Treasury Removes Jackson From $20 Bill, Will Replace Him With Harriet Tubman

Presenting an artist's impression of what your new $20 bill will soon look like.

tubman%2020%20bill.jpg

It's official.

Moments ago Politico reported that the U.S. Treasury will announce that it plans to replace former President Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with Harriet Tubman, the sources said. There will also be changes to the $5 bill to depict civil rights era leaders including Marian Anderson, Eleanor Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr.

Not every dead president is being scraped however: treasury Secretary Jack Lew on Wednesday will announce a decision to keep Alexander Hamilton on the front of the $10 bill and put leaders of the movement to give women the right to vote on the back of the bill.

Lew's decision comes after he announced last summer that he was considering replacing Hamilton on the $10 bill with a woman. The announcement drew swift rebukes from fans of Hamilton, who helped create the Treasury Department and the modern American financial system. Critics immediately suggested Hamilton take Jackson off the $20 bill given the former president's role in moving native Americans off their land.

Jackson may remain on the $20 bill in some capacity, but will clearly be demoted.

Lew told POLITICO last July that Treasury was exploring ways to respond to critics. “There are a number of options of how we can resolve this,” Lew said. “We’re not taking Alexander Hamilton off our currency.”

Here is the official statement from the US Treasury:

Treasury Secretary Lew Announces Front of New $20 to Feature Harriet Tubman, Lays Out Plans for New $20, $10 and $5

4/20/2016 ?

WASHINGTON – In a letter to the American people, Treasury Secretary Jacob J. Lew today announced plans for the new $20, $10 and $5 notes, with the portrait of Harriet Tubman to be featured on the front of the new $20.

Secretary Lew also announced plans for the reverse of the new $10 to feature an image of the historic march for suffrage that ended on the steps of the Treasury Department and honor the leaders of the suffrage movement—Lucretia Mott, Sojourner Truth, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Alice Paul.  The front of the new $10 note will maintain the portrait of Alexander Hamilton.

Finally, he announced plans for the reverse of the new $5 to honor events at the Lincoln Memorial that helped to shape our history and our democracy and prominent individuals involved in those events, including Marian Anderson, Eleanor Roosevelt and Martin Luther King Jr.

The reverse of the new $20 will feature images of the White House and President Andrew Jackson.

In his letter, Secretary Lew noted that the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will work closely with the Federal Reserve to accelerate work on the new $20 and $5 notes, with the goal that all three new notes go into circulation as quickly as possible, consistent with security requirements.

For the full article: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-20/treasury-removes-jackson-20-bill-will-replace-him-harriet-tubman

7 hours ago, DeusProto said:

I agree with this change. Andrew Jackson was evil. He tried to commit genocide basically. 

A week from tomorrow Democrats at the local, state and federal levels will hold Jefferson-Jackson Day dinners, celebrating the founders of their party.

2 hours ago, DocM said:

A week from tomorrow Democrats at the local, state and federal levels will hold Jefferson-Jackson Day dinners, celebrating the founders of their party.

No, because Democrats know that both parties were swapped in their ideologies YEARS ago.

Also, Jackson is not being removed from the $20. He's being moved to the back.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

No, because Democrats know that both parties were swapped in their ideologies YEARS ago.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but while in some states the Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner is being renamed for PC reasons it's like naming a baseball stadium for a bank or utility- it'll still be J-JD to non-PC'ers. Just like Detroiters still call the new Comerica Park "Tiger Stadium."

That said, I welcome a black, Methodist, gun-toting Republican woman on the bill. 

CgiTTEfWMAAglW7.jpg

51oDdoKuaFL._SX333_BO1204203200_.jpg

Edited by DocM
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, DocM said:

That said, I welcome a black, Methodist, gun-toting Republican woman on the bill. 

CgiTTEfWMAAglW7.jpg

I wasn't sure how I felt about the change until I saw this. A $20 with this exact design would be awesome.

16 hours ago, DocM said:

whose life was basically centered on the motto: "Black Lives Matter".

Quite ironic given the current context ...

12 minutes ago, DefyTheOutcome said:

whose life was basically centered on the motto: "Black Lives Matter".

Quite ironic given the current context ...

I'm sure Tubman is probably rolling in her grave regarding the BLM movement.

Anyway...different times.  I'm happy to hear that she'll be on the 20 ... there shouldn't really be any controversy over this decision....or "political correctness" as Trump stated.  A former slave who risked her life to save hundreds of slaves.

4 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

I'm sure Tubman is probably rolling in her grave regarding the BLM movement.

Would she? It is quite easy for summon the dead and speak on their behalf. I do not like this kind of projection.

Regardless of that, trying to equate Republican and Democrats of the American Civil with their 21st century counterparts is revisionism and I do not like that either.

4 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Anyway...different times.  I'm happy to hear that she'll be on the 20 ... there shouldn't really be any controversy over this decision....or "political correctness" as Trump stated.  A former slave who risked her life to save hundreds of slaves.

My first choice would have been Eleanore Roosevelt but Hariett Tubman is an excellent and wise decision

51 minutes ago, DefyTheOutcome said:

Would she? It is quite easy for summon the dead and speak on their behalf. I do not like this kind of projection.

Regardless of that, trying to equate Republican and Democrats of the American Civil with their 21st century counterparts is revisionism and I do not like that either.

My first choice would have been Eleanore Roosevelt but Hariett Tubman is an excellent and wise decision

The BLM is nothing but a farce which playing the victim card...but I'm sure that is for another thread.

I do agree with your last two points ... that this sudden changing of history (which you could also lay at the foot of BLM) is revisionism.  I do not like this sudden tarnishment of Andrew Jackson legacy, who lived in a different era.  Mrs. Roosevelt would have been a fine choice...as well as many other female leaders...but Tubman's choice is well deserved.

Just wonder if George Washington will be next ... haha.

On 4/21/2016 at 3:20 PM, DocM said:

Must remember that The Republicans freed the slaves and in the 1960's, many Democrats were against the civil right Act.

6 hours ago, DConnell said:

I wasn't sure how I felt about the change until I saw this. A $20 with this exact design would be awesome.

I totally agree, and it brings to mind the story of Tubman threatening to shoot slaves who got cold feet - they were going to be free, dead or alive, and not be able to betray anyone.

"Yes, if he was weak enough to give out, he'd be weak enough to betray us all and anyone who had helped us, and do you think I'd let so many die just for one coward man?" 

Not a subtle lady.

ISTM the depicted pistol is a Remington 1858 cap and ball revolver, which was a much better design than the Colts of the day. It's still popular as a reproduction, and widely sold in several styles and calibers from pocket pistol to full-size, .31 to a .44 which is very powerful.

I have two .44 cal 1858 pistols and a Cattleman's Carbine, which is a revolver rifle based on the pistol. The design holds up very well.

18 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

"In Trump We Trust - Making America Great Again"

Let me just say that, if that came to pass, it would probably have the same value in the real world that Monopoly money does.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yoshimitsu said:

Bad move. Someone really hates US forefathers. They could have made another bill may be $500 or $1000 and put that new ugly face on it.

Ignorant post.  1) Andrew Jackson wasn't a forefather 2) Ugly face?  Really?  Troll much?

Jackson might not be popular now, but he was effective.  Personally I would have preferred leaving the current money as it is and just making a new bill.  Put a woman on the $2 bill or make a new $15 bill.

On 21 April 2016 at 9:22 PM, Dot Matrix said:

Don't worry. When Trump is President, his face will be on all our dollar bills...

There are already plans to put Trump's head on a special brass quarter. It will officially be known as the "Two-bit Trump".