Offset smoker/grill how to?

I'm getting one of these grills with an offset smoker to replace the wobbly $10 grill I've been using.  Some of those BBQ sites don't seem to discuss the offset smoker very well though..

So normally you would put your cowboy lump charcoal in the offset chamber, then put the food in the big barrel area to the side (main grill) and let it slow cook. What's the deal with this picture showing hamburgers in the smoke chamber?  Is that smart/safe?  Can ya do that??

Also, can you put charcoals in the main grill for direct heat?  Or are these offset cookers specifically designed to have no coals in that area and only the offset chamber?

grill.png

1 minute ago, Izlude said:

Or are these offset cookers specifically designed to have no coals in that area and only the offset chamber?

I believe that is the case. I just use an old Weber grill.

Right'o!  So maybe try to fix old wobbler and keep it for my kebabs and dogs?  But for sure I love smoked briskets, sausages and that moist char that builds up over time on my steaks :) 

6 minutes ago, Izlude said:

Right'o!  So maybe try to fix old wobbler and keep it for my kebabs and dogs?  But for sure I love smoked briskets, sausages and that moist char that builds up over time on my steaks :) 

For hotdogs, and kebabs, I actually have a firepit I build every summer. Since our local laws state that you can only have a fire burning in your backyard when you're cooking or a religion requires it.

I actually need to replace my grill because my brother is an idiot and didn't cover it. So the gas lines have rusted in the BBQ. I may follow your suit, and get a charcoal grill for my steaks, briskets and sausage. Keep my gas for my burgers, and veggies. Use the open pit for dogs/kebabs/marshmellows, etc..

i have a combination grill from Smoke Hollow. it has a side-hanging smoker box. this is nothing more than a smaller wood/charcoal grill. I used it last year as a smoker when making ribs on the main grill. The wood chips would smoulder inside the small smoker box and provide low, indirect heat to the main grill.

again, the picture shows those burgers as an illustration that you can use it as a normal grill too. think of it as just a mini version of the main grill.

here's the grill that i have. note the smoker box on the right. it's also a grill.

maxresdefault.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i have a combination grill from Smoke Hollow. it has a side-hanging smoker box. this is nothing more than a smaller wood/charcoal grill. I used it last year as a smoker when making ribs on the main grill. The wood chips would smoulder inside the small smoker box and provide low, indirect heat to the main grill.

again, the picture shows those burgers as an illustration that you can use it as a normal grill too. think of it as just a mini version of the main grill.

here's the grill that i have. note the smoker box on the right. it's also a grill.

maxresdefault.jpg

What'd you pay for this baby?

Oooh that's a real nice one :o  I live out in the high desert (southern cal, hesperia/victorville area)  my back yard is literally dirt, no brush or weeds. I guess I could find out and then build a circle of rocks and make a pit :p  But wow, this is getting me excited.

19 minutes ago, Izlude said:

Oooh that's a real nice one :o  I live out in the high desert (southern cal, hesperia/victorville area)  my back yard is literally dirt, no brush or weeds. I guess I could find out and then build a circle of rocks and make a pit :p  But wow, this is getting me excited.

Houses still burn bro :p

I'll take a picture when I'm done with my backyard this year. Looking at putting a Pool/Hot tub in. :D