would be a good idea to have a bar that gives no indication how far the download is or how much longer its going to take to complete.

• Like 2

Would it kill them to give up a progress bar that actually showed the progress? I would really like to talk to the person(s) who thought it would be a good idea to have a bar that gives no indication how far the download is or how much longer its going to take to complete.

Yeah I know, I love the idea of having a tiny setup.exe which always grabs the latest version for me but it is soooooo limited in functionality it does my head. I don't want it to install Skype and Access and Publisher for example. Yes I get them as part of my license but I don't want or need them but there is no way to prevent installation without getting the god damn Office Deployment Kit and writing my own xml file. Talk about a horrible experience. The whole Click2Run idea is great but Microsoft did a horrible implementation. 

Microsoft take a step forward in supporting their "power users" with things like enhancements to cmd, virtual desktops, the Win+X "power" menu, etc. but then they gimp the new Office installer unless you just happen to be a volume license customer. Sigh. It really is one step forward then two steps back. :(

i ran into this issue last weekend. The progress bar just spins and spins but never progresses w/ the downloads. I gave up eventually. After a laptop reboot i tried again and then it doesnt work at all. The box never pops up. I gave up.