How do I open/upload a MIG file from an external-drive with Microsoft 10?

21 minutes ago, xendrome said:

I think that's a Migration file from Windows 7? If so I don't think Windows 10 has an import tool, you'll have to manually move your stuff.

Manually... Please explain?  At least so far... I have been unable to open the MIG file. 

1 minute ago, CCinPA said:

Mr. Data, I had tried the MIG-Recover before... Figured I would try it again.  Unfortunately I get the attached error message... Help?

Untitled.png

Looks like it's corrupted then.

Just now, CCinPA said:

Manually... Please explain?  At least so far... I have been unable to open the MIG file. 

Means make a list of all your installed programs, and move all your personal files to an external, and upgrade then.

This is what they are recommending for Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

If you don't have your previous install around anymore, I don't know what to tell you.  I never use the tools for this reason.  Just copy documents and everything manually.

35 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

This is what they are recommending for Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

If you don't have your previous install around anymore, I don't know what to tell you.  I never use the tools for this reason.  Just copy documents and everything manually.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Looks good... Right?  One small detail...  Only PC>PC...  Doesn't work from an external hard-drive.  Bummer! 

Humm...  Don't I have to be able to open the MIG file in order to move the files within it?  I'm not technical... So will have to explain more please?

6 hours ago, CCinPA said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Looks good... Right?  One small detail...  Only PC>PC...  Doesn't work from an external hard-drive.  Bummer! 

http://www.laplink.com/pcmoverexpressxpeol

That mentions a hard drive, but it's a different version.  I would call them to verify.  They probably want you to use the easiest way, so that's why it's mentioned.  It might only be in the higher version, though.  No harm in asking...

Also, someone mentioned in a thread about:

if you are able to get a Windows 8 (not 8.1) iso image or disc, you should be able to find migwiz (WET/Windows Easy Transfer) in X:\Support\Migwiz

Copy the Migwiz folder and its contents. You can put it on a USB and run this on Windows 7/8/8.1/10 and use it as we always have to backup and migrate your data/profile. Just note that moving 7 to 8 or later will not copy settings but will copy data.

• 8 months later...