Windows Updates Tries to Install Office 2013 Patches After 2016 Install

I recently upgraded from Office 2013 to 2016 via MS's HUP. Afaik they dont give you the option to do a fresh install of 2016, so i had to upgrade from 2013.

Since then, WU still searches for, and tries to install, updates for 2013. Of course, they fail over and over again. I cannot get any 2016 updates now.

Does anyone know how to stop this from happening so that i can get 2016 updates? Also, in Update History, it still lists (47) 2013 updates and zero 2016 updates.

office_updates.thumb.JPG.3a27f4020db1ae3

I wonder if those updates were in route prior to upgrade to 2016. I am not having this issue.

Maybe try something like this?

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-windows-update-reset-windows-10-a.html

haha - im not going to be the guinea pig of that bat file, but yes, something like that. i forgot to mention in my original post that i tried to delete all contents of both the SoftwareDistribution and Downloads folder in the Windows directory. After that, WU scanned again but re-downloaded the same 2013 patches again.

haha - im not going to be the guinea pig of that bat file, but yes, something like that. i forgot to mention in my original post that i tried to delete all contents of both the SoftwareDistribution and Downloads folder in the Windows directory. After that, WU scanned again but re-downloaded the same 2013 patches again.

I wasn't thinking of running the bat file. Run each individual command.

I know this is probably a dumb question but is 2013 uninstalled?  We had our PCs update to 2013 and they still had the older 2010 (or even 2007) installed which needed to be uninsalled.

I know this is probably a dumb question but is 2013 uninstalled?  We had our PCs update to 2013 and they still had the older 2010 (or even 2007) installed which needed to be uninsalled.

not as far as i can tell, no

Check your C:\Program Files (or x86 one depending on 32 or 64 bit install)\Microsoft Office folder and look for the Office14 folder. I would check the other Program Files one too just to make sure. If you have that, you still have remnants of 2013. 

Are you sure you have to upgrade? They don't give you an option to completely uninstall, install 2016 and then prove that you own Office 2013 by providing a key/setup file?

There must be some MSIs from Office 2013 still installed. Or one of the Office viewers. There's an official guide to manually remove Office installs but you could try inserting the Office 2013 disc, finding all the MSI files in it and then right-clicking and selecting Uninstall on each of them.

I had Office 2013. I uninstalled that, then upgraded to 2016 (These are Home editions).

I've never had a Office security update through Windows Update like that. I manually update my Windows Update.

I just assumed they were doing security updates for Office when I got the Office updates.

When I upgraded to Office 2016 using HUP, 2016 installed alongside 2013 so I was able to actually run both. I had to manually uninstall 2013.

There must be some MSIs from Office 2013 still installed. Or one of the Office viewers. There's an official guide to manually remove Office installs but you could try inserting the Office 2013 disc, finding all the MSI files in it and then right-clicking and selecting Uninstall on each of them.

ok, i just tried the official guide and rebooted my computer. After the reboot i cleared out the downloads from the SoftwareDistribution folder. after checking for updates, same result.

it looks like im going to have to completely reinstall office 2016 and manually delete any remaining folders.

anyone have any further suggestions?

ok, i just tried the official guide and rebooted my computer. After the reboot i cleared out the downloads from the SoftwareDistribution folder. after checking for updates, same result.

it looks like im going to have to completely reinstall office 2016 and manually delete any remaining folders.

Same here using the msi vl editions.

Did you try checking what MSI from office 2013 are still installed? WU usually scans each single MSI/MSP file.

Did you try checking what MSI from office 2013 are still installed? WU usually scans each single MSI/MSP file.

i havent. how do i do that? do i have to look in the ISO and match them to what's on my hard drive?

i havent. how do i do that? do i have to look in the ISO and match them to what's on my hard drive?

Try running the Office 2013 setup and see if it detects the current install and shows the modify/uninstall buttons. If that doesn't work look in the " Step 1: Remove any remaining Windows Installer packages for Office " section of the guide I linked in my previous post.

Try running the Office 2013 setup and see if it detects the current install and shows the modify/uninstall buttons. If that doesn't work look in the " Step 1: Remove any remaining Windows Installer packages for Office " section of the guide I linked in my previous post.

unfortunately that Step 1 thing didnt work either. i uninstalled all of the msi's, but the main Office 2013 msi doesnt uninstall. still, after i removed all the other MSI's, i rebooted, cleared the WU cache and scanned again. the result was the same - same damned 2013 updates downloading and failing to install.

The Office 2013 Setup method didnt work either.

unfortunately that Step 1 thing didnt work either. i uninstalled all of the msi's, but the main Office 2013 msi doesnt uninstall. still, after i removed all the other MSI's, i rebooted, cleared the WU cache and scanned again. the result was the same - same damned 2013 updates downloading and failing to install.

The Office 2013 Setup method didnt work either.

Was there an error message when you tried uninstall the main Office 2013 MSI?