Formula 1 World Championship 2016 Season Discussion

Formula 1 World Championship 2016 Poll  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the 2016 Drivers Championship?

• Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Sebastian Vettel
    • Kimi Räikkönen
    • Valterri Bottas
    • Felipe Massa
    • Daniil Kvyat
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Sergio Pérez
    • Nico Hülkenberg
    • Kevin Magnussen
    • Jolyon Palmer
    • Max Verstappen
    • Carlos Sainz, Jr.
    • Felipe Nasr
    • Marcus Ericsson
    • Jenson Button
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Pascal Wehrlein
    • Rio Haryanto
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Esteban Gutiérrez
  2. 2. Who do you think will win the 2016 Constructors Championship?

• Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Williams Martini Racing
    • Red Bull Racing
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Renault F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • McLaren Honda
    • Manor Marussia F1 Team
    • Haas F1 Team

Wow, Rosberg once again can't deal with Hamilton having a good passing run on him.  Rosberg is now under investigation for causing a collision and failing to stop with a seriously damaged car.

Edited by SecretAgentMan
  • Like 1

Almost forgot that Wehrlein picked up his first F1 point; well done to him and Manor (and the stewards for not punishing him for briefly being in the wrong starting position)!

If anyone here still wants more after that, the final Formula E race of the season is starting very soon on ITV.

Poor driving from Rosberg there. He could afford second and threw away at least 13 points. Should take a penalty for forcing Lewis off the track and causing the collision, but probably will get away with driving with the broken car.

Mercedes announces A-class Rosberg Edition

Mercedes has announced a special ‘Nico Rosberg’ edition of its A45 AMG hot hatchback which boasts a number of bespoke features including a unique ‘brake fault’ that provides the driver with the perfect excuse for acting like a bellend.

Sources in Stuttgart say the A45 Nico Rosberg Edition is specifically tuned for manoeuvres such as failing to take a corner properly, twatting into another motorist and other situations in which the driver deliberately doesn’t use enough steering lock like a silly ######.

In the event of an accident, the A45 Nico Rosberg Edition comes with a comprehensive recovery package which entitles the owner to a full diagnostic check, after which the dealer will tell them there is a ‘brake fault’ even though that doesn’t really tally with the dick move that got them into trouble in the first place.

On top of the made up brake problems and inadequate steering lock, each Nico Rosberg Edition A-class is registered in three different countries and designed to emit a regular whining sound.

And in the small ads...

Smallad160704.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/3/2016 at 3:36 PM, MightyJordan said:

Almost forgot that Wehrlein picked up his first F1 point; well done to him and Manor (and the stewards for not punishing him for briefly being in the wrong starting position)!

tbh I don't think it's a good thing he went unpunished. Reversing on the starting grid could have disastrous consequences. Fortunately he had started doing it before the lights had come on. If Whiting hadn't seen it/wasn't told about it and therefore delayed the countdown, he could well have been reversing into someone about to launch off the line. You're not supposed to go backwards on track for obvious reasons. I don't see why it should be any different on the grid.

Hamilton "destroyed" room after Baku qualifying mistake - Lauda

Lewis Hamilton was so furious about losing pole position to Nico Rosberg at the European Grand Prix that he "destroyed" his private room at the Mercedes offices, team chief Niki Lauda has revealed.

Lifting the lid on what Lauda said was a "lie" when Hamilton claimed he was getting on better than ever with his teammate, the Mercedes non-executive chairman has given a fascinating insights into the tensions going on behind the scenes.

In an interview for Red Bull channel Servus TV, which was recorded last Friday but only broadcast last night, Lauda confirmed that speculation Hamilton had been left in a rage after his qualifying error in Baku was correct.

Pushed by veteran journalist Roger Benoit on the programme about reports Hamilton had destroyed his room after Rosberg took pole position, Lauda said: “He did it because he had crashed. He’ll have to pay for that [the destroyed room]. You can count on that.

“He told me I couldn’t come in because he was going to destroy everything. This is how it was.”

Lied in interview

Although the tensions between Hamilton and Rosberg erupted in the Austrian race, even at the time the interview was done it was clear to Lauda that things were far from as perfect as had been suggested.

In an interview with the Mail on Sunday ahead of the Austrian GP, Hamilton had claimed that things with Rosberg were better than they had ever been.

“It’s actually really good with Nico at the moment,’ said Hamilton. “Really, really good. Surprisingly.

“I would definitely not have expected it to be where it is. I guess it is probably with age.

"He’s a family man. He’s got a kid. He has probably grown in that process and I have grown and come of age. The respect that we have always talked about is bigger than it has ever been.”

But Lauda has said that Hamilton's claims are well wide of the mark, and the situation between the pair is nowhere near as rosy.

