Networked visited by University of Michigan

dude what are you doing??

> nslookup cnn.com

Teredo that is one of MS ipv6 over ipv4..  Yeah your box is asking your router to open it up... Why do you have UPnP enabled?

I would just disable ipv6 if your not using it..

elevated cmd prompt

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255

reboot..

1 hour ago, Jared- said:

TP-Link, gross! 

It's better than some of the routers out there. Linksys is owned by some garbage company. Netgear's have always been crap for my family. I think I'll just pick up something SMB style.

55 minutes ago, BudMan said:

dude what are you doing??

> nslookup cnn.com

Teredo that is one of MS ipv6 over ipv4..  Yeah your box is asking your router to open it up... Why do you have UPnP enabled?

I would just disable ipv6 if your not using it..

elevated cmd prompt

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255

reboot..

I'm not doing anything. I've not messed with ANY network properties at all. As for UPnP, I think it came default that way.

53 minutes ago, Jared- said:

Or you could simply uncheck it in Network properties?

I'll do that. Haha.

Edit: After setting it in the adapter settings, still the same issue. I give up. I'll just freaking live with it.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Ehhhh they have some good quality routers for home use.

I thought I had one of the good ones, however for $70 I guess it's not.

I'm just going to deal with it until I've got some spare cash. I'll buy a switch + WAP and call it good. Either end up hosting the Firewall, or I'll buy a physical one. I'm frustrated as all hell with whats going on. Never had this problem before, the second I introduce a new machine to the network, I have loads of problems.

Just now, BinaryData said:

I thought I had one of the good ones, however for $70 I guess it's not.

I'm just going to deal with it until I've got some spare cash. I'll buy a switch + WAP and call it good. Either end up hosting the Firewall, or I'll buy a physical one. I'm frustrated as all hell with whats going on. Never had this problem before, the second I introduce a new machine to the network, I have loads of problems.

have you tried ddwrt or openwrt with it yet?

Just now, Circaflex said:

have you tried ddwrt or openwrt with it yet?

No. If it was just myself using it, I would. My family uses it, and I'd rather not screw with it and break it. Or make it unusable. I'll just deal with it, and get something else later this month.

7 minutes ago, Jared- said:

Dont even do that, just factory reset it and start again. You've clearly got a configuration issue. 

I agree, start over and don't overreact to a post scan again, all you've done is break things for no good reason that misplaced paranoia 

1 minute ago, Anibal P said:

I agree, start over and don't overreact to a post scan again, all you've done is break things for no good reason that misplaced paranoia 

I didn't do anything with settings. I just took the ftp server offline, and turned Windows Firewall back on. That's all I did.

Just now, Jared- said:

You really are your own worst enemy.

That's why I post here, however I've become aware at how confusing people can be when they don't post exactly what they want you to do. If you want me to jump through hoops, tell me how many or for how long. I know a fair bit, however I don't know Windows/Linux like I should. I didn't even know what the heck dig was until I Googled.

So you can't restart your modem, and configure enough (login username and password) and go from there?

Basic checklist:

- INternet works as expected fresh restart - tick.

- Internet works as expected after changing DHCP to scope of my choosing - tick. 

- Internet works as expected after changing the default DNS on it t Google - tick

Etc.. 

Process of elimination. 

23 minutes ago, Jared- said:

So you can't restart your modem, and configure enough (login username and password) and go from there?

Basic checklist:

- INternet works as expected fresh restart - tick.

- Internet works as expected after changing DHCP to scope of my choosing - tick. 

- Internet works as expected after changing the default DNS on it t Google - tick

Etc.. 

Process of elimination. 

I'll reset it tonight. I may just do ddwrt or openwrt, if it gives me more control.

I called my ISP, they said resetting my router won't have any effect on internet service, as long as I don't change MAC Addresses, I'm good.

Question, could running 2 of the same services that use the same port cause an issue? I don't think it would, my desktop has PLEX running on 32400, my server has it running on the same port. However the port is only forwarded to my address of .100. I'm hoping to not have to reset because I don't remember all the ports I had open and for what. Lol.

5 minutes ago, Jared- said:

Why dont you just take a screen shot of the port forward page before you blow it away? lol 

More of I don't know what ports go to what programs, lol.

32 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I called my ISP, they said resetting my router won't have any effect on internet service, as long as I don't change MAC Addresses, I'm good.

Why on earth would resetting your router effect the internet service?

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Why on earth would resetting your router effect the internet service?

Because it did with my old Linksys. It wouldn't work if I reset it. Tech Support changed their hours now, open till 10PM. Wanted to make sure I didn't break my internet before I did anything.

They assign my mac address to whatever. I'm not fully aware of how they do it.

1 minute ago, Jared- said:

Lame that you can't label them, even I can do that in my netgear. 

Yup. I think I'll be buying some new gear, and giving this router to my mom for her apartment. It'll be used for streaming netflix, and surfing.

5 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Because it did with my old Linksys. It wouldn't work if I reset it. Tech Support changed their hours now, open till 10PM. Wanted to make sure I didn't break my internet before I did anything.

They assign my mac address to whatever. I'm not fully aware of how they do it.

So when you buy a router from the store, you have to call tech support before it works with the router? that doesn't even sound remotely correct.

4 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

So when you buy a router from the store, you have to call tech support before it works with the router? that doesn't even sound remotely correct.

Because of the fiber line I'm on. I live in a city with less than 35,000 people. The utility company owns the fiber lines and rents them out to other companies. Verizon doesn't even own the poles for most of the inner city stuff. I can't even begin to explain how it works, all I know is, any new router/switch/firewall I buy, I have to call them, give them the MAC and they assign it. Wait 5 minutes and everything works.

Just now, Jared- said:

I'm surprised support is only open till 10PM!! Hell even I'm on 24/7 support when I'm on call. 

I pay $55 per month for 100Mbit up/down unmetered. They are open 7 days a week though, which is nice.

4 minutes ago, Jared- said:

$55 :O!!

I bloody pay $59.99 a month for ADSL2+ (I do get 15mbit lol) and phone line rental. Unmetered though :) 

We don't have a house phone, I can get a VoIP phone for $5 though.