Windows activation problem

I used AutopatcherXP on a preload of XP pro. I have been unable to activate the XP now. Is there anything in the autopatcher settings which could have affected this.

Internet activation failed. Activation by phone failed. Another license was obtained from the retailer with the same result. :cry:

Is it possible I have effed up using autopatcher prematurely (I just didn't think of activation) or has the retailer? :blush:

Any ideas?

This was a couple weeks ago and not on my PC. I chose conservative options when I ran Auotpatcher the first time but forgot to uncheck some options on a second run so I am not sure what tweaks etc were run. :wacko:

hhhmmm... as far as i know there isnt any option in there which could mess with activation. I have never tested this (i always activate and then use AP) though...

/Raptor

running Autopatcher XP prematurely doesnt effect or damage the xp-activation stuff.

I guess you didn't backed up your wpa.dbl file,

Next time you are gonna do this.. keep the following steps in mind ! :

If you are doing a repair reinstall of XP on the same hardware, you can back up the activation status and then restore it after you run the repair install of the OS. To save the activation status, back up the wpa.dbl file from the %systemroot%\system32 folder to a floppy disk.

After the repair install of the OS is complete, start in Minimal Safe mode. Open the \%systemroot%\system32 folder. Rename wpa.dbl to wpa.noact. Copy the backed up wpa.dbl file to the system32 folder. Reboot your system.

This isn't a hack to avoid activating installations and will work only on the same hardware for an XP installation that you've already activated.

hmmm so its the hotfixes doing the mess... damn... i guess next time you should first activate and then do whatever you wanna do :D

/Raptor

Nah,

could not verify the activation
i've seen this more often.. if you change partition size or hardware components the activation is not valid anymore.. did you guys change anything @ your partitions or hardware?

imho the hotfixes dont damage your activation

What do you exactly mean with ''preload''?

I assume he either means it's a plain Fresh install.... OR, he means he used the Windows XP OEM Preinstallation Kit. I guess we'll just hafta wait for him to returen for us to know for sure.

What do you exactly mean with ''preload''?

I guess it's probably what Flishfun said (the OEM install). The kit was a known brand return sold on with a fresh copy of XP Pro preloaded. When I started up the PC for the first time it went straight into the windows setup IIRC.

This situation is now resolved. It is unlikely APXp had anything to do with the problem. Micosoft seemed to think the company were loading up the PCs from one 'type' of source and using licenses from another type.

Anyhow they sent a bootable OEM disk version inc SP1a with its licence attached which is now activated.

This situation is now resolved. It is unlikely APXp had anything to do with the problem. Micosoft seemed to think the company were loading up the PCs from one 'type' of source and using licenses from another type.

Anyhow they sent a bootable OEM disk version inc SP1a with its licence attached which is now activated.

Well glad you got it workin'... and glad to know the AP wasn't the cause. :)