“Lewis lied about that, simple as that,” explained Lauda. “He just said something. He wanted to be the softener in order to have his peace last weekend.

"He does what he can. The fight gets hotter the longer Nico is in front.”

Source: Motorsport.com

20 minutes ago, what said:

tbh I don't think it's a good thing he went unpunished. Reversing on the starting grid could have disastrous consequences. Fortunately he had started doing it before the lights had come on. If Whiting hadn't seen it/wasn't told about it and therefore delayed the countdown, he could well have been reversing into someone about to launch off the line. You're not supposed to go backwards on track for obvious reasons. I don't see why it should be any different on the grid.

Charlie Whiting saw what he was doing and waited until he got into position before turning on the red lights. And Wehrlein knew from his DTM days that it isn't against the rules to reverse on the track - only in the pitlane - so he technically didn't do anything wrong and cleverly recovered from that mistake (which most of us would have made, too). Anthony Davidson's analysis on it is worth a look: https://streamable.com/85gd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MightyJordan said:

Charlie Whiting saw what he was doing and waited until he got into position before turning on the red lights. And Wehrlein knew from his DTM days that it isn't against the rules to reverse on the track - only in the pitlane - so he technically didn't do anything wrong and cleverly recovered from that mistake (which most of us would have made, too). Anthony Davidson's analysis on it is worth a look: https://streamable.com/85gd

So the stewards wanted to punish him, but there's no rule saying you can't reverse on the grid. I bet that'll change soon ;) As I said, had Whiting not seen it, there could have been a problem.

2 minutes ago, what said:

So the stewards wanted to punish him, but there's no rule saying you can't reverse on the grid. I bet that'll change soon ;)

Yeah, we know the FIA love to close a loophole as soon as a driver finds one. A perfect example: Michael Schumacher winning the 1998 British Grand Prix from the pit lane (then they changed the rules so that you'd get an extra penalty on top of the original if you didn't serve it during the race).

10 minutes ago, what said:

So the stewards wanted to punish him, but there's no rule saying you can't reverse on the grid. I bet that'll change soon ;) As I said, had Whiting not seen it, there could have been a problem.

Whiting hadn't, but the green flag guy a the back had, and Whiting can't (or shouldn't) activate the light sequence until he's cleared, he's there for exactly that reason, so be a 2nd pair of eyes and ensure cars further back aren't having problems before the start.

So was all fine.

7 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

Whiting hadn't, but the green flag guy a the back had, and Whiting can't (or shouldn't) activate the light sequence until he's cleared, he's there for exactly that reason, so be a 2nd pair of eyes and ensure cars further back aren't having problems before the start.

So was all fine.

From memory the green flag had been waived straight away and there was a delay before the countdown started while Wehrlein sorted himself out?

I also believe in Baku the race started while the green flag man was still on circuit because he took too long to get across.

1 hour ago, what said:

From memory the green flag had been waived straight away and there was a delay before the countdown started while Wehrlein sorted himself out?

I also believe in Baku the race started while the green flag man was still on circuit because he took too long to get across.

Yep, the guy with the green flag was definitely waving so it must have been someone like Whiting who spotted it although does the lights sequence only start once the green flag guy has reached the pitwall? I can't say I've taken that much notice before but I don't think it does, there seemed to be a much longer pause before the lights started imo.

IF Ant Davidson is right and it's not against the rules I'd say it should be at least considered, in this case it was a simple yet easy mistake because Massa wasn't on the grid but they need someway of being 100% sure everyone is stationary and people don't use it to lay some extra rubber down.

Pretty sure the flag guys stops half way across or at least slows, and only resumes/speeds up when Wehrlein stops reversing.

Either way, he was within the rules and scored a point which is great for him and Manor.

• Like 2

That's a great video. I think the most impressive part is how quickly he looks at the mirror coming out of the pits. Blink and you'll miss the dot moving across and back. To be able to decide whether not its clear in that time is serious skill.

The bit about the lights is slightly wrong though. Drivers react to the red light going out, not the green light switching on. That's why F1 races start with the red lights going out. They used to use green lights, but they realised they were pointless.

I hadn't considered Max for one second to get DoTD, would have thought either Button or Wehrlein for sure, as both did very well.

I think now more than ever it's showing a changing of the guard is needed at Sauber to bring them back, it all went downhill as soon as Peter Sauber left.

Just now, MightyJordan said:
<snip>

I was just talking to someone about this yesterday saying that Mercedes are going to be pretty frustrated after Lewis is telling everyone everything is fine and then non-exec board member has came out and just completely ruined all that positive PR, not only by calling him a liar but leaking what could be some pretty embarrassing behaviour! 

They can issue whatever statement they want but that seed has been planted now, it won't go away.