Mechanical Keyboards.. Is it just a gimmick?

12 hours ago, Alera said:

What kind of reds are they? D: You shouldn't be bottoming out Cherry MX Reds, they should be actuating with a very light touch! And what feedback on Reds, there is none is there?

They do actuate with a very light touch, but I intentionally bottom them out anyway. The feedback is from the keys bottoming out. Any additional feedback (bumps) makes the keys feel dirty/broken to me, so I stick with linear switches.

On 6/8/2016 at 0:16 AM, adrynalyne said:

Not smashing it sure helps ;)

I'm using a G710+ as well. It's as quiet as you make it imo. 

I I have an Apple keyboard at home. Coding on it is an absolutely miserable experience. 

Microsoft has actually MOSTLY made mechanical keyboards - starting with their original Natural Keyboard.  The successor (Natural Keyboard Elite) was also mechanical, their 6000 and above keyboards are all mechanical (both wired and wireless); this applies to the individual AND Desktop Set 6000 and above; however, the 2000 and 3000 series mostly are not mechanical. Not ALL Apple keyboards bite; the Apple ProBoard (standard with the iSight models of the PPC-driven G5) is one of the better standard keyboards with any computer - Apple or otherwise.  The hate on the wireless keyboards (even, if not especially the 6000 and above series) isn't because they aren't mechanical (because they are) - it is due to wireless lag and they have interference issues with some motherboards (notably ASUS).

11 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Microsoft has actually MOSTLY made mechanical keyboards - starting with their original Natural Keyboard.  The successor (Natural Keyboard Elite) was also mechanical, their 6000 and above keyboards are all mechanical (both wired and wireless); this applies to the individual AND Desktop Set 6000 and above; however, the 2000 and 3000 series mostly are not mechanical. Not ALL Apple keyboards bite; the Apple ProBoard (standard with the iSight models of the PPC-driven G5) is one of the better standard keyboards with any computer - Apple or otherwise.  The hate on the wireless keyboards (even, if not especially the 6000 and above series) isn't because they aren't mechanical (because they are) - it is due to wireless lag and they have interference issues with some motherboards (notably ASUS).

I think you might be confusing what makes a keyboard mechanical. The Natural Keyboard and Elite were membrane keyboards. Pretty sure the 6000 series are the same.