How Tesla Autopilot drove a man with a blood clot to the hospital, and expanded the autonomous car debate

When Joshua Neally left his office in Springfield, MO, climbed into his Tesla Model X, and merged onto the highway to head home, he did what many Tesla drivers do—he switched on Autopilot mode.

Neally, who reportedly pays close attention while driving Autopilot, following Tesla's guidelines for use, may have expected the advanced driving feature to kick in, braking if a vehicle crossed its path or alerting him if a nearby car slid too close into his lane.

But, when Neally began experiencing tightness in his chest and, after calling his wife, realized he needed to get to the hospital, he used Autopilot in a way he probably never expected: To rush him straight to the hospital.

The tightness in his chest turned out to be caused by a pulmonary embolism, and Neally was able to make a full recovery.

"I don't really think I could have [made the drive without Autopilot]," Neally told CBS.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-tesla-autopilot-drove-a-man-with-a-blood-clot-to-the-hospital-and-expanded-the-autonomous-car/

I think this is pretty awesome and brings some positive spin to the whole autonomous car. People keep thinking Skynet, but I like to see results like this and to think the system will only improve over time.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:21 PM, Circaflex said:

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-tesla-autopilot-drove-a-man-with-a-blood-clot-to-the-hospital-and-expanded-the-autonomous-car/

I think this is pretty awesome and brings some positive spin to the whole autonomous car. People keep thinking Skynet, but I like to see results like this and to think the system will only improve over time.

But it is Skynet, if it isn't then it'll be I-Robot

*shudders*

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I wonder what the difference would have been if he called 911?

Hard to say...we had a robbery happen here with someone locked inside upstairs, and it took the police over 2 hours to respond via 911 call.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Hard to say...we had a robbery happen here with someone locked inside upstairs, and it took the police over 2 hours to respond via 911 call.

but ambulance/paramedics surely would be quicker?

• Like 1